* How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 10:03 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-10 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I suggested to a friend, who is using plain TeX and LaTeX, to switch to ConTeXt, and since he is using TeXShop on MacOSX with a version of TeXLive2020 (named MacTeX2020), I thought he would just typeset a simple test document with the option « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » from the menu in TeXShop, where it does appear.

Unfortunately when doing this all he gets in the log file is:

/sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

and I could not help him make the format (I do not have access to his machine, and I was trying to explain what to do on the phone).

He cannot (or does not want) to install a standalone version of ConTeXt, and he thinks that since ConTeXt exists in TeXLive2020 it should work out of the box, as do plain TeX and LaTeX. My opinion is that he is right… But since for the tim ebeing this is not the case, can anyone explain what to do in order to enable ConTeXt running from TeXLive2020?

Thanks in advance for any help: Otared K.

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 10:37 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-08-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 10 Aug 2020, at 12:03, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I suggested to a friend, who is using plain TeX and LaTeX, to switch to ConTeXt, and since he is using TeXShop on MacOSX with a version of TeXLive2020 (named MacTeX2020), I thought he would just typeset a simple test document with the option « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » from the menu in TeXShop, where it does appear.
>
> Unfortunately when doing this all he gets in the log file is:
>
> /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.

My guess is that this missing init.csh is supposed to set up the correct PATH environment.

But that is as far as my knowledge goes…

Taco

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 10:39 ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-10 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 10.08.2020 um 12:03 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I suggested to a friend, who is using plain TeX and LaTeX, to switch to ConTeXt, and since he is using TeXShop on MacOSX with a version of TeXLive2020 (named MacTeX2020), I thought he would just typeset a simple test document with the option « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » from the menu in TeXShop, where it does appear.
>
> Unfortunately when doing this all he gets in the log file is:
>
> /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> and I could not help him make the format (I do not have access to his machine, and I was trying to explain what to do on the phone).

The TeXshop engine file says:

# Before using this engine, you must run the following command once in Terminal: luatools --generate

I probably did this when I installed TeXLive.

But I’m a little irritated by /sw/bin/.
Is this a real MacTeX installation and not something like homebrew?

Let’s start with the simple things:

What is the result of:
which context

it should be:
/Library/TeX/texbin/context

If that doesn’t work try:

which pdflatex

The result is probably not

/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex

but should give some indication where to look.

There may be an old installation of MacTeX without Context somewhere in the path.

If this is an old TeXShop installation, the Context engine may need an update because it points to the old PATH.
Simply copy the engine from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/inactive/ConTeXt to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines

Hope this helps
Axel

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 12:59   ` Otared Kavian
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alex,

Thank you and Taco for helping.
In order to help solve the problem of running ConTeXt from MacTeX, I installed MacTeX2020 (which is the same as TeXLive2020). Now if in a Terminal window I do
	which context
the answer is:
	/Library/TeX/texbin/context
And the answer to
	which pdflatex
is
	/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex
Also the answer to:
	which luatools
is
	/Library/TeX/texbin/luatools

So the binaries are in /Library/TeX/texbin, which is in fact an alias for
	/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-darwin

Now, as you and the « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » engin suggest, if I do
	luatools --generate
then the answer is:
	mtxrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'
It is possible that the version of mtxrun or luatools scripts in TeXLive are not working.

I don't remember what I did with TeXLive2019 to fix the issue, but my concern is that if including ConTeXt in TeXLive is intended for people to use it, then it SHOULD run without such tweakings which, even for someone who is a regular user of ConTeXt, are not easy to find.
The solution consisting of installing a standalone tree of ConTeXt, is not a real solution because many people do not know how to do it and, even if they could, then what would be the point of doing so much work for people who include a ConTeXt tree in TeXLive?

Anyway, I apologize for my acrimonius remarks, and I thank you again for your help.

