* Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-12  3:48 Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2012-09-12  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have recently installed TeXLive 2012, and my Lucida (Type 1) fonts from
TUG are installed in the texmf-local tree and function properly when using
TeXLive 2011, but it seems that ConTeXt cannot find the fonts for 2012.
The instuctions on the wiki do not seem to add a solution for me.

I would appreciate any help in the process for installing these fonts for
TL2012.

Troy Henderson

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-12  7:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-9-2012 05:48, Troy Henderson wrote:
> I have recently installed TeXLive 2012, and my Lucida (Type 1) fonts from
> TUG are installed in the texmf-local tree and function properly when using
> TeXLive 2011, but it seems that ConTeXt cannot find the fonts for 2012.
> The instuctions on the wiki do not seem to add a solution for me.
>
> I would appreciate any help in the process for installing these fonts for
> TL2012.

best is to upgrade the lucida to opentype .. way less hassle and also
more complete

http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/index.html

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-12 12:05   ` Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2012-09-12 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> best is to upgrade the lucida to opentype .. way less hassle and also more
> complete

Would I have to pay for the OpenType versions since I have already
purchased the Type1 versions?

Troy

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-12 14:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-9-2012 14:05, Troy Henderson wrote:

>> best is to upgrade the lucida to opentype .. way less hassle and also more
>> complete
>>

> Would I have to pay for the OpenType versions since I have already
> purchased the Type1 versions?

yes, but the fonts are relatively cheap (esp for members) and you get a lot

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-12 20:24       ` Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2012-09-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  yes, but the fonts are relatively cheap (esp for members) and you get a
> lot

"relatively" is the keyword here as they are the same price that I paid for
the Type 1 fonts 3 years ago.  So, according to the store website, I
essentially have to buy them again.

Troy

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-13  8:00         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-13  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-9-2012 22:24, Troy Henderson wrote:

>>   yes, but the fonts are relatively cheap (esp for members) and you get a
>> lot
>

> "relatively" is the keyword here as they are the same price that I paid for
> the Type 1 fonts 3 years ago.  So, according to the store website, I
> essentially have to buy them again.

it's more 'relative' to what other commercial fonts cost (whenever we
have to do that for a project we end up many times higher than the full
set of lucidas which also includes math)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-13  9:20           ` Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2012-09-13  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was able to get the Type 1 versions working.  It seems that the problem
the whole time was an orphan kpsewhich living in /usr/bin.  After removing
it, TL2012's kpsewhich took over and everything is fine.

Troy

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-13 10:44         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-09-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Troy Henderson wrote:
>> yes, but the fonts are relatively cheap (esp for members) and you get a
>> lot
>
> "relatively" is the keyword here as they are the same price that I paid for
> the Type 1 fonts 3 years ago.  So, according to the store website, I
> essentially have to buy them again.

Actually, you should apply for a special discount :P

As soon as you have bought the fonts and started complaining about
semi-broken functionality of Lucida while I was sitting behind Hans in
Brejlov two years ago, this triggered the project of creating OpenType
Lucida (and probably forced us to fix major problems in Type1 for
MKII/MKIV). So it's partially your fault that OpenType Lucida exists
in the first place. Blame yourself for the extra choice&price you are
offered now ;)

But Hans already told you back then: "don't use Lucida", didn't he?

Mojca

* Re: Lucida fonts
@ 2012-09-13 12:54           ` Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2012-09-13 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess I will take responsibility for my own actions then. ;)  Actually,
as long as the Type 1 fonts continue to work, I presume I have no need for
anything more.  Perhaps I'm just somewhat ignorant about fonts and have no
idea what "more complete" (as Hans said) means when comparing the OpenType
version to the Type 1 version.  If I was given a list of things that are
included in the OpenType font that I do not currently have access to in the
Type 1 version, then I would at least know what I was "missing".

Troy

* Re: Lucida Fonts
@ 2005-11-24  9:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-24  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> Now that YandY is defunct, where would one now purchase the Lucida
> font. We used to be able to get the entire set from YandY, math
> included. Does that set still exist and where can it be purchased?

http://www.tug.org/yandy/

says that tug is negotiating ...

(afaik most of yandy stuff except third party fonts like lucida is now
transfered to and hosted by tug)

Hans

* Re: Lucida Fonts
@ 2005-11-24  3:28 ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2005-11-24  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 23, 2005, at 9:47 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> Now that YandY is defunct, where would one now purchase the Lucida
> font. We used to be able to get the entire set from YandY, math
> included. Does that set still exist and where can it be purchased?

The set with math will soon be available from the TeX Users Group.

Steve

* Lucida Fonts
@ 2005-11-24  2:47 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-24  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Now that YandY is defunct, where would one now purchase the Lucida
font. We used to be able to get the entire set from YandY, math
included. Does that set still exist and where can it be purchased?

David

* Re: lucida fonts
@ 2005-07-06 10:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-06 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arun Swarup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> do i have to buy the lucida font for ConTeXt?
>
> im using TeXLive 2003 ConTeXt installation, and ConTeXt gives me rough
> (T3) fonts in the pdf file ...
>
> dont even ask about the .dvi ... it cant find some font files
>
> i've stopped trying to use lucida & have contended myself with CM :(

in principle it should be possible to use the system lucida fonts; i never tried
this but if someone figures that out we can add support to the distribution

else you have to buy them (teh right ones); concerning metrics, if needed i can
send a zip with metrics, but they are of no use without the type 1 files.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* lucida fonts
@ 2005-07-06 10:37 Arun Swarup
From: Arun Swarup @ 2005-07-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

do i have to buy the lucida font for ConTeXt?

im using TeXLive 2003 ConTeXt installation, and ConTeXt gives me rough
(T3) fonts in the pdf file ...

dont even ask about the .dvi ... it cant find some font files

i've stopped trying to use lucida & have contended myself with CM :(

-arun

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: lucida fonts
@ 2005-02-21 14:00 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-02-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that nothing is known yet, you should subscribe/ask on
the yandytex support mailing list, I guess. It is linked from

	http://tug.org/yandy

Greetings, Taco

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that yandy has gone into a more fancy business (www.yandy.com,
> looking at the menu it looks like they now also sell special latex stuff
> -) i wonder where one can get the usual bunch of lucida fonts needed for
> tex; any ideas?
>
> Hans

* lucida fonts
@ 2005-02-21 13:33 Hans Hagen