* Standalone Installation Question
@ 2013-10-20  7:52 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-10-20  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I downloaded and ran:

    $ sh ./$SETUPFILE --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current

#
# The documentation on web page [ http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#General_Information ] statess that:

" An intialization script called setuptex is provided in installation-dir/tex/.
" If you run context from a terminal, source setuptex like so:
"  source /installation-dir/tex/setuptex   "

BUT, first-setup.sh did not produce and populate any  ./tex directory and there is no
     setuptex command file.

What can I do to proceed from this point.  Currently the /installation directory contains:

   Reference: first-setup.sh produces the following files and directory structure:

$ ls -l
   drwxrwxrwx+ 1 djtm None     0 Oct 20 16:09 .
   drwxr-xr-x  1 djh  Users    0 Oct 20 14:06 ..
   drwxr-xr-x+ 1 djh  None     0 Aug  7 16:40 bin
   -rwxr-xr--  1 djh  None  3654 Jun 20 22:27 first-setup.sh

$  $ ls -l bin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  999424 Nov 23  2012 cygiconv-2.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None 1873396 Nov 23  2012 cygwin1.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None   72192 Aug 14 09:29 kpathsea620.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  338944 Aug 14 10:32 lua52.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None 6889472 Sep 28 07:03 luatex.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None    7680 Apr 16  2013 mtxrun.dll
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None    4608 Apr 16  2013 mtxrun.exe
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  497742 Oct 15 20:54 mtxrun.lua
    -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None   25352 Oct  8 06:31 mtx-update.lua
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None  346112 Nov 23  2012 rsync.exe
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None    1536 Jun 24 22:41 texlua.exe

-------- END

* Re: Standalone Installation Question
@ 2013-10-20  8:58 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-20  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM, <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and ran:
>
>     $ sh ./$SETUPFILE --modules=all --engine=luatex --context=current
>
> #
> # The documentation on web page [
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#General_Information ]
> statess that:
>
> " An intialization script called setuptex is provided in
> installation-dir/tex/.
> " If you run context from a terminal, source setuptex like so:
> "  source /installation-dir/tex/setuptex   "
>
> BUT, first-setup.sh did not produce and populate any  ./tex directory and
> there is no
>      setuptex command file.
>
> What can I do to proceed from this point.  Currently the /installation
> directory contains:
>
>    Reference: first-setup.sh produces the following files and directory
> structure:
>
> $ ls -l
>    drwxrwxrwx+ 1 djtm None     0 Oct 20 16:09 .
>    drwxr-xr-x  1 djh  Users    0 Oct 20 14:06 ..
>    drwxr-xr-x+ 1 djh  None     0 Aug  7 16:40 bin
>    -rwxr-xr--  1 djh  None  3654 Jun 20 22:27 first-setup.sh
>

> $  $ ls -l bin
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  999424 Nov 23  2012 cygiconv-2.dll
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None 1873396 Nov 23  2012 cygwin1.dll
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None   72192 Aug 14 09:29 kpathsea620.dll
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  338944 Aug 14 10:32 lua52.dll
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None 6889472 Sep 28 07:03 luatex.dll
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None    7680 Apr 16  2013 mtxrun.dll
>     -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None    4608 Apr 16  2013 mtxrun.exe
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None  497742 Oct 15 20:54 mtxrun.lua
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 djh None   25352 Oct  8 06:31 mtx-update.lua
>     -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None  346112 Nov 23  2012 rsync.exe
>     -rwxr-xr-x 1 djh None    1536 Jun 24 22:41 texlua.exe
>
> -------- END

hm first-setup.sh is for Linux, but you have a set of Windows files...
so which platform do you need ?

--
luigi

* Re: Standalone Installation Question
@ 2013-10-20  9:23   ` d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2013-10-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

My platform is cygwin, which gives Posix compatibility.  The inital loading shell script  noticed thsi provided the cygwin dll.

If necessary, I can build from source if available.  But, ts possile that x86 would work due the the cygwin interface, but I'm not sure.

What to do to complete the installation?

Thanks

----

@ 2013-10-20  9:46     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-20  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM, d.henman <dhenman@gmail.com> wrote:

> My platform is cygwin, which gives Posix compatibility.  The inital
>
> If necessary, I can build from source if available.  But, ts possile that
> x86 would work due the the cygwin interface, but I'm not sure.
>
> What to do to complete the installation?
>
> Thanks
>

> IIUC
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#General_Information
Cygwin is under Windows, so you have first to install the windows version
and then run it under cywin
Windows
  Use ConTeXt with Cygwin

"""

After installing the ConTeXt suite, you can run it under Cygwin. With
Cygwin, you may use gmake and other Unix tools for your automated workflow.

   1. Run setuptex.bat in DOS command prompt
   2. In the same DOS prompt, enter Cygwin by running cygwin.bat (in your
   Cygwin installation directory)
   3. Under Cygwin prompt, run context.cmd test.tex . Note that the
.cmdextension is needed under Cygwin.

