* gnuplot with ConTeXt standalone
@ 2012-06-05 15:00 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2012-06-05 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I just tried out the ConTeXt standalone and found out it did not work with
my gnuplot files.  I have been using texlive 2011, which works fine.  With
the "context" command from standalone, the following error occurs,

----- Error begins -----
! Undefined control sequence.

system          > tex > error on line 4 in file /Users/jin/pkgs/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv: Undefined control sequence ...

 1     %D \module
 2     %D   [       file=cont-yes,
 3     %D        version=2012.06.01,
 4 >>  %D          title=\CONTEXT\ Miscellaneous Macros,
 5     %D       subtitle=Startup Stub,
 6     %D         author=Hans Hagen,
 7     %D           date=\currentdate,
 8     %D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
 9     %C
10     %C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
11     %C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
12     %C details.
13
14     % At some point I will reconsider the \starttext .. \stoptext

\startGNUPLOTpage ->\begingroup \obeyMPlines
                                             \dostartGNUPLOTpage
l.4 \startGNUPLOTpage
----- Error ends -----

I am not really sure which line is the error.  Please excuse me if I pasted too much.
The version of context from the standalone is

ConTeXt  ver: 2012.06.05 09:16 MKIV  fmt: 2012.6.5  int: english/english

As I have mentioned, the same file works fine with context in texlive 2011, which has
version

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2012.4.5  int: english/english

It looks like only two weeks difference.  I thought I should pass along this issue to
experts on the list.

Thanks,
Xiao-Yong

* Re: gnuplot with ConTeXt standalone
@ 2012-06-06  7:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-06  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried out the ConTeXt standalone and found out it did not work with
> my gnuplot files.  I have been using texlive 2011, which works fine.  With
> the "context" command from standalone, the following error occurs,
>
> ----- Error begins -----
> ! Undefined control sequence.
>
> system          > tex > error on line 4 in file /Users/jin/pkgs/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv: Undefined control sequence ...
>
>  1     %D \module
>  2     %D   [       file=cont-yes,
>  3     %D        version=2012.06.01,
>  4 >>  %D          title=\CONTEXT\ Miscellaneous Macros,
>  5     %D       subtitle=Startup Stub,
>  6     %D         author=Hans Hagen,
>  7     %D           date=\currentdate,
>  8     %D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
>  9     %C
> 10     %C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
> 11     %C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
> 12     %C details.
> 13
> 14     % At some point I will reconsider the \starttext .. \stoptext
>

> \startGNUPLOTpage ->\begingroup \obeyMPlines
>                                             \dostartGNUPLOTpage
> l.4 \startGNUPLOTpage
> ----- Error ends -----
>
> I am not really sure which line is the error.  Please excuse me if I pasted too much.
> The version of context from the standalone is
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2012.06.05 09:16 MKIV  fmt: 2012.6.5  int: english/english
>
> As I have mentioned, the same file works fine with context in texlive 2011, which has
> version
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2012.4.5  int: english/english
>
> It looks like only two weeks difference.

If you do your calculations modulo 356 days, yes ;)

I need to wait for a huge macports update to finish (needs
recompilation of many big packages, including octave etc.) before I
will be able to use gnuplot again, but there is a fair chance that
either there is no gnuplot module installed in your standalone ConTeXt
installation (an extra --modules=gnuplot switch needed if I'm not
mistaken) or that something broke with yesterday's massive changes
(that 356 days joke wasn't meant seriously).

Please check if you have
    /Users/jin/pkgs/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/gnuplot/t-gnuplot.tex
    (kpsewhich t-gnuplot.tex)
on your system.

I'll take a look as soon as I have a working gnuplot binary back.

Mojca

* Re: gnuplot with ConTeXt standalone
@ 2012-06-06  7:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-6-2012 17:00, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

> \startGNUPLOTpage ->\begingroup \obeyMPlines

there is no \obeyMPlines any longer so you probably mix up an new
context and an old gnuplot module

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-06-06  7:59   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-06  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5-6-2012 17:00, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>
>> \startGNUPLOTpage ->\begingroup \obeyMPlines
>

> there is no \obeyMPlines any longer so you probably mix up an new context
> and an old gnuplot module

Oh, in some other part of the module I have
    %\obeyMPlines % <- no longer a problem
and it seems that I forgot to remove that for full page plots.

Thank you both for reporting the problem and spotting the solution right away.

I will test later and update the module.

Mojca

* Re: gnuplot with ConTeXt standalone
@ 2012-06-06  8:02   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-06  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Please check if you have
>    /Users/jin/pkgs/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/gnuplot/t-gnuplot.tex
>    (kpsewhich t-gnuplot.tex)
> on your system.

Please ignore my previous remarks and please try to remove
    \obeyMPlines
from t-gnuplot.tex instead to see if that solves the problem.

Mojca

* Re: gnuplot with ConTeXt standalone
@ 2012-06-06  9:30     ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2012-06-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Please ignore my previous remarks and please try to remove
>    \obeyMPlines
> from t-gnuplot.tex instead to see if that solves the problem.

That is exactly the culprit.
Thank you all.  I understand how to read the error output, now.
And reminded myself that this is the year 2012.

@ 2012-06-06 23:05       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-06 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Please ignore my previous remarks and please try to remove
>>    \obeyMPlines
>> from t-gnuplot.tex instead to see if that solves the problem.
>
> That is exactly the culprit.
> Thank you all.  I understand how to read the error output, now.

I didn't read careful enough. I thought that \startGNUPLOTpage was undefined.

Anyway, I updated the module in distribution & in TL (the latter will
be updated in a few hours).

Thanks again to both,
    Mojca