* Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-23 23:54 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-23 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to add a continuous underbar under a paragraph or a title as in:

\setupbar
    [color=red,offset=10pt]
\starttext
\underbar{Test this \high{\tfxx ®}}
\stoptext

... but I'm confused about two aspects:

- How can I prevent \high{} from shifting the underbar?
- How can I add more offset?

The color keyword works, but offset doesn't seem to have any effect
even though it's listed in the reference.

I was able to address the second problem (adding more offset) with
something like
    \definebar[BarU][offset=-0.7]
    \startbar[BarU] ... \stopbar
but I wasn't able to get rid of the shift (and the bar had a different
thickness when a smaller font was used).

I can find ugly workarounds with frames, but it would be ideal if I
could get one of the underbar mechanisms to work "out-of-the-box".

Thank you,
   Mojca

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-24 12:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/24/2016 1:54 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add a continuous underbar under a paragraph or a title as in:
>
> \setupbar
>     [color=red,offset=10pt]
> \starttext
> \underbar{Test this \high{\tfxx ®}}
> \stoptext
>
> ... but I'm confused about two aspects:
>
> - How can I prevent \high{} from shifting the underbar?

i need to think about it .. maybe an option

> - How can I add more offset?

underbar is derived from the parent but has its own offset and an offset
is relative to the baseline and a fraction of th eunit (normally the ex
of a font)

\setupbar[underbar][color=red,offset=-.5]

\starttext

\underbar{Test this \high{\tfxx ®}}

\stoptext

> The color keyword works, but offset doesn't seem to have any effect
> even though it's listed in the reference.
>
> I was able to address the second problem (adding more offset) with
> something like
>     \definebar[BarU][offset=-0.7]
>     \startbar[BarU] ... \stopbar
> but I wasn't able to get rid of the shift (and the bar had a different
> thickness when a smaller font was used).
>
> I can find ugly workarounds with frames, but it would be ideal if I
> could get one of the underbar mechanisms to work "out-of-the-box".

just see how underbar is defined ... if you want fixed dimensions you
should used a fixed unit (not one derived from the current font)

Hans

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-25 15:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-05-25 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
> 24. Mai 2016 um 14:19
> On 5/24/2016 1:54 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to add a continuous underbar under a paragraph or a
>> title as in:
>>
>> \setupbar
>>     [color=red,offset=10pt]
>> \starttext
>> \underbar{Test this \high{\tfxx ®}}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> ... but I'm confused about two aspects:
>>
>> - How can I prevent \high{} from shifting the underbar?
>
> i need to think about it .. maybe an option
>
>> - How can I add more offset?
>
> underbar is derived from the parent but has its own offset and an
> offset is relative to the baseline and a fraction of th eunit
> (normally the ex of a font)
>
> \setupbar[underbar][color=red,offset=-.5]
>
> \starttext
>
> \underbar{Test this \high{\tfxx ®}}
>
> \stoptext
With \shiftup the line under the raised text stays at the same position.

\starttext
\underbar{Test this \shiftup{®}}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-26 12:48     ` Mojca Miklavec
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-26 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 May 2016 at 17:35, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> With \shiftup the line under the raised text stays at the same position.
>
> \starttext
> \underbar{Test this \shiftup{®}}
> \stoptext

When has \shiftup been implemented?

It doesn't work in TeX Live (or maybe I forgot to update TL to the
latest version), but works with the latest version of ConTeXt.

Nevertheless this doesn't entirely solve the problem. I now have a
problem with the following:

    \catcode`č=\active
    \defč{\buildtextaccent\textcaron c}

    \underbar{Test this č}

I will try to remember how to fix the font on the fly with lua (or
perhaps figure out how to edit the font; it's a commercial font
though, so fixing it "on the fly" would probably be better).

I will also test some other piece of code that Hans sent me off-list.
(I seem to remember that there must be some tens of ways to underline
text. Every now and then Hans sends a new demo.)

Mojca

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-26 13:10       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2016-05-26 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 26 May 2016 14:48:00 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 May 2016 at 17:35, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >
> > With \shiftup the line under the raised text stays at the same
> > position.
> >
> > \starttext
> > \underbar{Test this \shiftup{®}}
> > \stoptext
>
> When has \shiftup been implemented?

The git history first mentions it on 2015.12.22. I didn't know that
command, either.

Marco

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-26 15:20       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-05-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 May 2016, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>    \catcode`č=\active
>    \defč{\buildtextaccent\textcaron c}

Instead of creating an active character, does this work:

\definefontfeature
   [default]
   [default]
   [compose=yes]

Aditya

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-26 16:17       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-05-26 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/26/2016 2:48 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 25 May 2016 at 17:35, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> With \shiftup the line under the raised text stays at the same position.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \underbar{Test this \shiftup{®}}
>> \stoptext
>
> When has \shiftup been implemented?
>
> It doesn't work in TeX Live (or maybe I forgot to update TL to the
> latest version), but works with the latest version of ConTeXt.

it has always been there but recently i saw that when i had updated some
low level stuff (to new luatex) i had forgotten something, so i fixed that

> Nevertheless this doesn't entirely solve the problem. I now have a
> problem with the following:
>
>     \catcode`č=\active
>     \defč{\buildtextaccent\textcaron c}

doesn't the compose=yes feature work?

>     \underbar{Test this č}
>
> I will try to remember how to fix the font on the fly with lua (or
> perhaps figure out how to edit the font; it's a commercial font
> though, so fixing it "on the fly" would probably be better).
>
> I will also test some other piece of code that Hans sent me off-list.
> (I seem to remember that there must be some tens of ways to underline
> text. Every now and then Hans sends a new demo.)

so let's give you another piece

\startluacode
fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
     name = "mojca",
     type = "multiple",
     prepend = true,
     data = {
         ["č"] = { 0x30C, "c" },
     }
}
fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
     name = "kern",
     type = "pair",
     data = {
         [0x30C] = { c = { { 500, 0, 0, 0 }, false } },
     }
}
\stopluacode

\definefontfeature[default][default][mojca=yes]

\showframe

\starttext

     mojča miklave\utfchar{"30C}c

\stoptext

(actually it uncovered a buglet but i suppose the č never is the first
char so ...)

Hans

* Re: Underbar offset
@ 2016-05-26 17:24         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-05-26 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 May 2016 at 18:17, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/26/2016 2:48 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Nevertheless this doesn't entirely solve the problem. I now have a
>> problem with the following:
>>
>>     \catcode`č=\active
>>     \defč{\buildtextaccent\textcaron c}
>

> doesn't the compose=yes feature work?

I'm sorry, compose=yes works as expected (I was copy pasting some old
code and forgot about the later improvements in ConTeXt: shame on me).

> so let's give you another piece
>
> \startluacode
> fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>     name = "mojca",
>     type = "multiple",
>     prepend = true,
>     data = {
>         ["č"] = { 0x30C, "c" },
>     }
> }
> fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>     name = "kern",
>     type = "pair",
>     data = {
>         [0x30C] = { c = { { 500, 0, 0, 0 }, false } },
>     }
> }
> \stopluacode
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][mojca=yes]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
>     mojča miklave\utfchar{"30C}c
>
> \stoptext
>
> (actually it uncovered a buglet but i suppose the č never is the first char
> so ...)

But the code above doesn't seem to work (I don't get the letter "č"
printed out at all). I would prefer the approach with more fine-tuning
though because "č" is always misaligned. And I seem to remember that
this functionality has been in the core for a long time already, I
just again forgot about it because most fonts include the full charset
nowadays.

Mojca