* ConTeXt Standalone/Suite in Windows
@ 2012-11-22 21:00 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

I would like to be able to use a ConTeXt Standalone on a computer with
WinXP Pro and no internet connection and no administrative rights.

Isn't it possible to install on a different computer (let's say
c:\context) and then move that to the same directory on the other computer?

I'm really interested in knowing whether this works, since I must first
ask to a friend to be able to install ConTeXt on her computer to be able
to use it on the computer I want. I'm on Linux myself.

Many thanks in advance,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: ConTeXt Standalone/Suite in Windows
@ 2012-11-22 21:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/22/2012 10:00 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to be able to use a ConTeXt Standalone on a computer with
> WinXP Pro and no internet connection and no administrative rights.
>
> Isn't it possible to install on a different computer (let's say
> c:\context) and then move that to the same directory on the other computer?
>
> I'm really interested in knowing whether this works, since I must first
> ask to a friend to be able to install ConTeXt on her computer to be able
> to use it on the computer I want. I'm on Linux myself.

just download all, zip it and move it to the win machine .. use

--platform=windows

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-22 21:23 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-11-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2012-11-22, Thursday>···<from: Pablo Rodríguez>···

> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to be able to use a ConTeXt Standalone on a computer with
> WinXP Pro and no internet connection and no administrative rights.
>
> Isn't it possible to install on a different computer (let's say
> c:\context) and then move that to the same directory on the other computer?
>
> I'm really interested in knowing whether this works, since I must first
> ask to a friend to be able to install ConTeXt on her computer to be able
> to use it on the computer I want. I'm on Linux myself.

You can install the minimals (for windows) on a pendrive with
Wine. This way I had no problem accessing my university’s Adobe
fonts at public computers in the library. All I had was a
restricted user account and cmd.exe. I used to work flawlessly
(until they disabled the terminal when they did a global upgrade
to win7).

Regards
Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: ConTeXt Standalone/Suite in Windows
@ 2012-11-22 22:28   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-22 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> ···<date: 2012-11-22, Thursday>···<from: Pablo Rodríguez>···
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I would like to be able to use a ConTeXt Standalone on a computer with
>> WinXP Pro and no internet connection and no administrative rights.
>>
>> Isn't it possible to install on a different computer (let's say
>> c:\context) and then move that to the same directory on the other computer?
>>
>> I'm really interested in knowing whether this works, since I must first
>> ask to a friend to be able to install ConTeXt on her computer to be able
>> to use it on the computer I want. I'm on Linux myself.
>
> You can install the minimals (for windows) on a pendrive with
> Wine. This way I had no problem accessing my university’s Adobe
> fonts at public computers in the library. All I had was a
> restricted user account and cmd.exe. I used to work flawlessly
> (until they disabled the terminal when they did a global upgrade
> to win7).

Does first-setup support --platform=all? That way, you don't need wine to
create a USB drive with binaries for windows (and all linux
architectures).

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt Standalone/Suite in Windows
@ 2012-11-22 23:40     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-11-22 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> ···<date: 2012-11-22, Thursday>···<from: Pablo Rodríguez>···
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I would like to be able to use a ConTeXt Standalone on a computer with
>>> WinXP Pro and no internet connection and no administrative rights.
>>>
>>> Isn't it possible to install on a different computer (let's say
>>> c:\context) and then move that to the same directory on the other
>>> computer?
>>>
>>> I'm really interested in knowing whether this works, since I must first
>>> ask to a friend to be able to install ConTeXt on her computer to be able
>>> to use it on the computer I want. I'm on Linux myself.
>>

>> You can install the minimals (for windows) on a pendrive with
>> Wine. This way I had no problem accessing my university’s Adobe
>> fonts at public computers in the library. All I had was a
>> restricted user account and cmd.exe. I used to work flawlessly
>> (until they disabled the terminal when they did a global upgrade
>> to win7).
>
> Does first-setup support --platform=all? That way, you don't need wine to
> create a USB drive with binaries for windows (and all linux architectures).

One definitely doesn't need wine. If one only has a linux machine on
the network, using
    ./first-setup.sh --platform=mswin
should suffice (probably one only needs to run mtxrun/mktexlsr and
"context --make" [texexec --make] for the first time on the new
machine).

If you have windows computer, just fetch the files and copy them to
the other machine. Actually, we also had zips
(http://minimals.contextgarden.net/pragma/), but I stopped updating
them.

The distribution is not "installed" in traditional sense. Only the
files are fetched and nothing is written into global PATH or registry.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Standalone/Suite in Windows
@ 2012-11-23 16:40       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/11/12 00:40, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> ···<date: 2012-11-22, Thursday>···<from: Pablo Rodríguez>···

>  [...]
> One definitely doesn't need wine. If one only has a linux machine on
> the network, using
>     ./first-setup.sh --platform=mswin
> should suffice (probably one only needs to run mtxrun/mktexlsr and
> "context --make" [texexec --make] for the first time on the new
> machine).
>
> If you have windows computer, just fetch the files and copy them to
> the other machine. Actually, we also had zips
> (http://minimals.contextgarden.net/pragma/), but I stopped updating
> them.
>
> The distribution is not "installed" in traditional sense. Only the
> files are fetched and nothing is written into global PATH or registry.

Many thanks for the replies, Hans, Philipp, Aditya and Mojca.

I understood
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Moving_the_installation_tree_around_.28linux.29
so that non-Unix trees weren't impossible to move.

Many thanks for your help again,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-23 23:35         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-11-23 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I understood
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Moving_the_installation_tree_around_.28linux.29
> so that non-Unix trees weren't impossible to move.

I have no clue why "linux" is mentioned. Moving the trees around is
possible for any platform.

Mojca