* gnuplot
@ 2011-08-18 20:39 Xenia
From: Xenia @ 2011-08-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I'm having some problems with gnuplot.
I installed it as an extra module (means I guess, it is already
installed via --modules="all").

Now, I want to use it directly in my ConTeXt-document, without
compiling/preprocessing it first.

In the gnuplot documentation I just found, how to create a pdf-document
(nothing about implementation in context).

I tried the minimal example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gnuplot ,
but I recieve just a .plt-file.

I hope some of you do also use gnuplot and can help me easily.

Thanks.

* Re: gnuplot
@ 2011-08-18 21:31 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 22:39, Xenia wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm having some problems with gnuplot.
>
> I tried the minimal example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gnuplot ,
> but I recieve just a .plt-file.
>
> I hope some of you do also use gnuplot and can help me easily.

Dear Xenia,

1.) What operating system are you using?
2.) Did you compile gnuplot from https://github.com/mojca/gnuplot or
did you use the default gnuplot as shipped with your system? (I should
check again, but there is some slight chance that it also works with
TikZ terminal; however I doubt that the latest version of TikZ
terminal has been released, so that might not necessary help you.)
3.) You need to make sure that if you run gnuplot, selecting
    set term context
works. After then you could also check if
    gnuplot your-document-gnuplot-1.plt
will generate a tex file.

I suspect that your gnuplot doesn't know about ConTeXt terminal. In
that case you may complain to the gnuplot mailing list :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: gnuplot
@ 2011-08-19  7:47   ` Xenia
From: Xenia @ 2011-08-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 18.08.2011 23:31, schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 22:39, Xenia wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm having some problems with gnuplot.
>>
>> I tried the minimal example from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gnuplot ,
>> but I recieve just a .plt-file.
>>
>> I hope some of you do also use gnuplot and can help me easily.
>
> Dear Xenia,
>
> 1.) What operating system are you using?

debian-wheezy (testing)

> 2.) Did you compile gnuplot from https://github.com/mojca/gnuplot or
> did you use the default gnuplot as shipped with your system? (I should
> check again, but there is some slight chance that it also works with
> TikZ terminal; however I doubt that the latest version of TikZ
> terminal has been released, so that might not necessary help you.)

I tried following this instruction:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gnuplot#Unix_or_Mac

But then I got:
---------------------
$ ./prepare

./prepare: 47: aclocal: not found

Some part of the preparation process failed.
Please refer to INSTALL for details.
---------------------

And in "INSTALL" and "INSTALL.gnu" the first step is to do
$ ./configure
but I only have a configure.in and configure.vms -file.
I'm quite confused.
So I installed it from the debian-repositories (for sure without any
context-implementation), but you could just tell me, how I can make your
version work. :-)

> 3.) You need to make sure that if you run gnuplot, selecting
>     set term context
> works. After then you could also check if
>     gnuplot your-document-gnuplot-1.plt
> will generate a tex file.
>
> I suspect that your gnuplot doesn't know about ConTeXt terminal. In
> that case you may complain to the gnuplot mailing list :) :) :)

You're right and I did. :-)

Thanks

Xenia

* Re: gnuplot
@ 2011-08-19 13:07     ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2011-08-19 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Xenia <yoraxe@googlemail.com> wrote:
>[...]
> I tried following this instruction:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gnuplot#Unix_or_Mac
>
> But then I got:
> ---------------------
> $ ./prepare
>
> ./prepare: 47: aclocal: not found
>
> Some part of the preparation process failed.
> Please refer to INSTALL for details.
> ---------------------
>
> And in "INSTALL" and "INSTALL.gnu" the first step is to do
> $ ./configure
> but I only have a configure.in and configure.vms -file.
> I'm quite confused.

Most likely you are missing some of the "build" tools.   Look
for a package called "build-essential".  You may need to add
some -dev packages for various libraries needed by gnuplot.
You might check the dependencies for debian gnuplot and
make sure you have the -dev versions of all the libraries.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: gnuplot
@ 2011-08-19 13:16     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 09:47, Xenia wrote:

> But then I got:
> ---------------------
> $ ./prepare
>
> ./prepare: 47: aclocal: not found

I guess that a package "autotools/autoconf" or something similar is missing.

Mojca

* Gnuplot
@ 1999-06-15 12:03 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-06-15 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> PS: A while ago (so in February) I ask for the best possibility
    >> to include the output of Gnuplot, well they now support
    >> MetaPost in their recent betas :-)

    Hans> Sounds good!

Tried this and it actually seems to work. Thanks for the pointer.

Taco