* luatex core dump
@ 2013-07-03 21:59 FA - ML
From: FA - ML @ 2013-07-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Good evening,

    I recently reported a ^context bug in debian stable^ [1].

The error is:

> mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted

Since this is quite generic, the maintainer asked me wheter there were any
core files.

Is there any option/way to see what steps luatex made before failing? I checked
the manual (command line arguments), but didn't find what I was searching for.

Regards

-Francesco

* Re: luatex core dump
@ 2013-07-04  6:59 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-07-04  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM, FA - ML <fa-ml@ariis.it> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
>     I recently reported a ^context bug in debian stable^ [1].
>
> The error is:
>
> > mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex:
> execution interrupted
>
> Since this is quite generic, the maintainer asked me wheter there were any
> core files.
>
> Is there any option/way to see what steps luatex made before failing? I
> checked
> the manual (command line arguments), but didn't find what I was searching
> for.
>
> Regards
>
> -Francesco
>
> You can try with
\loggingall
\starttext
   This is a test \type{usmmode}.
\stoptext
test.log contains more info

> it'sa mkiv of more than a year ago with luatex 0.70.1.20120524-3
on armv7l --- could be a bug already fixed
Can you try with the latest standalone ?

--
luigi

* Re: luatex core dump
@ 2013-07-04  8:05   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-07-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM, FA - ML wrote:
>>
>> Good evening,
>>
>>     I recently reported a ^context bug in debian stable^ [1].
>>
>> The error is:
>>
>> > mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex:
>> > execution interrupted
>>
>> Since this is quite generic, the maintainer asked me wheter there were any
>> core files.
>>
>> Is there any option/way to see what steps luatex made before failing?

The first line says

mtx-context     | run 1: luatex
--fmt="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/formats/cont-en"
--lua="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/formats/cont-en.lui"
--backend="pdf" "./bug.tex" \stoptext

If you had the binary with debugging symbols built in, you could have tried

gdb luatex
r --fmt="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/formats/cont-en"
--lua="/var/lib/texmf/luatex-cache/context/f919750633122078d706dd10f1cfd39b/formats/cont-en.lui"
--backend="pdf" "./bug.tex" \stoptext

You can do the same now, I'm only not sure how much usable information
you would get out of it, hopefully more than just "sorry, program
crashed".

There were some problems that were known to only show up on certain
patforms (arm included; see for example
http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=739). It's hard to tell whether
this was the same problem.

>> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=713993
>>
> it'sa mkiv of more than a year ago with luatex 0.70.1.20120524-3
> on armv7l --- could be a bug already fixed
> Can you try with the latest standalone ?

Probably not. We only have one set of arm binaries at the moment. I
would need to add those for armhf first (if there is a need, I can add
support for them, but I don't know how to distinguish between armel
and armhf).

I would rather suggest to test:
- original TeX Live 2013
- official Debian packages for TeX Live 2013 if you have a chance to
do that (I'm not sure if that is possible in your case or not)
- if you really want to help debugging TeX Live 2012 packages and the
above gdb doesn't tell you anything useful, you might need to compile
LuaTeX from sources with debugging turned on, but it would probably be
easier to test TL 2013

Mojca