* Bugs with minimals 2015.05.24 12:42
@ 2015-06-02 12:26 david.boerschlein
From: david.boerschlein @ 2015-06-02 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

(*) tex error       > error on line 1 in file /var/www/vhosts/door43.org/tools/nototest.tex: ! Undefined control sequence
    l.1 \useregime
            [utf]
    1 >>  \useregime[utf]
    2     \enableregime[utf]
    Version: 2015.05.24 12:42

(*) Upgrading with "first-setup.sh" deleted all the third-party fonts which we had spent months installing.

(*) Installing the "context=current" installed a "beta" version of luatex:
    context --version
    mtx-context     | current version: 2015.05.24 12:42
    luatex --version
    This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238)

(*) http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf (none of the commands texfont, ttf2afm, updmap, come with the latest ConTeXt minimals 2015.05.24 12:42) [Is this really the up-to-date documentation on how to install a true-type font?]    It does not seem to discuss what to do if all we have is an ".otf" but no ".ttf"

(*) Documentation request: typescripts for "ttf" and "otf" files which may or may not have bold, italics, etc with fallback-families and Unicode ranges and separate files for Unicode-ranges (e.g., Google Noto fonts).

David Boerschlein
(214) 412-3275 home office land
(585) 278-4687 cell
www.linkedin.com/in/davidboerschlein

* Re: Bugs with minimals 2015.05.24 12:42
@ 2015-06-02 12:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-06-02 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/2/2015 2:26 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:

> (*) tex error       > error on line 1 in file /var/www/vhosts/door43.org/tools/nototest.tex: ! Undefined control sequence
>      l.1 \useregime
>              [utf]
>      1 >>  \useregime[utf]
>      2     \enableregime[utf]
>      Version: 2015.05.24 12:42
>
> (*) Upgrading with "first-setup.sh" deleted all the third-party fonts which we had spent months installing.

If you install extra fonts and files, you should put them in

tex/texmf-fonts
tex/texmf-project

as these are left untouched. That has always been the recommendation.
The other trees will be synchronized in an update and that also includes
deleting obsolete files.

> (*) Installing the "context=current" installed a "beta" version of luatex:
>      context --version
>      mtx-context     | current version: 2015.05.24 12:42
>      luatex --version
>      This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238)
>
> (*) http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf (none of the commands texfont, ttf2afm, updmap, come with the latest ConTeXt minimals 2015.05.24 12:42) [Is this really the up-to-date documentation on how to install a true-type font?]    It does not seem to discuss what to do if all we have is an ".otf" but no ".ttf"
>
> (*) Documentation request: typescripts for "ttf" and "otf" files which may or may not have bold, italics, etc with fallback-families and Unicode ranges and separate files for Unicode-ranges (e.g., Google Noto fonts).

you can put the fonts in

tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/someplace

and run

mtxrun --generate

and then try the selectfont command

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-06-02 19:18 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-06-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:

> (*) tex error       > error on line 1 in file /var/www/vhosts/door43.org/tools/nototest.tex: ! Undefined control sequence
>     l.1 \useregime
>             [utf]
>     1 >>  \useregime[utf]
>     2     \enableregime[utf]
>     Version: 2015.05.24 12:42

If you are using MkII (that is: if you are running "texexec"), you should use
    \enableregime[utf-8]

If you use LuaTeX, there's no need to enable UTF-8. It's already the default.

> (*) Upgrading with "first-setup.sh" deleted all the third-party fonts which we had spent months installing.

I'm sorry to hear that.

The idea is to install fonts to
    texmf-local
or
    texmf-fonts
or
    texmf-project
or somewhere else. But the files get removed from "texmf",
"texmf-context", "texmf-modules" etc.

I'm sorry that that wasn't clear (or maybe not even mentioned) in the
documentation.

> (*) Installing the "context=current" installed a "beta" version of luatex:
>     context --version
>     mtx-context     | current version: 2015.05.24 12:42
>     luatex --version
>     This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238)

A "non-beta" version of LuaTeX doesn't exist.

> (*) http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf (none of the commands texfont, ttf2afm, updmap, come with the latest ConTeXt minimals 2015.05.24 12:42) [Is this really the up-to-date documentation on how to install a true-type font?]    It does not seem to discuss what to do if all we have is an ".otf" but no ".ttf"

The documentation is from 2005 as the URL suggests. So no, it's not
up-to-date. Use LuaTeX instead and you can forget about dirty
workarounds to get the fonts to work.

> (*) Documentation request: typescripts for "ttf" and "otf" files which may or may not have bold, italics, etc with fallback-families and Unicode ranges and separate files for Unicode-ranges (e.g., Google Noto fonts).

This is all possible (it might require a bit of work to get everything
set up properly), but you should definitely switch to LuaTeX.

Mojca

* Re: Bugs with minimals 2015.05.24 12:42
@ 2016-05-24 10:06   ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-05-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 02 Jun 2015, at 14:51, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> If you install extra fonts and files, you should put them in
>
> tex/texmf-fonts
> tex/texmf-project
>
> as these are left untouched. That has always been the recommendation. The other trees will be synchronized in an update and that also includes deleting obsolete files.

I guess the same applies to /tex/texmf-local?

And how is that with tex/texmf-modules? I am asking because there is also a modules directory:
    context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules
It would be nice if I safely can put my modules there instead of burying them somewhere else in the trees.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: Bugs with minimals 2015.05.24 12:42
@ 2016-05-24 10:14     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-24 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 May 2016 at 12:06, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
>> On 02 Jun 2015, at 14:51, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> If you install extra fonts and files, you should put them in
>>
>> tex/texmf-fonts
>> tex/texmf-project
>>
>> as these are left untouched. That has always been the recommendation. The other trees will be synchronized in an update and that also includes deleting obsolete files.
>
> I guess the same applies to /tex/texmf-local?
>
> And how is that with tex/texmf-modules? I am asking because there is also a modules directory:
>     context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules
> It would be nice if I safely can put my modules there instead of burying them somewhere else in the trees.

If you put files under texmf-context, they will be removed
automatically with next update. You can install official modules with
"--modules=t-tikz" for example and those will stay. But if you want
your own unrelated modules, you should not use texmf-modules unless
you remove the "--delete" flag for rsync (but then you'll end up with
other obsolete files).

The trees texmf-local, texmf-fonts, texmf-projects are all fine.

Mojca