* About xstring and ConTeXt
@ 2020-07-07 18:40 Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reading about macro bundles meant to be generic (format agnostic), some of
them work in plain/LaTeX, but crash when loaded on ConTeXt. The following
happens with xstring.tex

tex error > tex error on line 372 in file xstring.tex: ! Illegal parameter
number in definition of \xs_reserved_C

<to be read again>

1

\xs_newlines ->\unexpanded {}\xs_def \xs_arg_i {##1

}

\xs_newmacro_ ...name \xs_myarg }\edef \xs_reserved_C {\unexpanded
\expandafter {\xs_newlines

}\edef \noexpand \xs_call }\edef \xs_reserved_D {...

l.372 \xs_newmacro\StrRemoveBraces{}{1}{1}

{%

<empty file>

You meant to type ## instead of #, right? Or maybe a } was forgotten
somewhere

earlier, and things are all screwed up? I'm going to assume that you meant
##.

I've tried changing the catcode regime, but with no effect.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm aware of ConTeXt capabilities and string
manipulation via Lua. My question is more like: "Why doesn't xstring.tex?"

Sorry if my question is outside the scope of ConTeXt
developers/maintainers. Thank you very much.

Jairo :)

* Re: About xstring and ConTeXt
@ 2020-07-07 18:53 ` Phelype Oleinik
From: Phelype Oleinik @ 2020-07-07 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jairo,

ConTeXt's \unexpanded is e-TeX's \protected, so the error boils down to
something like: \edef\x{\unexpanded{#}}, which works in Plain but not in
ConTeXt.

Usually packages that claim to be generic have to cope with that.
xstring would need to do (in a ConTeXt-specific loader):
    \let\xstring@unexpanded\normalunexpanded
and
    \let\xstring@unexpanded\unexpanded
in Plain and LaTeX loaders, then then use \xstring@unexpanded in the
code.  But `xstring` doesn't claim (that I found, at least) to be
compatible with ConTeXt, so it's understandable: though if it is
compatible with Plain, it wouldn't be hard to adapt to ConTeXt.

That said, you can load `xstring` if you do:
     \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
     \input xstring.tex
     \let\unexpanded\protected
but the internals of the package will probably be comprimised by the
misuse of (ConTeXt) \unexpanded.

Phelype

@ 2020-07-07 20:08   ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried with a wrapper and it seems to work fine. However, changing
definitions "on the fly" to make xstring usable seems to break things in
ConTeXt... Whatever. I guess I will have to find out other command
redefinitions in ConTeXt.

Thank you very much, Phelype.

Jairo :)

@ 2020-07-07 20:19   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-07-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phelype Oleinik schrieb am 07.07.2020 um 20:53:
> Hi Jairo,
>
> ConTeXt's \unexpanded is e-TeX's \protected, so the error boils down to
> something like: \edef\x{\unexpanded{#}}, which works in Plain but not in
> ConTeXt.
>
> Usually packages that claim to be generic have to cope with that.
> xstring would need to do (in a ConTeXt-specific loader):
>      \let\xstring@unexpanded\normalunexpanded
> and
>      \let\xstring@unexpanded\unexpanded
> in Plain and LaTeX loaders, then then use \xstring@unexpanded in the
> code.  But `xstring` doesn't claim (that I found, at least) to be
> compatible with ConTeXt, so it's understandable: though if it is
> compatible with Plain, it wouldn't be hard to adapt to ConTeXt.
>
> That said, you can load `xstring` if you do:
>       \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
>       \input xstring.tex
>       \let\unexpanded\protected
> but the internals of the package will probably be comprimised by the
> misuse of (ConTeXt) \unexpanded.

Bad idea because ConTeXt also changes the meaning of \protected (you can
use \normalprotected to get the primitve).

A better version is

\pushmacro\unexpanded
\let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
\input xstring
\popmacro\unexpanded

Wolfgang

* Re: About xstring and ConTeXt
@ 2020-07-07 20:25     ` Phelype Oleinik
From: Phelype Oleinik @ 2020-07-07 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:19 PM Wolfgang Schuster
<wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bad idea because ConTeXt also changes the meaning of \protected (you can
> use \normalprotected to get the primitve).

