From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: TextMate ConTeXt bundle
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 13:09:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Manuel,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:12, Manuel Blanco <manuelbl@ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After some years with LaTeX and let's say three or four times trying
> to start with ConTeXt, I decided to try again. Difficult, there are
> many manuals and a lot of contradicting ideas (at least for those of
> us that do not know) in them, but still, I want to try to see if once
> and for all I can manage to dominate it.
>
> I have installed MacTeX 2018. I use TextMate, and the ConTeXt bundle
> is not working in Mac OS High Sierra. After installing it, when I
> tried to compile it said something along the lines "your PATH is ...
> you should have 'context' in your path", so I searched in my computer
> and changed TextMate PATH to:
>
>     $PATH:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/context/stubs/unix

This path is wrong.

First of all, you might run into some troubles if you accidentally
install some TeX binaries via MacPorts (then you might get mixed
binaries from one and the other, leading to troubles), so I would
strongly suggest you to put the MacTeX path *in front of*
/opt/local/bin.

Second, /usr/texbin probably no longer works on High Sierra (it worked
earlier, but no longer does after Apple decided to prohibit creating
paths in some of the top level folders, unless you manually switch the
protection off, reboot, make the change, etc.).

I assume that your binaries are now in
    /Library/TeX/texbin
which is ultimately a symlink to
    /usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin
(which you could also use if needed).

> And this last part is where I think the context binary seems to be
> /usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/context/stubs/unix
>
> But now when I run it it says
>
>     env: texlua: No such file or directory
>
> What could be happening? What do I do?
>
> Also, the bundle was last updated in 2010, may be there are new
> things? Where could we learn what things to add?

It is. Patrick who wrote the bundle in no longer active in the ConTeXt
community, but I keep using his bundle and it works fine. It would
certainly be nice if someone took the work over and revised it. If you
want to volunteer, that would be awesome :)

You would probably need to start reading documentation about TextMate
bundles. One thing that might be straightforward to add are more known
commands (such a list could be autogenerated).

I never compile from within TextMate, so I don't know if that area
needs some changes (not sure if Patrick last modified the bundle
before or after MKIV was considered "the version you should use").

> https://github.com/pgundlach/context.tmbundle
>
> Any updated documentation that takes you from beginner to intermediate
> would be apreciated too.

For ConTeXt or for the TextMate bundle?

Mojca