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-10 13:07     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-08-10 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 10 Aug 2020, at 14:59, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you and Taco for helping.
> In order to help solve the problem of running ConTeXt from MacTeX, I installed MacTeX2020 (which is the same as TeXLive2020). Now if in a Terminal window I do
> 	which context
> the answer is:
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/context
> And the answer to
> 	which pdflatex
> is
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex
> Also the answer to:
> 	which luatools
> is
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/luatools
>
> So the binaries are in /Library/TeX/texbin, which is in fact an alias for
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-darwin
>
> Now, as you and the « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » engin suggest, if I do
> 	luatools --generate

Does

  mtxrun —generate

work?

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 13:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-08-10 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/10/2020 2:59 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you and Taco for helping.
> In order to help solve the problem of running ConTeXt from MacTeX, I installed MacTeX2020 (which is the same as TeXLive2020). Now if in a Terminal window I do
> 	which context
> the answer is:
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/context
> And the answer to
> 	which pdflatex
> is
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex
> Also the answer to:
> 	which luatools
> is
> 	/Library/TeX/texbin/luatools
>
> So the binaries are in /Library/TeX/texbin, which is in fact an alias for
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-darwin
>
> Now, as you and the « ConTeXt (LuaTeX) » engin suggest, if I do
> 	luatools --generate
> then the answer is:
> 	mtxrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'
> It is possible that the version of mtxrun or luatools scripts in TeXLive are not working.
>
> I don't remember what I did with TeXLive2019 to fix the issue, but my concern is that if including ConTeXt in TeXLive is intended for people to use it, then it SHOULD run without such tweakings which, even for someone who is a regular user of ConTeXt, are not easy to find.
> The solution consisting of installing a standalone tree of ConTeXt, is not a real solution because many people do not know how to do it and, even if they could, then what would be the point of doing so much work for people who include a ConTeXt tree in TeXLive?
>
> Anyway, I apologize for my acrimonius remarks, and I thank you again for your help.
The luatools script was there to offer some kpse like functionality but
it has been obsolete for ages (the generate was in mtx-base at that
time). Just use

   mtxrun --generate

or

   context --make

which does a generate anyway (normally)

Hans

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 14:08       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-10 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans and Taco,

Thanks for the help!
Doing
	context --make
results in
	mtxrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Doing
	mtxrun --generate
results in the lines (and much more):

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/opt/local/libexec/texlive'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/opt/local/libexec'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'texlive'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | using configuration specification 'home:texmf/web2c;/opt/local/etc/texmf'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path '/Users/kavian/texmf/web2c' from specification 'home:texmf/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path '/opt/local/etc/texmf' from specification '/opt/local/etc/texmf'
resolvers       | resolving | found regular configuration file '/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'

The directory
	/opt/local/libexec/texlive/binaries
exists and contains  (among other things) « context » which is a symlink to
	/opt/local/share/texmf-texlive/scripts/context/stubs/unix/context
which does not exist…

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-10 14:11     ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 10.08.2020 um 14:59 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>
> It is possible that the version of mtxrun or luatools scripts in TeXLive are not working.

Well, one more suggestion:
Use TeX Live Manager to update TeX-Live.
I didn’t see any comments about context not working, but maybe the update fixes something.
(You can filter for context related packages.)

There has been one update to „context“ in June 2020.

> I don't remember what I did with TeXLive2019 to fix the issue, but my concern is that if including ConTeXt in TeXLive is intended for people to use it, then it SHOULD run without such tweakings which, even for someone who is a regular user of ConTeXt, are not easy to find.

Well, it works here on a (relatively) clean install of 10.13.

> The solution consisting of installing a standalone tree of ConTeXt, is not a real solution because many people do not know how to do it and, even if they could, then what would be the point of doing so much work for people who include a ConTeXt tree in TeXLive?

It should work.

> Anyway, I apologize for my acrimonius remarks, and I thank you again for your help.

One more thing:
Please look at environment variables starting with TEX and comment them, they will cause problems.

