* [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  7:41 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-09  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://xkcd.com/1676/

Mojca

PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and

\startalign[snakes]
\stopalign

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  8:28 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/9/2016 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> http://xkcd.com/1676/
>
> Mojca
>

> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>
> \startalign[snakes]
> \stopalign

not to hard to implement but also not that high my list to demo it

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  8:42   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 May 2016 at 10:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/9/2016 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> http://xkcd.com/1676/
>>
>> Mojca
>>

>> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>>
>> \startalign[snakes]
>> \stopalign
>

> not to hard to implement but also not that high my list to demo it

Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
(Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is".)

Mojca

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  8:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/9/2016 10:42 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 9 May 2016 at 10:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 5/9/2016 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>> http://xkcd.com/1676/
>>>
>>> Mojca
>>>

>>> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>>>
>>> \startalign[snakes]
>>> \stopalign
>>

>> not to hard to implement but also not that high my list to demo it
>
> Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
> (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is".)

well, its more like challenging us (in fact i remember messing a bit
with this fill-to-end-of-line-with-rules stuff that you see in ugly
official documents but then decided that lawyers should use
justification instead)

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  8:53     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2016-05-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 May 2016 at 10:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > On 5/9/2016 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >>
> >> http://xkcd.com/1676/
> >>
> >> Mojca
> >>

> >> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
> >>
> >> \startalign[snakes]
> >> \stopalign
> >

> > not to hard to implement but also not that high my list to demo it
>
> Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
> (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is".)

metapost ,
head-body-tail or tail-body-head for the filler, lenght of the snake
node programming...not bad.
I could be useful when one has numbers, and wants to be sure that nobody
prepend or append something.

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  9:12       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2016-05-09  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mojca:
> Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
> (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is”.)

I actually thought about doing just that ;) But it will take more work
than is justified for simply an email reply. And it is a nice teaching
opportunity, so we plan to get back on this topic during the upcoming
ConTeXt meeting in Kalenberg.

> Luigi:
> metapost ,head-body-tail or tail-body-head for the filler, lenght of the snake
> node programming...not bad.
> I could be useful when one has numbers, and wants to be sure that nobody prepend or append something.

Actually I had a use case for this some years back when I was attempting
to reproduce old-fashioned woodblock print. But that predated most luatex
development, and I ended up faking the whole thing using \hboxes.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  9:23 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-05-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://xkcd.com/1676/
>
> Mojca
>

> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>
> \startalign[snakes]
> \stopalign

In the true ConTeXt spirit, it should perhaps be

\startalign[cows]
\stopalign

instead?

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  9:31   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2016-05-09  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://xkcd.com/1676/
> >
> > Mojca
> >

> > PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
> >
> > \startalign[snakes]
> > \stopalign

> > webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
> > archive  : http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
> > wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

> In the true ConTeXt spirit, it should perhaps be
>
> \startalign[cows]
> \stopalign
>
> instead?

the ideal is a pattern like narrow x, they fill better the space

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09  9:33         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2016-05-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Mojca:
> > Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
> > (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is”.)
>
> I actually thought about doing just that ;) But it will take more work
> than is justified for simply an email reply. And it is a nice teaching
> opportunity, so we plan to get back on this topic during the upcoming
> ConTeXt meeting in Kalenberg.

uh uh time to fill the   Registration Form...

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 10:02         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-09 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/9/2016 11:12 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Mojca:
>> Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
>> (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it is”.)
>
> I actually thought about doing just that ;) But it will take more work
> than is justified for simply an email reply. And it is a nice teaching
> opportunity, so we plan to get back on this topic during the upcoming
> ConTeXt meeting in Kalenberg.
>

>> Luigi:
>> metapost ,head-body-tail or tail-body-head for the filler, lenght of the snake
>> node programming...not bad.
>> I could be useful when one has numbers, and wants to be sure that nobody prepend or append something.
>
> Actually I had a use case for this some years back when I was attempting
> to reproduce old-fashioned woodblock print. But that predated most luatex
> development, and I ended up faking the whole thing using \hboxes.

there's actually already quite some in place to deal with such issues
but the question often is what criteria to use and what interfacing and
for criteria you need to know a bit about what a line is internally in
terms of spacing ... i'm pretty sure that Taco will cover that aspect
but you have to wait till Kalenberg to learn the details

Hans

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 10:15 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2016-05-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>
> \startalign[snakes]
> \stopalign

  The snakes idea is actually pretty close to the practice of Kashida in
Arabic typography (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashida), doesn’t
ConTeXt already support that somehow?

	Best,

		Arthur

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-05-09 10:35 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-05-09 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/307795/how-to-create-nonbreaking-arbitrary-length-snakes-for-full-width-justification

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 10:52   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 May 2016 at 12:35, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 9 May 2016 09:41:39 +0200 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> http://xkcd.com/1676/
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/307795/how-to-create-nonbreaking-arbitrary-length-snakes-for-full-width-justification

Oh great, no need to fiddle with fonts. The snake fragments are
already available as vector images:
    https://gist.github.com/wrtlprnft/4cc8fe07f114449f0d8748fe60af39e9

Mojca

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 12:13   ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2016-05-09 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 9 May 2016, at 12:15, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>
>> PS: I guess that ConTeXt still lacks support for fillers and
>>
>> \startalign[snakes]
>> \stopalign
>
>  The snakes idea is actually pretty close to the practice of Kashida in
> Arabic typography (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashida),

It has been discussed on the Unicode list, also mentioning traditional Tibetan justification than kashida.

http://unicode.org/pipermail/unicode/2016-May/003576.html

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 15:15       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-05-09 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 9 May 2016 10:51:23 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> > Wasn't in obvious that I was joking?
> > (Even though deep down I feared someone would reply with "here it
> > is".)
>
> well, its more like challenging us (in fact i remember messing a bit
> with this fill-to-end-of-line-with-rules stuff that you see in ugly
> official documents but then decided that lawyers should use
> justification instead)

It would be a better exercise to compose one's text in verse using
words that fill all lines nicely eliminating entirely the need for
justification. Maybe this should be an exercise for the upcoming
Context meeting?

My entry will consist entirely of four-letter words...

Alan

* Re: [OT] Full-width justification (xkcd)
@ 2016-05-09 15:32         ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-05-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)