* New version of ConTeXt package for Notepad++ available
@ 2012-04-18 20:14 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2012-04-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Patrick Gundlach, Luiz Borges, Mojca Miklavec

Dear Gang,

I have made a new ConTeXt package for Notepad++ (Npp). Unfortunately the
wiki is not letting me update the zip file (Patrick? Mojca?):

"Upload warning | Files of the MIME type "application/zip" are not allowed
to be uploaded."

So for now, here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k77ggveqdkfrevk/Npp-ConTeXt-120418.zip

==========================
The zip contains two directories:

1) \AppData\Roaming\Notepad++
2) \Program Files (x86)\Notepad++

AFTER you install Npp, copy the folder 1) into

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming

And copy folder 2 into

C:\Program Files (x86)

if your system is 64-bit, and into

C:\Program Files

if it is 32-bit.

XP directory structure uses "\Application Data" instead of \AppData. There
may be other things to watch out for (I use Vista).

Important: Back up your contextMenu.xml whenever you update to a newer
version of Npp proper. For some reason, Npp overrides the user-defined
contextMenu.xml and replaces it with the default. In fact, it's a good
idea to back up your \Roaming\Notepad++ directory whenever you update Npp
itself to a new version.

Notes:

1. This updated package contains a new feature: You can wrap selected text
with ConTeXt tags. Just select some text and right-click: Then choose what
you want to do to the text. This has already saved me lots of time in my
own writing, and lessens the risks of brace-mismatch etc.

It also works if no text is selected.

2. You can also start projects, components, etc from the right-click menu.

3. You'll see the ConTeXt command shortcuts under the Macro menu. They
used to be the same as Hans's Scite setup, but there are probably some
differences now. I'll look at this matter later.

4. In future versions I may get rid of any and all references to mkii;
deadenders ;-) can make their own shortcuts etc. But I am gearing this
package towards new users who should not have to deal with mkii at all.

5. The toolbar has been modified. You can use the Customize Toolbar menu
to bring back some default Npp buttons that I removed, etc.

6. The ConTeXt icons are quick and dirty. I welcome help from anyone who
would like to help me with some nicer 16x16 ConTeXt icons. Eventually I
want to expand this to a much richer palette of buttons.

7. Tooltips for commands are supported, but right now there is only one
implemented:

\startitemize[]

Try it!

Eventually I want to have descriptions of all autocomplete commands,
literally at your fingertips in the editor!
========================

This is still a work in progress. There are a few missing commands from
autocompletion/syntax highlighting, and there may be a private command or
two of mine lurking in the highlighting.

Eventually I want to move most of the functionality of this package to a
lexer. I have used the extensive plugin/user-defined functionalities of
Npp to get this package far, but a dedicated lexer-plugin would be the
ideal thing. Any volunteers more than welcome, since lexer writing is
outside of my skill-set.

Once this is uploaded to the wiki I'll remove the dropbox link.

Have fun! and

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: New version of ConTeXt package for Notepad++ available
@ 2012-04-19  7:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-04-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Patrick Gundlach,
	Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد,
	Luiz Borges, Mojca Miklavec

On 18-4-2012 22:14, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear Gang,
>
> I have made a new ConTeXt package for Notepad++ (Npp). Unfortunately the
> wiki is not letting me update the zip file (Patrick? Mojca?):

Why not put it into taco's texlive repository? In tds you can put it in

<texroot>/context/data/notepadplusplus

or so, where users can pick it up and put it in the right spot.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-04-19  9:41   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-04-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2012/4/19 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> On 18-4-2012 22:14, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
>>
>> Dear Gang,
>>
>> I have made a new ConTeXt package for Notepad++ (Npp). Unfortunately the
>> wiki is not letting me update the zip file (Patrick? Mojca?):
>

> Why not put it into taco's texlive repository? In tds you can put it in
>
> <texroot>/context/data/notepadplusplus
>
> or so, where users can pick it up and put it in the right spot.

This is not very practical. Users then need to install TeX live to be
able to locate/extract the files in the first place ;)

And for notepad++ the files under texmf-dist/... are probably useless anyway.

Mojca

* Re: New version of ConTeXt package for Notepad++ available
@ 2012-04-19 10:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-04-19 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-4-2012 11:41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> 2012/4/19 Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>:
>> On 18-4-2012 22:14, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Gang,
>>>
>>> I have made a new ConTeXt package for Notepad++ (Npp). Unfortunately the
>>> wiki is not letting me update the zip file (Patrick? Mojca?):
>>

>> Why not put it into taco's texlive repository? In tds you can put it in
>>
>> <texroot>/context/data/notepadplusplus
>>
>> or so, where users can pick it up and put it in the right spot.
>
> This is not very practical. Users then need to install TeX live to be
> able to locate/extract the files in the first place ;)
>
> And for notepad++ the files under texmf-dist/... are probably useless anyway.

oh, I thought that you also fetched some stuff from that location for
the minimals

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-04-19 14:47 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2012-04-19 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:14:59 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

>  Notes:
> 1. This updated package contains a new feature:

<snip>

8. I forgot to mention that acrobat.bat has been replaced by sumatra.bat.
Sumatra PDF reader works much better than Acrobat with TeX: it does not
lock the file when recompiling, supports synctex etc. When I need adobe,
it lets me me open reader/acrobat from its own menu. Very nice tool.