And another one:
Please look into the home directory for a local .texlive2020 folder.
There shouldn’t be any and it shouldn’t contain anything context related.

Greetings
Axel

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 14:15       ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The luatools script was there to offer some kpse like functionality but it has been obsolete for ages (the generate was in mtx-base at that time). Just use
>
>  mtxrun --generate

Should the comment in the engine file change?

Context is called with:

mtxrun --script context --autogenerate --synctex=1 "$1“

Greetings
Axel

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-10 22:02       ` Otared Kavian
       [not found]         ` <CABaoHuseyOm++oDmxjmJteZHXjA+JnV8+yEwb1rnzZWEC=c09w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Axel,

> On 10 Aug 2020, at 16:11, Axel Kielhorn <tex@axelkielhorn.de> wrote:
> […]
> Well, one more suggestion:
> Use TeX Live Manager to update TeX-Live.
> I didn’t see any comments about context not working, but maybe the update fixes something.
> (You can filter for context related packages.)
>
> There has been one update to „context“ in June 2020.

I did update TeXLive with TeX Live Manager. But still I cannot run ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 (neither from TeXShop nor from Terminal).

> […]
> And another one:
> Please look into the home directory for a local .texlive2020 folder.
> There shouldn’t be any and it shouldn’t contain anything context related.

I checked for the existence of directories of the type .texlive2020: there is no such directory in my home directory.
There were three leftover directories .texlive2008, .texlive2010 and .texlive2019, which I removed.
Doing
	mtxrun --generate
creates a .texlive2019 directory which contains some other folders which are
	texmf-var/luatex-cache/context/88aacfe88c3cbee9a12d5f4bec4da90b/trees/
and in the latter folder there are 10 files with suffixes .lua and .luc.
Again
	context test.tex
results in
	mtxrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

So the problem remains…

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-11 14:57           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your attention to my problem.

> On 11 Aug 2020, at 03:44, Adam Reviczky <reviczky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Otared,
>
> Not sure this will help at all, but I've seen similar errors when "texmfcnf.lua" wasn't found (alongside texmf.cnf).
>
> Although I am not using TeXLive2020, I have the following entries for texmfcnf:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8272 Aug  9 13:19 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38841 Aug  9 13:19 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf

I don't have these files at this place, but in
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/
I do have
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua
the first one being created automatically when I tried to do mtxrun --generate after installing TeXLive2020. Ir says its content should not be modified directly and that its content is based on of the file
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf.d
The content of the above directory dates from 2019, and maybe that is why my logfile reports things being done with TeXLive2019.

The content of the file
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua
is written by Hans in date = "2012-05-24" time = "12-12-12".

Replacing /opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf with some other texmf.cnf does not help, since it is overwritten when one does
	mtxrun --generate

So the problem remains… Maybe I have to contact people who prepare MacTeX2020 and ask for help with them.

