From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: TikZ bug fixing (git, minimals, ...)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:00:44 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 17:14, Philipp A. <flying-sheep@web.de> wrote:
> thanks for picking up my rant in such a constructive manner :)
>
> A quick googling showed me this tool, cvs2git, whose “Development status”
> section really sounds promising:
>
> ~~~~
>
> Development status
>
> Most of the work of converting a repository from CVS to a more modern
> version control system is inferring the most likely history given the
> incomplete information that CVS records. cvs2svn has a long history of
> making sense of even the most convoluted CVS repositories, and cvs2git uses
> this same machinery. Therefore, cvs2git inherits the robustness and many of
> the features of cvs2svn. cvs2svn can convert just about every CVS repository
> we have ever seen, and includes a plethora of options for customizing your
> conversion.
>
> The output of cvs2git is one or more dump files that can be imported into
> git using the excellent git fast-import tool.
>
> Although cvs2git is considerably newer than cvs2svn, and much less well
> tested, it is believed that cvs2git can (cautiously) be used for production
> conversions. If you use cvs2git, please let us know how it worked for you!

At the moment I'm using
    git cvsimport -C $DIR/git/gnuplot.git -p x -d $DIR/cvs/gnuplot gnuplot
to get gnuplot out of CVS repository.

So far this worked reliably, the only problems that I experienced were:
- I forgot the --delete switch when using rsync to fetch files from
CVS repository, so files were not removed from repository, but that
was entirely my fault
- I once deleted a directory in CVS which had disastrous consequences
since all the files from that directory are lost. But I think that
this is a limitation of CVS, not limitation of git import tool. Nobody
could restore those files. I had the git repository from an earlier
attempt, so this was not a problem, but the CVS repository is still of
questionable value.
- files in CVS repositories on sourceforge have utterly weird
permissions (like 575 for example); when I do "git cvsimport" those
permissions stay on files on the same computer, but since git doesn't
keep exact permissions, it turns out to be ok at the end
- Warning: commit message does not conform to UTF-8.
You may want to amend it after fixing the message, or set the config
variable i18n.commitencoding to the encoding your project uses.

Apart from that, no negative experience.

> ~~~~
>
> I hope this means that PGF/TikZ becomes hosted on Github – I think the team
> there does a great job and the concept of “pull requests” really fits any
> open source project, no matter how hard the criteria for patches are.

Sadly not. If I put their code to GitHub, this doesn't mean that
GitHub will become their primary version control system. I would use
it just to simplify packaging of ConTeXt distribution. However:
- it would be a convenient place for pgf developers to see which
patches are needed
- patches would be tested by ConTeXt users
- it would be much easier to keep track of changes that are needed
- we could use the bug tracker to keep track of changes that are still needed
- Aditya or anyone else would be free to play with more ConTeXt-like
code; pgf developers are not all aware of modern coding style in
ConTeXt, but if they received a ready solution, they might accept it

I have now put the files to
    https://github.com/mojca/pgf
The location is temporary, so don't rely on it.

Here is what I did:
    rsync -aO --delete rsync://pgf.cvs.sourceforge.net/cvsroot/pgf/  cvs/pgf
    git cvsimport -C $PWD/git/pgf.git -p x -d $PWD/cvs/pgf pgf
    git remote add origin git@github.com:mojca/pgf.git
    git push -u origin master
    git push --tags

The main problem is that I'm not yet sure how to transform this into
TDS (keeping all the history etc.)

Mojca