* gmane might go off-line soon
@ 2016-07-30 10:27 Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2016-07-30 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all (especially the gardeners),

have you seen this post? https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/

Long story short: the sole maintainer of gmane is getting fed up with ddos attacks and is thinking about terminating the service. If I’m not mistaken, for the time being, gmane is the only searchable archive of the context mailing list, so this would be a major setback. On the garden, there has been a note for five or six years (I think) that work is being done on archive.contextgarden.net. Maybe the approaching end of gmane would be a good motivation to really do this work?

Thomas

* Re: gmane might go off-line soon
@ 2016-07-30 20:50 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2016-07-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Long story short: the sole maintainer of gmane is getting fed up with ddos attacks and is thinking about terminating the service.

  That’s sad :-(  It really was a great service.  I can’t blame the
maintainer, of course.

> Maybe the approaching end of gmane would be a good motivation to really do this work?

  Alternatively, Mailman, the mailing list software used by this list,
can be set up to use htdig for searching the archive; that’s what most
lists on tug.org use (see the top of http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/ for
example).

	Best,

		Arthur

* Re: gmane might go off-line soon
@ 2016-07-31 13:11   ` Joseph Canedo
From: Joseph Canedo @ 2016-07-31 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I personally use mail-archive.org.  http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/
Best,

Joseph

De : Arthur Reutenauer

* Re: gmane might go off-line soon
@ 2016-08-01 10:36 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-08-01 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 July 2016 at 12:27, Schmitz Thomas A. wrote:
> Hi all (especially the gardeners),
>
> have you seen this post? https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/
>
> Long story short: the sole maintainer of gmane is getting fed up with ddos attacks and is thinking about terminating the service.

Sad :(

Do you have any suggestions for some software with a nice interface to
run the archive?

(Ideally someone would adapt the software used by gmane, but
apparently that's a non-trivial task.)

Mojca