Thank you agin for your time and advices.
Best regards: Otared

> and the symlinks to it from:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Aug 11 02:05 /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua -> ../../texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Aug 11 02:21 /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf -> ../../texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> Now, if I remove the symlink (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua) I get the same error as you:
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
> (With the symlink everything is fine of course.)
>
> https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/b5db9f9833e389f96a329553b9d6ac7037872b2d/texk/kpathsea/texmf.cnf
> % First writable tree here is used by Lua(La)TeX for the font cache.
> % LuaLaTeX uses the value here, while ConTeXt uses the same variable but
> % from texmfcnf.lua; therefore the two values should be kept in sync.
> % (As should everything else in texmf.cnf <-> texmfcnf.lua.)
>
> I see from your output that context did find the texmfcnf.lua:
> resolvers       | resolving | found regular configuration file '/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua'
>
> So maybe it is something completely different, but it does look like it's something around those configs...
>
> Have a look and if not, then sorry for the noise.
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:04 PM Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>
> > On 10 Aug 2020, at 16:11, Axel Kielhorn <tex@axelkielhorn.de> wrote:
> > […]
> > Well, one more suggestion:
> > Use TeX Live Manager to update TeX-Live.
> > I didn’t see any comments about context not working, but maybe the update fixes something.
> > (You can filter for context related packages.)
> >
> > There has been one update to „context“ in June 2020.
>
> I did update TeXLive with TeX Live Manager. But still I cannot run ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 (neither from TeXShop nor from Terminal).
>
> > […]
> > And another one:
> > Please look into the home directory for a local .texlive2020 folder.
> > There shouldn’t be any and it shouldn’t contain anything context related.
>
> I checked for the existence of directories of the type .texlive2020: there is no such directory in my home directory.
> There were three leftover directories .texlive2008, .texlive2010 and .texlive2019, which I removed.
> Doing
>         mtxrun --generate
> creates a .texlive2019 directory which contains some other folders which are
>         texmf-var/luatex-cache/context/88aacfe88c3cbee9a12d5f4bec4da90b/trees/
> and in the latter folder there are 10 files with suffixes .lua and .luc.
> Again
>         context test.tex
> results in
>         mtxrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> So the problem remains…
>
> Best regards: Otared

%% This file should not be edited directly!
%%
%% It was automatically generated by /opt/local/libexec/texlive-update-cnf
%% from the contents of /opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf.d
%% on Sat Jun 13 10:08:36 CEST 2020.

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-11 15:25             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-08-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

A few remarks.

In a mkiv luatex setup there are (on a unix system):

   luatex  : binary
   mtxrun  : a copy of mtxrun.lua
   context : a shell script starting mtxrun

Now, the problem there is that these shebang lines are limited, i.e.
there is no way to pass an argument and we need to start luatex in lua
mode. This is why the program refered to is texlua which is a copy of or
symlink to luatex and when called with that name it knows that it has to
start in lua mode.

On windows there are two small stubs: mtxrun.exe and context.exe an both
will start luatex (no need for texlua there) with the same script etc.

In a luametatex setup we have a uniform and simpler model.

   luametatex   : binary
   mtxrun       : a copy of luametex or symlink to it
   context      : a copy of luametex or symlink to it
   mtxrun.lua   : used when mtxrun is started
   context.lua  : used when context is started

So, here the 'context' link (or copy) from it's name knows to start in
lua mode and load context.lua (which actually loads mtxrun.lua +
mtx-context.lua). It's the same on all platforms.

Now, already long ago we ditched all other stubs simply because given
the amount of scripts in a tex live setup it's a recipe for clashes
(scripts also have to compete with programs / scripts  installed as part
of the os and other programs so even more opportunity for clashes). We
just use

   mtxrun --script ...

instead (and texmfstart in a mkii setup).

These models cannot be mixed, which is why in a luametatex lmtx setup we
use "context --luatex" to start mkiv, where luametatex is the runner.

Hans

ps. I remember the times that context was considered bad because it
needed a runner, read: a script was part of the deal and a tex run
should not have such a depedency; the need to install perl or ruby was
seen as a shortcoming. We also used scripts to generate font metric
files (context didn't depend on other programs for toc and index
generation and had just one auxiliary file). But times have changed and
scripts are now hip and modern in the tex ecosysystem, which is why we
basically limit ourselves to just 'context' and 'mtxrun' and start all
the other context related scripts indirectly.

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-11 20:38               ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-11 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your explanations, which clarify why sometimes ConTeXt may not work straight of TeXLive.
Nevertheless I will contact the people who maintain MacTeX in order for them to be aware of the issue I encounter, so that hopefully in the future releases people would be able to use ConTeXt from MacTeX.

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-12  6:26             ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-12  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 11.08.2020 um 16:57 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>
> I don't have these files at this place, but in
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/
> I do have
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua
> the first one being created automatically when I tried to do mtxrun --generate after installing TeXLive2020. Ir says its content should not be modified directly and that its content is based on of the file
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf.d
> The content of the above directory dates from 2019, and maybe that is why my logfile reports things being done with TeXLive2019.
>
> The content of the file
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/texmfcnf.lua
> is written by Hans in date = "2012-05-24" time = "12-12-12".
>
> Replacing /opt/local/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf with some other texmf.cnf does not help, since it is overwritten when one does
> 	mtxrun --generate
>
> So the problem remains… Maybe I have to contact people who prepare MacTeX2020 and ask for help with them.

This looks like a Macports installation.

When I call the Macports version of context I get:

context --help
resolvers       | caches | path '/Users/axel/.texlive2020/texmf-var' created
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

If you want to use the Macports version of ConTeXt please install

port install textlive-context

after installing that I get:

context --help
mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 1.03
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | basic options:
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --run                  process (one or more) files (default action)
mtx-context     | --make                 create context formats
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --ctx=name             use ctx file (process management specification)
mtx-context     | --noctx                ignore ctx directives and flags
mtx-context     | --interface            use specified user interface (default: en)
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --autopdf              close pdf file in viewer and start pdf viewer afterwards
mtx-context     | --purge                purge files either or not after a run (--pattern=...)
mtx-context     | --purgeall             purge all files either or not after a run (--pattern=...)
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --usemodule=list       load the given module or style, normally part of the distribution
mtx-context     | --environment=list     load the given environment file first (document styles)
mtx-context     | --mode=list            enable given the modes (conditional processing in styles)
mtx-context     | --path=list            also consult the given paths when files are looked for
mtx-context     | --arguments=list       set variables that can be consulted during a run (key/value pairs)
mtx-context     | --randomseed=number    set the randomseed
mtx-context     | --result=name          rename the resulting output to the given name
mtx-context     | --trackers=list        set tracker variables (show list with --showtrackers)
mtx-context     | --directives=list      set directive variables (show list with --showdirectives)
mtx-context     | --silent=list          disable logcatgories (show list with --showlogcategories)
mtx-context     | --strip                strip Lua code (only meant for production where no errors are expected)
mtx-context     | --errors=list          show errors at the end of a run, quit when in list (also when --silent)
mtx-context     | --htmlerrorpage        generate html error page instead (optional: =scite)
mtx-context     | --noconsole            disable logging to the console (logfile only)
mtx-context     | --purgeresult          purge result file before run
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --forcexml             force xml stub
mtx-context     | --forcecld             force cld (context lua document) stub
mtx-context     | --forcelua             force lua stub (like texlua)
mtx-context     | --forcemp              force mp stub
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --arrange              run extra imposition pass, given that the style sets up imposition
mtx-context     | --noarrange            ignore imposition specifications in the style
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --jit                  use luajittex with jit turned off (only use the faster virtual machine)
mtx-context     | --jiton                use luajittex with jit turned on (in most cases not faster, even slower)
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --once                 only run once (no multipass data file is produced)
mtx-context     | --runs                 process at most this many times
mtx-context     | --forcedruns           process this many times (permits for optimization trial runs)
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --batchmode            run without stopping and do not show messages on the console
mtx-context     | --nonstopmode          run without stopping
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --nosynctex            never initializes synctex (for production runs)
mtx-context     | --synctex              run with synctex enabled (better use \setupsynctex[state=start]
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --nodates              omit runtime dates in pdf file (optional value: a number (this 1970 offset time) or string "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM")
mtx-context     | --nocompression        forcefully turns off compression in the backend
mtx-context     | --trailerid            alternative trailer id (or constant one)
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --generate             generate file database etc. (as luatools does)
mtx-context     | --paranoid             do not descend to .. and ../..
mtx-context     | --version              report installed context version
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | --global               assume given file present elsewhere
mtx-context     | --nofile               use dummy file as jobname
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | More information about ConTeXt and the tools that come with it can be found at:
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
mtx-context     | webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
mtx-context     | wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

If you want to use MacTeX please uninstall Macports TeX Live and use the GUI installer of MacTeX.