"""

--
luigi

* Re: Standalone Installation Question
@ 2013-10-20 13:54       ` hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-10-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes I saw the Windows version of Context mentioned and read it, but the documentation is,
in this case, wrong or not fully correct.  This is because I am now using Context which comes is included in the TexLive distribution, selected with Unix like operating systems.  No bat files or other ancillary code or invokations are necessary.

 Texlive's Context program would probably not run directly on Microsoft Windows O.S.
I believe that the documentation can be expanded to cover using a Context on Cygwin directly and not the Microsoft port which requires the usage of strange Microsoft pathnames, with C:\ and \ seperators.

Using context on cygwin for cygwin may only have been done in TexLive for Unix like systems, but I'd like to use and test on the bleeding edge MKIV.  But, that proves that it can be done.  I just don't know what was done.

So, perhaps I should ask if anyone knows how TexLive packages Context so that it runs directly with the cygwin environment.  It might be terribly difficult in which case I will not do it for lack of knowledge and time.

In what form is Context supplied to TexLive?    Maybe I'd have to build Context on this cygwin platform to use it.    That is what I am looking into.

Any ideas or information?

luigi scarso

@ 2013-10-20 14:05         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM, <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I saw the Windows version of Context mentioned and read it, but the
> documentation is,
> in this case, wrong or not fully correct.  This is because I am now using
> Context which comes is included in the TexLive distribution, selected with
> Unix like operating systems.  No bat files or other ancillary code or
> invokations are necessary.
>
>  Texlive's Context program would probably not run directly on Microsoft
> Windows O.S.

hm, my experience is the opposite: texlive context runs on Windows, but I
don't use it because the standalone also works under Windows.
(I use the texlive for all the rest, btw).

--
luigi

* Re: Standalone Installation Question
@ 2013-10-20 16:06           ` hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-10-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: ConTeXt package maintainer for TeXlive distribution:

TeXlive as of 2011 or so is compatible under unix type with cygwin.

I do not want to use the Microsoft version.  There is no reason from me to change
code and scripts to work with Microsoft's methods.  Also I will not give up the unix developement environment that cygwin delivers to work with ConteXt.

I'd like to know the the Context package that was submitted to TeXlive.
I presume this was in soure format. How can I get that for the beta/current MKIV
and build it myself?

Thanks

@ 2013-10-22 10:04             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-10-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to make it clear:

1.) There used to be support for the native cygwin binaries in the
ConTeXt distribution, but I only remember a single person asking for
it and when it had to be built and debugged, he didn't have sufficient
time to help debug the problem. Because of many problems (which could
be solved, but there would have to be people interesting in testing
and solving the problems, provide feedback, ...) the native cygwin
binaries have been removed.

2.) first-setup.sh may recognise cygwin, but it won't download
anything because the binaries aren't present. Maybe I should change
the script to make this explicit and return an error when running on
cygwin (there is not error checking - if fetching the files fails,
it's not really evident).

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM,  <hwitloc@gmail.com> wrote:

> To: ConTeXt package maintainer for TeXlive distribution:
>
> TeXlive as of 2011 or so is compatible under unix type with cygwin.
>
> I do not want to use the Microsoft version.  There is no reason from me to change
> code and scripts to work with Microsoft's methods.

There is no need to. If you fetch ConTeXt with binaries compiled with
MSVC, you should be perfectly capable of running those binaries in
cygwin environment without having to be aware that they are not for
cygwin. (I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.) Unless you
are a purist and want to avoid anything that has been compiled with
MSVC due to potential security risks, there is no reason why the
standard binaries couldn't be used.

>  Also I will not give up the unix developement environment that cygwin delivers to work with ConteXt.

You really don't need to. Even if you keep using the windows version.

> I'd like to know the the Context package that was submitted to TeXlive.

ConTeXt was taken from http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm. Some
scripts were used to assemble everything together. You need to check
TeX Live sources (http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/) if you are
curious about how it was done.

> I presume this was in source format.

Yes. But except for mtxrun.exe (which is just a windows wrapper for a
lua script), the luatex binary (which is not part of ConTeXt) and the
formats (that are generated on the fly), ConTeXt doesn't need any
compilation. TeX Live contains "sources" for ConTeXt only + some
binary wrappers for lua files (not relevant for cygwin). Everything
else is either not part of ConTeXt or is using a scripting language.

> How can I get that for the beta/current MKIV
> and build it myself?

Do you want the latest version inside TeX Live or the standalone
distribution? If you want a working standalone distribution, a bit of
work is needed first to set up everything. Most notably you or someone
else would need to volunteer to provide binaries for at least LuaTeX
and MetaPost.

If you need the latest ConTeXt in TeX Live, it might be sufficient to
create a separate texmf tree, put ConTeXt there and set up TEXMF paths
properly, plus make sure that the latest mtxrun comes first in PATH.
Or create a tlpkg with the latest ConTeXt and install it with tlmgr
then.

Mojca