* Lettrine misbehaving in beta
@ 2012-01-14 22:34 Michael Guravage
From: Michael Guravage @ 2012-01-14 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Greetings,

If you run the following example with the current beta you will see that
the second and subsequent lines of the paragraph are pushed down below the
extent of the drop cap. This behavior appeared sometime after 2011.10.24.
Can anyone explain what is happening and suggest a solution?

\usemodule[lettrine]
\showgrid

\def\myhook {\definefontsynonym[LettrineFont][eusm10]}
\setuplettrine
  [Lines=5,
   FontHook={\red\myhook},
   Findent=0.2em,
   Nindent=0.2em,
   Oversize=1.0,
   Hang=0.15]

\setuplayout
  [grid=yes]

\starttext

  \lettrine{W}{e thrive} in information||thick worlds because of our
  marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit, single out,
  structure, highlight, group, pair, merge, harmonize, synthesize,
  focus, organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose, categorize,
  catalog, classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize,
  isolate, discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
  sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip, smooth, chunk,
  average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline, summarize,
  itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf
  through, skim, refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
  from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.

\stoptext

With kind regards,

Michael Guravage

* Re: Lettrine misbehaving in beta
@ 2012-03-22 15:44 ` James 'Twey' Kay
From: James 'Twey' Kay @ 2012-03-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this problem too… most frustrating :-\  I guess the drop-cap is
being counted as part of the line, and thereby increasing the line
height.

   — Twey

@ 2012-03-22 21:47   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-22 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-3-2012 16:44, James 'Twey' Kay wrote:
> I have this problem too… most frustrating :-\ I guess the drop-cap is
> being counted as part of the line, and thereby increasing the line height.

better try:

%D For the moment here: dropped caps redone. In addition to the
%D parameters shown in the example you can use the \type {style} and
%D more low level \type {font} keys to set up the font where
%D the first one wins. If you don't like the behaviour you can always
%D roll out your own command.
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \placeinitial \input ward \par \input ward \par \placeinitial \input
tufte
%D
%D \setupinitial
%D   [location=text,
%D    n=2,
%D    color=darkred,
%D    distance=-1em,
%D    hoffset=1em,
%D    voffset=-3ex,
%D    before=\blank]
%D
%D \placeinitial \input ward \par \input ward \placeinitial \input tufte
%D \stoptyping

(dropping caps is something that can interfere with anything else that
synchronizes at the start of a paragraph)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-03-23  0:15     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2012-03-23  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:47:13 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> (dropping caps is something that can interfere with anything else
> that synchronizes at the start of a paragraph)

Like \definetextbackground [Highlight] [location=paragraph] ?

Alan

* Re: Lettrine misbehaving in beta
@ 2012-03-23  9:11       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-03-23  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-3-2012 01:15, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:47:13 +0100
> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>

>> (dropping caps is something that can interfere with anything else
>> that synchronizes at the start of a paragraph)
>>

> Like \definetextbackground [Highlight] [location=paragraph] ?

yes, because that will put some positional info in front (you can try to
say: \tracepositions)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE