* Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
       [not found] <4E6A2745.3050306@morningstar2.co.uk>
@ 2011-09-09 15:12 ` Steffen Wolfrum
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-09-09 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

does anyone here has MacTeX 2011 installed and could help Joseph?
(I just saw this on OSX_TEX list, see below).

Thanks,
Steffen

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Joseph Wright <joseph.wright@morningstar2.co.uk>
> Datum: 9. September 2011 16:48:37 MESZ
> An: <macosx-tex@email.esm.psu.edu>
> Betreff: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
> Antwort an: TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <macosx-tex@email.esm.psu.edu>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get ConTeXT MkIV working with MacTeX 2011. My system seems
> to be up to date, but running 'context' from the Terminal (MAc OS
> 10.6.8) gives:
>
> mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
> resolvers       | resolving | configuration files already identified
> resolvers       | resolving | skipping configuration file
> 'selfautoparent:/texmfcnf.lua' (no content)
> resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
> resolvers       | resolving |
> mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> 'luatools --generate' gives a similar issue
>
> mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
> resolvers       | resolving | configuration files already identified
> resolvers       | resolving | skipping configuration file
> 'selfautoparent:/texmfcnf.lua' (no content)
> resolvers       | resolving | no texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF)
> resolvers       | resolving |
> mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-base.lua'
> resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'
>
> I'm not sure at the moment if this is MacTeX-specific or a TeX Live 2011
> issue. Does anyone have any ideas?
> --
> Joseph Wright
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-09 16:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9-9-2011 17:12, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone here has MacTeX 2011 installed and could help Joseph?
> (I just saw this on OSX_TEX list, see below).

I remember that Mojca looked into it and it mostly a missing
configuration error. But anyway, luatools is obsolete. Maybe an mtxrun
--generate helps. Minimals should work ok.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-09 16:23   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 17:12, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone here has MacTeX 2011 installed and could help Joseph?
> (I just saw this on OSX_TEX list, see below).

This is a "known" problem in the sense that it happens pretty often,
but it is unclear what exactly goes wrong. MacTeX should usually work
by default.

More information is needed, in particular contents of
    /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmfcnf.lua

Mojca

@ 2011-09-09 17:30   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2011-09-09 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do have MacTeX 2011 installed (for LaTeX needs), but use the Standalone (former minimals) for CoNTeXt.

Besides being more recent, this has the advantage that one can archive a done project together with the Standalone tree
in case changes to CoNText happen break the project.

The relevant wiki page for installing and configuring with editors  is at

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone/Mac_Installation

Matthias

@ 2011-09-10 10:36     ` Joseph Wright
From: Joseph Wright @ 2011-09-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/09/2011 17:23, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 17:12, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anyone here has MacTeX 2011 installed and could help Joseph?
>> (I just saw this on OSX_TEX list, see below).
>
> This is a "known" problem in the sense that it happens pretty often,
> but it is unclear what exactly goes wrong. MacTeX should usually work
> by default.
>
> More information is needed, in particular contents of
>     /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmfcnf.lua
>
> Mojca

Hello Mojca,

I did wonder if this was known: I've noticed that ConTeXt seems to be
'on and off' at least on my Mac (I've done less testing on Windows).

My  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmfcnf.lua shows:

-- (Public domain.)
-- This texmfcnf.lua file should exist only if you have personal changes
-- from the distributed file; for example, if TEXMFVAR was changed in
-- the installer.
--
return { TEXMFCACHE = '~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var' }
--

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 10:38     ` Joseph Wright
From: Joseph Wright @ 2011-09-10 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/09/2011 18:30, Matthias Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do have MacTeX 2011 installed (for LaTeX needs), but use the Standalone (former minimals) for CoNTeXt.
>
> Besides being more recent, this has the advantage that one can archive a done project together with the Standalone tree
> in case changes to CoNText happen break the project.
>
> The relevant wiki page for installing and configuring with editors  is at
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone/Mac_Installation
>
> Matthias

I did think of the minimals, and indeed that was my first port of call
after 'context' failed from my MacTeX installation. However, there does
not seem to be any Tikz in the minimals, and I needed that. Setting up
Tikz is not so straight-forward.

I've managed to get a working system on my PC, but would of course like
a working system on my Mac too.
--
Joseph Wright

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 10:41       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Joseph,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:36, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Hello Mojca,
>
> I did wonder if this was known: I've noticed that ConTeXt seems to be
> 'on and off' at least on my Mac (I've done less testing on Windows).
>
> My  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmfcnf.lua shows:
>
> -- (Public domain.)
> -- This texmfcnf.lua file should exist only if you have personal changes
> -- from the distributed file; for example, if TEXMFVAR was changed in
> -- the installer.
> --
> return { TEXMFCACHE = '~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var' }
> --
> Joseph Wright

Were you, by any chance, an early adopter who didn't install the new
version of MacPorts once it was officially released?

Please replace the contents of that file with:

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
      TEXMFHOME = "~/Library/texmf",
      TEXMFVAR = "~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var",
      TEXMFCONFIG = "~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config",
    },
  },
}

or reinstall MacTeX.

Mojca

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 10:49         ` Joseph Wright
From: Joseph Wright @ 2011-09-10 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/09/2011 11:41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> My  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmfcnf.lua shows:
>>
>> -- (Public domain.)
>> -- This texmfcnf.lua file should exist only if you have personal changes
>> -- from the distributed file; for example, if TEXMFVAR was changed in
>> -- the installer.
>> --
>> return { TEXMFCACHE = '~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var' }
>> --
>> Joseph Wright
>
> Were you, by any chance, an early adopter who didn't install the new
> version of MacPorts once it was officially released?
>
> Please replace the contents of that file with:
>
> return {
>   content = {
>     variables = {
>       TEXMFHOME = "~/Library/texmf",
>       TEXMFVAR = "~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var",
>       TEXMFCONFIG = "~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config",
>     },
>   },
> }
>
> or reinstall MacTeX.
>
> Mojca

Hello Mojca,

I did indeed install MacTeX 'early' (basically as soon as it became
available for testing). I'm surprised "sudo tlmgr install --reinstall
context metapost" did not sort this one out.

Anyway, that sorts the issue: thanks very much for the very rapid reply.
--
Joseph Wright

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 10:53       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-10 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-9-2011 12:38, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 09/09/2011 18:30, Matthias Weber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do have MacTeX 2011 installed (for LaTeX needs), but use the Standalone (former minimals) for CoNTeXt.
>>
>> Besides being more recent, this has the advantage that one can archive a done project together with the Standalone tree
>> in case changes to CoNText happen break the project.
>>
>> The relevant wiki page for installing and configuring with editors  is at
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone/Mac_Installation
>>
>> Matthias
>
> I did think of the minimals, and indeed that was my first port of call
> after 'context' failed from my MacTeX installation. However, there does
> not seem to be any Tikz in the minimals, and I needed that. Setting up
> Tikz is not so straight-forward.

first-setup --modules=all

the minimals installer remembers what gets installed and when updating
modules will be installed as well

if someone only wants luatex the initial install should say
--engine=luatex (more minimal, might become default at some point)

the only problem with tikz can be that it depends on some built in
functionality (i remember a recent post about such a dependency) but
normally the tikz maintainers are quite willing to take care of it;
another potential issue can be low level resource management but if the
proper interfaces are used this should work now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-10 10:57       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-10 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:38, Joseph Wright wrote:

> I did think of the minimals, and indeed that was my first port of call
> after 'context' failed from my MacTeX installation. However, there does
> not seem to be any Tikz in the minimals, and I needed that. Setting up
> Tikz is not so straight-forward.

As Hans already said: add --modules=tikz switch.

Mojca

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 11:04           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-10 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:49, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Hello Mojca,
>
> I did indeed install MacTeX 'early' (basically as soon as it became
> available for testing). I'm surprised "sudo tlmgr install --reinstall
> context metapost" did not sort this one out.

tlmgr is not allowed to change your local configuration file (that
would be a bad idea) since you might have edited it yourself. We
updated that file during testing phase.

In the same spirit: you probably don't have the bleeding edge TLU
unless you updated it manually and tlmgr won't really help you with
that. Even more important might be the version of TeX Dist Preference
Pane.

Since you seem to have posted your original question to another
mailing list, can you please at least leave a reply that the issue was
solved (and how you solved it)?

Mojca

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 14:57             ` Joseph Wright
From: Joseph Wright @ 2011-09-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/09/2011 12:04, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Since you seem to have posted your original question to another
> mailing list, can you please at least leave a reply that the issue was
> solved (and how you solved it)?

Of course: will do.
--
Joseph Wright

* Re: Fwd: [OS X TeX] ConTeXt issues
@ 2011-09-10 15:03         ` Joseph Wright
From: Joseph Wright @ 2011-09-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/09/2011 11:53, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> I did think of the minimals, and indeed that was my first port of call
>> after 'context' failed from my MacTeX installation. However, there does
>> not seem to be any Tikz in the minimals, and I needed that. Setting up
>> Tikz is not so straight-forward.
>
> first-setup --modules=all
>
> the minimals installer remembers what gets installed and when updating
> modules will be installed as well
>
> if someone only wants luatex the initial install should say
> --engine=luatex (more minimal, might become default at some point)
>
> the only problem with tikz can be that it depends on some built in
> functionality (i remember a recent post about such a dependency) but
> normally the tikz maintainers are quite willing to take care of it;
> another potential issue can be low level resource management but if the
> proper interfaces are used this should work now

Hello Hans,

Thanks for that: I had not investigated the options for first-setup.
--
Joseph Wright