* handling fonts with missing math (was: math signs in itemize)
@ 2011-09-26  6:46 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-26  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29, R. Ermers wrote:

> Snippets from log file:
>
> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.

Independent of everything else that has been said in that thread:
wouldn't it be nice to simply fall back on Latin Modern for math when
some font doesn't provide accompanying math glyphs instead of giving
up in the middle of the run? Of course that will give suboptimal
result (in particular everything inside $math$ will be in LM as
opposed to original font), but at least it won't complain about a
missing $\bullet$ and one can always use $\frac{\text{1}}{\text{2}}$
or something similar :).

Mojca

* Re: handling fonts with missing math (was: math signs in itemize)
@ 2011-09-27 17:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-9-2011 08:46, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29, R. Ermers wrote:
>>
>> Snippets from log file:
>>
>> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
>
> Independent of everything else that has been said in that thread:
> wouldn't it be nice to simply fall back on Latin Modern for math when
> some font doesn't provide accompanying math glyphs instead of giving
> up in the middle of the run? Of course that will give suboptimal
> result (in particular everything inside $math$ will be in LM as
> opposed to original font), but at least it won't complain about a
> missing $\bullet$ and one can always use $\frac{\text{1}}{\text{2}}$
> or something similar :).

there is some fall back mechanism that does that but as soon as one
defined his/her own typescript that can interfere

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-27 17:52   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-27 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:44, Hans Hagen wrote:

> there is some fall back mechanism that does that but as soon as one defined
> his/her own typescript that can interfere

How should we define trypescripts to avoid interference then?

@ 2011-09-27 17:57     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-27 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-9-2011 19:52, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> there is some fall back mechanism that does that but as soon as one defined
>> his/her own typescript that can interfere
>
> How should we define trypescripts to avoid interference then?

A typeface definition normally has a matching monospace and math
definition (so: ss + tt + mm or rm + tt + mm or in some cases rm + ss +
tt + mm). Of course some relative scaling has to be considered then.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-28  8:58       ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2011-09-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

In the mean time my general font problem subsists.

It seems that the gentium font is not loaded at all (see snippet from log file). I use the regular standalone installation, I have not changed anything. I use the standard typescript file.

Note that my file processed normally, including the gentium font, until the last update. I currently use version 2011.05.18 18:04.

Do I have to change anything?

Regards,

Robert

Snippet 1 from log file:

</prog2/context2/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmono10-regular.otf></prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyretermes-regular.otf></prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyretermes-italic.otf></prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyretermes-bold.otf></prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyretermes-regular.otf>

Snippet 2 from log file:

The gentium font is mentioned in lines such as these:

....\localleftbox=null
....\localrightbox=null
...\*gentium11ptrmtf* G
...\*gentium11ptrmtf* e
...etc.
..\penalty 4100
...\glue(\leftskip) 0.0 plus 29.87538
...\*gentium11ptrmtf* d
...\*gentium11ptrmtf* e
...\discretionary []
...\*gentium11ptrmtf* l
...etc.
..\glue(\baselineskip) 1.49379
..etc.

Snippets from mtxrun.log:

In some lines it says: 0 okay. Does this mean that the fonts cannot be used?

fonts           | names | identifying tree font files with suffix ttf
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-project for ttf files
fonts           | names | 6 entries found, 0 ttf files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts for ttf files
fonts           | names | 398 entries found, 13 ttf files checked, 13 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-local for ttf files
fonts           | names | 6 entries found, 0 ttf files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-modules for ttf files
fonts           | names | 80 entries found, 0 ttf files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-context for ttf files
fonts           | names | 1941 entries found, 1 ttf files checked, 1 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-osx-64 for ttf files
fonts           | names | 73 entries found, 0 ttf files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf for ttf files
fonts           | names | 3431 entries found, 55 ttf files checked, 55 okay
fonts           | names | identifying tree font files with suffix TTF
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-project for TTF files
fonts           | names | 6 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-fonts for TTF files
fonts           | names | 398 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-local for TTF files
fonts           | names | 6 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-modules for TTF files
fonts           | names | 80 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-context for TTF files
fonts           | names | 1941 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf-osx-64 for TTF files
fonts           | names | 73 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | scanning /prog2/context2/tex/texmf for TTF files
fonts           | names | 3431 entries found, 0 TTF files checked, 0 okay
fonts           | names | 69 tree files identified, 40 skipped, 32 duplicates, 29 hash entries added, runtime 0.061 seconds
fonts           | names | 13 files rejected due to clashes
fonts           | names | 152 double lookups in mappings
fonts           | names | 2 double lookups in fallbacks

Op 27 sep 2011, om 19:57 heeft Hans Hagen het volgende geschreven:

@ 2011-09-28  9:14         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-28  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:58 AM, R. Ermers <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> In the mean time my general font problem subsists.
>
> It seems that the gentium font is not loaded at all (see snippet from log file). I use the regular standalone installation, I have not changed anything. I use the standard typescript file.
>
> Note that my file processed normally, including the gentium font, until the last update. I currently use version 2011.05.18 18:04.

