* Twittering
@ 2012-06-11 15:02 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hopefully, this is not (too far) OT.

I'm not sure how many on the list use Twitter but if you do, you still
might not be aware of the daily "TeXTip" tweets. These contain a URL to
one place on the web or another that have something to do with TeX/LaTeX
usage.

I'm thinking it would be great to have a daily "ConTeXtTip" tweet as
well. Am I the only one?

I'm way too much of a ConTeXt newbie or I'd do it myself. Of course, I
_could_ serve as the Point Of Context and do the actual Tweeting of URLs
or tips that fit into 140 characters that were emailed to me.

If this is too far OT, my most profound apologies to the members of the
list and especially the list masters.

--
Bill Meahan K8QN

"The pessimist complains about the wind;
  the optimist expects it to change;
  the realist adjusts the sails."

-- William Arthur Ward

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: Twittering
@ 2012-06-11 15:26 ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-06-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

IMHO - ConTeXt topics, questions and answers are usually to long to be shrunk to 140 characters.

I think that the "ConTeXt Point" already exists - it's this forum and wiki (you'll see in the future that two sources are enough sometimes).

The more sources (including twits), the more searching, and often the more trying.

So that's just my opinion. (And - I don't use any "social network" so far (FB, Twitter, G+, ...), so maybe I'm not the right person to judge pluses and minuses of Ctx on Twitter).

Lukas

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:02:00 +0200, Bill Meahan <wmeahan94@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully, this is not (too far) OT.
>
> I'm not sure how many on the list use Twitter but if you do, you still
> might not be aware of the daily "TeXTip" tweets. These contain a URL to
> one place on the web or another that have something to do with TeX/LaTeX
> usage.
>
> I'm thinking it would be great to have a daily "ConTeXtTip" tweet as
> well. Am I the only one?
>
> I'm way too much of a ConTeXt newbie or I'd do it myself. Of course, I
> _could_ serve as the Point Of Context and do the actual Tweeting of URLs
> or tips that fit into 140 characters that were emailed to me.
>
> If this is too far OT, my most profound apologies to the members of the
> list and especially the list masters.

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Twittering
@ 2012-06-11 15:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-6-2012 17:26, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> IMHO - ConTeXt topics, questions and answers are usually to long to be
> shrunk to 140 characters.

that could actually be the challenge .. minimal tips (alongside minimal
examples)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Twittering
@ 2012-06-11 15:43     ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/11/2012 11:31, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11-6-2012 17:26, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>
>> IMHO - ConTeXt topics, questions and answers are usually to long to be
>> shrunk to 140 characters.
>
> that could actually be the challenge .. minimal tips (alongside minimal
> examples)
>
> Hans

Based on the current TeXTip tweets, Posting to the wiki _or other
website_ and tweeting the URL would be sufficient.

--

@ 2012-06-11 18:57 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-06-11 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Hopefully, this is not (too far) OT.

It's definitely not.

> I'm not sure how many on the list use Twitter

I'm not aware of anyone among the most active users. Ulrik is the only
one that comes closest by posting to Facebook and including
ConTeXt-related events.

> but if you do, you still might
> not be aware of the daily "TeXTip" tweets.

I wasn't. Thank you for the pointer.

> These contain a URL to one place
> on the web or another that have something to do with TeX/LaTeX usage.
>
> I'm thinking it would be great to have a daily "ConTeXtTip" tweet as well.
> Am I the only one?
>
> I'm way too much of a ConTeXt newbie or I'd do it myself. Of course, I
> _could_ serve as the Point Of Context and do the actual Tweeting of URLs or
> tips that fit into 140 characters that were emailed to me.

I believe that you have almost no chance to convince Hans to start
tweeting, but independent of the level of your expertise, it should
not be a problem to start tweeting based solely on posts on the
mailing list.

* invitations to events
* invitations to join user group
* whenever Hans posts "I have released a new beta, it has support for
this and that" (those emails can be almost automatically "retweeted")
* you could announce every single beta, but the problem is that they
usually don't come with any explanation, they are too frequent and
very often bugfixes that the majority would not notice, or huge chunks
of code with new functionality that might be hard to decode
* I could send events when something happens in the distribution (but
those events will be very scarce)
* tip of the day would indeed be very useful, but who is going to
contribute them?

If tweets would be nice & useful, it could be useful to set up a cron
job to send a summary of tweets from that day to the mailing list once
per day.

Mojca