Oops, forgot about that one.

> A better version is
>
> \pushmacro\unexpanded
> \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
> \input xstring
> \popmacro\unexpanded

Nice, didn't know about \push/\popmacro. Thanks!

Phelype

* Re: About xstring and ConTeXt
@ 2020-07-07 21:21     ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-07 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank, Wolfgang! Both methods work, but both fail with the following
example:

\pushmacro\unexpanded
\let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
\input xstring
\popmacro\unexpanded
\starttext
\StrGobbleLeft{bcdef}{4}
\stoptext

The log says:

tex error > tex error on line 6 in file ./tests.tex: ! This can't happen
(prefixed command)

<argument> \unexpanded {

f}

\xs_execfirst #1#2->#1

However, some others work.

@ 2020-07-07 21:30       ` Phelype Oleinik
From: Phelype Oleinik @ 2020-07-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:21 PM Jairo A. del Rio <jairoadelrio6@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank, Wolfgang! Both methods work, but both fail with the following example:
>
> \pushmacro\unexpanded
> \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
> \input xstring
> \popmacro\unexpanded
> \starttext
> \StrGobbleLeft{bcdef}{4}
> \stoptext
>
> The log says:
>
> tex error > tex error on line 6 in file ./tests.tex: ! This can't happen (prefixed command)
>

> <argument> \unexpanded {
>
> f}
>
> \xs_execfirst #1#2->#1
>
> However, some others work.

As I said, the internals of `xstring` still use \unexpanded which, after
you do \popmacro\unexpanded, will mean e-TeX's \protected, rather than
\unexpanded, which are quite different.  To be on the safe side, you'd
need to wrap every `xstring` command in
    \pushmacro\unexpanded
    \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded
    <xstring stuff>
    \popmacro\unexpanded
to make sure that \unexpanded means what `xstring` expects.

The *proper* way to make `xstring` work in ConTeXt would be something
like Circuitikz does:
    \ifcsname normalunexpanded\endcsname
      \let\pgfcircutil@unexpanded\normalunexpanded
    \else
      \let\pgfcircutil@unexpanded\unexpanded
    \fi
then use \pgfcircutil@unexpanded in the code, which will always have the
same meaning.  That, of course, requires an update to `xstring`.

Phelype

* Re: About xstring and ConTeXt
@ 2020-07-07 22:00         ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-07-07 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yep, now it finally works. Certainly it requires a few more lines. I was
going to rewrite some TikZ code which was too dependent on LaTeX and
xstring was the last stone on the shoe. Thank you a lot, Phelype and
Wolfgang (I didn't know about push/popmacro either and now it's in my to-do
readings).

Jairo :D

@ 2020-07-08 10:15           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-07-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/8/2020 12:00 AM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Yep, now it finally works. Certainly it requires a few more lines. I was
> going to rewrite some TikZ code which was too dependent on LaTeX and
> xstring was the last stone on the shoe. Thank you a lot, Phelype and
> Wolfgang (I didn't know about push/popmacro either and now it's in my
> to-do readings).

We can have a module that takes care of some things, like

\usemodule[system-aliasing]

\registeralias\unexpanded\normalunexpanded  % preset
\registeralias\expanded  \normalexpanded    % preset

\registeraliasfile{rubish.tex}    % any file with that name
\registeraliasfile{generic/*.tex} % a bit more explicit

after which

\input rubish.tex
\input generic/foo.tex

(or whatever way it's loaded) will (hopefully) work ok. But as a module,
not in the core, because we don't want additional overhead for third
party stuff, but ok on user demand. Of course one cannot expect the
context dev to keep a list of files that need such a treatment.

Hans

@ 2020-07-08 17:47           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-07-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/8/2020 12:00 AM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Yep, now it finally works. Certainly it requires a few more lines. I was
> going to rewrite some TikZ code which was too dependent on LaTeX and
> xstring was the last stone on the shoe. Thank you a lot, Phelype and
> Wolfgang (I didn't know about push/popmacro either and now it's in my
> to-do readings).
Just wondering ... are there specific low level hel;pers (wrt strings)
that you need in context?

Hans