This works

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[gentium]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

current version: 2011.09.27 20:05

Install simplefonts with
first-setup.sh --modules=t-simplefonts

--
luigi

* Re: handling fonts with missing math
@ 2011-09-28 11:14           ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2011-09-28 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Luigi,

The option with simplefonts does not work either.

Please have a look at the snippets below. There it says that simplefonts is loaded.
There still is an issue with a math font.

I think the two issues are somehow combined. There is a general problem regarding finding installed fonts.

Thanks again!

Robert

mkiv lua stats  > loaded tex modules        - 4 requested, 4 found (*-newmat *-simplefonts t-annotation t-lettrine), 0 missing

mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.70.1-2011051908 (rev 4277)

fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*gentium5ptmmmr33*
fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*gentium7ptmmmr22*

Op 28 sep 2011, om 11:14 heeft luigi scarso het volgende geschreven:

@ 2011-09-28 11:21             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM, R. Ermers <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Thanks Luigi,
>
> The option with simplefonts does not work either.
>
> Please have a look at the snippets below. There it says that simplefonts is loaded.
> There still is an issue with a math font.
>
> I think the two issues are somehow combined. There is a general problem regarding finding installed fonts.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Robert
>

> mkiv lua stats  > loaded tex modules        - 4 requested, 4 found (*-newmat *-simplefonts t-annotation t-lettrine), 0 missing
>
> mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.70.1-2011051908 (rev 4277)
>
> fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*gentium5ptmmmr33*
> fonts           > defining > forced type otf of lmmath not found
> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lmmath' is not found using lookup 'file'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font lmmath, loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define lmmath.otf as \*gentium7ptmmmr22*

%%%test.tex
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[gentium]
\starttext
\input knuth
$1\neq0$
\stoptext

# pdffonts  test.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
POGNQK+Gentium                       CID TrueType      yes yes yes     18  0
YQLDYZ+LMMath-Regular                CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     19  0

It seems ok here with latest mkiv.

--
luigi

* Re: handling fonts with missing math
@ 2011-09-30 21:39       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-09-30 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:57, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 27-9-2011 19:52, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>>
>>> there is some fall back mechanism that does that but as soon as one
>>> defined
>>> his/her own typescript that can interfere
>>
>> How should we define trypescripts to avoid interference then?
>
> A typeface definition normally has a matching monospace and math definition
> (so: ss + tt + mm or rm + tt + mm or in some cases rm + ss + tt + mm). Of
> course some relative scaling has to be considered then.

Do you want to say that we need an explicit definition of LM Math?

Just curious: how much information is missing/how much would would it
be if we would want to create a virtual math font by combining LM +
populating italic/bold/bold italic latin and greek math alphabets from
text font? Would that look horrible because of lack of information
about glyph metrics?

@ 2011-10-01  8:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-9-2011 23:39, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:57, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:

>>> How should we define trypescripts to avoid interference then?
>>
>> A typeface definition normally has a matching monospace and math definition
>> (so: ss + tt + mm or rm + tt + mm or in some cases rm + ss + tt + mm). Of
>> course some relative scaling has to be considered then.
>
> Do you want to say that we need an explicit definition of LM Math?
>
> Just curious: how much information is missing/how much would would it
> be if we would want to create a virtual math font by combining LM +
> populating italic/bold/bold italic latin and greek math alphabets from
> text font? Would that look horrible because of lack of information
> about glyph metrics?

that is relatively easy: just make a lfg file that contains the
specification (and choose some math font that suits)

my guess is that it will look bad in most cases

we might consider making a sort of generic partial math font (maybe even
needs to be designed) that sort of fills in the usual bits and pieces
(root signs, arrows etc) in a way that matches an average font

(we probably need a few weights then)

of course that would only work for not too fancy math

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE