* Re: getnameinfo (Hans Hagen)
       [not found] <mailman.287.1357927698.2489.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-01-12 15:32 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2013-01-12 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > I have to update LuaTex on a win2k machine. But I get
> > two errors while running mtxrun.exe and texlua.exe resp. via first-
> > setup.bat.
> >
> > There is a call to getnameinfo in WS2_32.dll which is available in
> > winxp and above.
> >
> > Here is an info from ms how to deal with this:
> >
> > "The getnameinfo function was added to the Ws2_32.dll on Windows XP
> > and later. If you want to execute an application using this function
> > on earlier versions of Windows (Windows 2000, Windows NT, and Windows
> > Me/98/95), then you need to include the Ws2tcpip.h file and also
> > include the Wspiapi.h file. When the Wspiapi.h include file is added,
> > the getnameinfo function is defined to the WspiapiGetNameInfo inline
> > function in the Wspiapi.h file. At runtime, the WspiapiGetNameInfo
> > function is implemented in such a way that if the Ws2_32.dll or the
> > Wship6.dll (the file containing getnameinfo in the IPv6 Technology
> > Preview for Windows 2000) does not include getnameinfo, then a
> > version of getnameinfo is implemented inline based on code in the
> > Wspiapi.h header file. This inline code will be used on older Windows
> > platforms that do not natively support the getnameinfo function."
> >
> > Hope this can be done.
>
> So you're using xp or win2K?
>
> Hans

I use win2K. What I have included was the solution who to solve this
incompatibility.

Wolfgang

* Re: getnameinfo (Hans Hagen)
@ 2013-01-13 17:49   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-01-13 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/12/2013 4:32 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

> I use win2K. What I have included was the solution who to solve this
> incompatibility.

I don't know. It's more something for Mojca's team of binary magicians.

I don't know how long one can expect the latest greatest binaries to run
old versions of operating systems but maybe it makes sense to update to
windows 8 (still pretty cheap this month).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getnameinfo (Hans Hagen)
@ 2013-01-14  8:33     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-01-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1/12/2013 4:32 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>
>> I use win2K. What I have included was the solution how to solve this
>> incompatibility.
>
> I don't know. It's more something for Mojca's team of binary magicians.

The Mojca's team of binary magicians boils down to a certain Japanese
physicist when it comes down to Windows. You would have to ask him.

Citing from TL documentation: "As to Windows: Windows XP and later are
supported. Windows 2000 will probably still mostly work." I was trying
to find out which versions of Windows are supported in MikTeX because
MikTeX was somehow drastic about dropping support for older windows,
but I don't find that information on the new website.

My personal opinion: if there is a trivial change needed that can make
someone's life easier, why not. But I wouldn't bother with dirty hacks
to support Windows 2000. However, it's not me that's building the
binaries.

Mojca

* Re: getnameinfo
@ 2013-01-15 16:44       ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2013-01-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Mojca's team of binary magicians boils down to a certain Japanese
> physicist when it comes down to Windows. You would have to ask him.

Would you please tell me the name and the email address of this
physicist?

Wolfgang

* Re: getnameinfo
@ 2013-01-15 17:03         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-01-15 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>> The Mojca's team of binary magicians boils down to a certain Japanese
>> physicist when it comes down to Windows. You would have to ask him.
>
> Would you please tell me the name and the email address of this
> physicist?

Akira Kakuto is doing an amazing job by building the binaries for
windows, see http://w32tex.org. (The rest goes off-list.)

Mojca