At least make sure that the /opt/local is not in your PATH when you call TeX from /Library/TeX/texbin.

Greetings
Axel

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-13  9:04               ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-13  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Axel,

Thank you very much for your attention and your hints, which solved my problems with ConTeXt from TeXLive2020.

Indeed following your suugestion, I removed the
	/opt/local/etc/texmf/
directory, as well as all other tex related directories and files in /opt/local/, and then installed again MacTeX2020.
In oder to be on the safe side, I rebuilt also the locate database, then rebooted my machine: after that I could  run
	luatools --generate
and now with
	context --version
 I have current version: 2020.03.10 14:44.

However I don't know why I had tex related files in /opt/local/, which is used by MacPorts…

I hope to be able to explain to my colleague how to run ConTeXt (LuaTeX) within TeXShop from MacTeX2020.

Thanks to eveyone!

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-13 10:42                 ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-13 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Otared,

> Thank you very much for your attention and your hints, which solved my problems with ConTeXt from TeXLive2020.
>
> Indeed following your suugestion, I removed the
> 	/opt/local/etc/texmf/
> directory, as well as all other tex related directories and files in /opt/local/, and then installed again MacTeX2020.
> In oder to be on the safe side, I rebuilt also the locate database, then rebooted my machine: after that I could  run
> 	luatools --generate
> and now with
> 	context --version
> I have current version: 2020.03.10 14:44.
>
> However I don't know why I had tex related files in /opt/local/, which is used by MacPorts…

Some programs have dependencies on texlive.
These are usually programs that create pdf via TeX.

Glad I could help you.

Greetings
Axel

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-13 14:57                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2020-08-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared,

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 11:05, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Indeed following your suugestion, I removed the
>         /opt/local/etc/texmf/
> directory, as well as all other tex related directories and files in /opt/local/, and then installed again MacTeX2020.

There is usually an easier way: just ensure that path to MacTeX comes
before /opt/local/bin.

What does
    port installed 'tex*'
return?

It's usually a somewhat bad idea to randomly delete a subset of files
installed by a package manager.

Mojca

* Re: How can I use ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 ?
@ 2020-08-14  7:43                   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-08-14  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

You are correct about not removing « by hands » parts of a package…
The reason for which I wen to that extremity was that I wanted absolutely to be sure to be able to run ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 in order to convince a few colleagues to experiment it with TeXShop.

If I type in the Terminal
	port installed 'tex*'
the answer is:
	None of the specified ports are installed.

I guess this is because after having solved the problem I met with installing MacTeX2020, I had done:
	sudo port uninstall texlive-basic --follow-dependencies
in order to uninstall ant TeX related package from Macports (I don't know how thos packages were installed, maybe when I tried to use asymptote, and since I couldn't use it from within ConTeXt I gave up…).

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-08-14  9:42                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2020-08-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 09:43, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Hi Mojca,
>
> You are correct about not removing « by hands » parts of a package…
> The reason for which I wen to that extremity was that I wanted absolutely to be sure to be able to run ConTeXt from TeXLive2020 in order to convince a few colleagues to experiment it with TeXShop.
>
> If I type in the Terminal
>         port installed 'tex*'
> the answer is:
>         None of the specified ports are installed.
>
> I guess this is because after having solved the problem I met with installing MacTeX2020, I had done:
>         sudo port uninstall texlive-basic --follow-dependencies
> in order to uninstall ant TeX related package from Macports (I don't know how thos packages were installed, maybe when I tried to use asymptote, and since I couldn't use it from within ConTeXt I gave up…).

Yes, Asymptote definitely depends on texlive.
But I guess that John is open for some "bribery" to make Asymptote
work better with ConTeXt :)

Last time I tested (maybe that was a few years ago) it was certainly
possible to set context as the "backend engine".
What's missing is better integration though (to end up with almost as
good integration as metapost/metafun offers), and 3D with javascript
mousing support never worked either.

Mojca