From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt as a service
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 16:50:45 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 16:40, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> >> Don’t exaggerate. Or maybe your company didn’t think about which tags are really necessary.
> >> A proper configuration that doesn’t allow nonsense, even if users paste text from Word documents, is not such a big effort.
> >
> > I'm not exaggerating, I would gladly be convinced/proved that I'm
> > wrong. How much effort (expressed in hours or days) do you think is
> > needed to implement the following?
>
> Oh, IMO that wishlist is very demanding. I’d say it’s more or less impossible with any HTML editor.

So where do we stand with "you are exaggerating, it's really simple",
then? How many hours to configure it? ;)

(ConTeXt has no problems doing all that, and asciidoc as potential
input format supports all the required features as well; if a nice
translation layer is defined, one can get both awesome html out of the
box as well as high quality PDF. I'm just saying that I find MCE
somewhat useless. Whether or not that's exaggerating ... still waiting
to be proven wrong.)

> The JS editors I know of allow for custom menus, and it should be easy to setup special divs for these warning sections.
> I don’t know any good table or formula editors/plugins, though. I’m not up to date, but I guess with a graphical/“WYSIWYG” tool you’ll never get perfectly structured input and will never be able to address finer details of typography, esp. WRT math.

Well ... both Word and Open/LibreOffice do a pretty decent job w.r.t
math nowadays, MathJax is awesome, and I've also seen some awesome
javascript apps allowing you to edit equations. So it's not
impossible. Just not that straightforward ...

I'm not saying that I really need a WYSIWYG editor. Anyone who's
supposed to enter correct complex formulas should be able to learn
some basic markup language (I guess).

Mojca