* Including font with document source
@ 2012-04-18  1:41 Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2012-04-18  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey list,

Is there a way to include a set of font files with a ConTeXt document's
source files such that a path to the directory containing the font can
be directly specified in the environment? I was thinking that if it were
possible to do this already, the simplefonts module might have a setup
for this.

The reason why I'd like to consider this is to make it easier on my
users who wish to build my document from source without them having to
manually download a font and figure out how to install it on their given
platform.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

* Re: Including font with document source
@ 2012-04-18  7:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-04-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-4-2012 03:41, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> Is there a way to include a set of font files with a ConTeXt document's
> source files such that a path to the directory containing the font can
> be directly specified in the environment? I was thinking that if it were
> possible to do this already, the simplefonts module might have a setup
> for this.
>
> The reason why I'd like to consider this is to make it easier on my
> users who wish to build my document from source without them having to
> manually download a font and figure out how to install it on their given
> platform.

It can give problems with the same fonts being on the system several
times in several versions

a simple way to install fonts is to drop everything in

texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype  (or just data, or mayb ewith on elevel
more for the vendor)

and do a "mtxrun --generate". This keep things in one spot.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-04-18  8:44   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-04-18  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:41, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 18-4-2012 03:41, Kip Warner wrote:
>>
>> Hey list,
>>
>> Is there a way to include a set of font files with a ConTeXt document's
>> source files such that a path to the directory containing the font can
>> be directly specified in the environment? I was thinking that if it were
>> possible to do this already, the simplefonts module might have a setup
>> for this.
>>
>> The reason why I'd like to consider this is to make it easier on my
>> users who wish to build my document from source without them having to
>> manually download a font and figure out how to install it on their given
>> platform.
>

> It can give problems with the same fonts being on the system several times
> in several versions

That is partially user's problem. The same can happen if user has
multiple tex files with the same name or multiple images with the same
name.

There are already commands:
- to look for tex files in some folder
- to look for images in some folder \setupexternalfigures[directory={...,...}]
which both work on document level (they only enable one extra folder
for that specific document, not for the global TeX/ConTeXt
installation)

Imagine a project which ships both tex sources and fonts together in
some SVN repository. It works perfectly fine if fonts are in the same
folder as TeX documents, but if one wants some structure and put fonts
in another folder, one has to install the font. There should be no
need for users to install exotic fonts if document author can specify
something like \setupfonts[directory=../fonts] on top of project file.

Mojca

* Re: Including font with document source
@ 2012-04-18 10:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-04-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-4-2012 10:44, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Imagine a project which ships both tex sources and fonts together in
> some SVN repository. It works perfectly fine if fonts are in the same
> folder as TeX documents, but if one wants some structure and put fonts
> in another folder, one has to install the font. There should be no
> need for users to install exotic fonts if document author can specify
> something like \setupfonts[directory=../fonts] on top of project file.

maybe some day ... as caching is somewhat special then (lookups by names
as well) it's non trivial ... technically one can mount an additional
pseudo tree already but even then it might conflict when working on
shares that are used by multiple users (fonts defined with file: are
less problematic, but name: lookups get messy)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-04-18 10:46       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-04-18 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 18-4-2012 10:44, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Imagine a project which ships both tex sources and fonts together in
>> some SVN repository. It works perfectly fine if fonts are in the same
>> folder as TeX documents, but if one wants some structure and put fonts
>> in another folder, one has to install the font. There should be no
>> need for users to install exotic fonts if document author can specify
>> something like \setupfonts[directory=../fonts] on top of project file.
>
> maybe some day ... as caching is somewhat special then (lookups by names as
> well) it's non trivial ... technically one can mount an additional pseudo
> tree already but even then it might conflict when working on shares that are
> used by multiple users (fonts defined with file: are less problematic, but
> name: lookups get messy)

For me it doesn't sound like a problem or a serious limitation if some
project simply declares in which directory ConTeXt has to look for
fonts and specifies the font with filename.

Mojca

* Re: Including font with document source
@ 2012-04-18 11:23         ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2012-04-18 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 18-4-2012 10:44, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> Imagine a project which ships both tex sources and fonts together in
>>> some SVN repository. It works perfectly fine if fonts are in the same
>>> folder as TeX documents, but if one wants some structure and put fonts
>>> in another folder, one has to install the font. There should be no
>>> need for users to install exotic fonts if document author can specify
>>> something like \setupfonts[directory=../fonts] on top of project file.
>>
>> maybe some day ... as caching is somewhat special then (lookups by names as
>> well) it's non trivial ... technically one can mount an additional pseudo
>> tree already but even then it might conflict when working on shares that are
>> used by multiple users (fonts defined with file: are less problematic, but
>> name: lookups get messy)
>
> For me it doesn't sound like a problem or a serious limitation if some
> project simply declares in which directory ConTeXt has to look for
> fonts and specifies the font with filename.

Yes I think this would be very useful too.

--

John Devereux

* Re: Including font with document source
@ 2012-04-18 22:58   ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2012-04-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 09:41 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> It can give problems with the same fonts being on the system several
> times in several versions
>
> a simple way to install fonts is to drop everything in
>
> texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype  (or just data, or mayb ewith on elevel
> more for the vendor)
>
> and do a "mtxrun --generate". This keep things in one spot.

Thanks Hans.

--

@ 2012-04-18 23:41       ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2012-04-18 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)