* ConTeXt standalone broken (texlua)
@ 2012-12-13  9:55 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-12-13  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):

/usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"

Alan

* Re: ConTeXt standalone broken (texlua)
@ 2012-12-13  9:59 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-12-13  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):
>
> /usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
checking...

--
luigi

* Re: ConTeXt standalone broken (texlua)
@ 2012-12-13 10:03   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-12-13 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
>> The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):
>>
>> /usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
> checking...

Linux luigicasa-K55VD 3.5.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 13
17:48:01 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
is ok
--
luigi

* Re: ConTeXt standalone broken (texlua)
@ 2012-12-13 10:20 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2012-12-13 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/13/2012 10:55 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):
>
> /usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"

 From the internet, I can deduce that this means that the runtime libc
does not match the compile time libc.

In particular, this seems relevant:

   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports/105182

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt standalone broken (texlua)
@ 2012-12-13 10:46   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-12-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:20:49 +0100
Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2012 10:55 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):
> >
> > /usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
>
>  From the internet, I can deduce that this means that the runtime libc
> does not match the compile time libc.
>
> In particular, this seems relevant:
>
>    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports/105182
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Yes, I forced a recompile locally (I am running 9.0, Mojca must have compiled on 9.1)
and then modified first-setup.sh NOT to re-sync luatex from the standalone server
and the update then succeeded.

Strangely, the binary on the server worked yesterday. However, since then,
an update of the ports updated pcre, notably, and this requires a recompile
of many binaries. I suspect that this is the problem.

On TeXlive, many precautions are taken to produce "universal" binaries
(i.e. freebsd 7.2)

@ 2012-12-13 12:20     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-12-13 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:20:49 +0100
> Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/13/2012 10:55 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> > The ConTeXt standalone is broken, running first-setup.sh (amd64-freebsd):
>> >
>> > /usr/local/context/beta/bin/texlua: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
>>
>>  From the internet, I can deduce that this means that the runtime libc
>> does not match the compile time libc.
>>
>> In particular, this seems relevant:
>>
>>    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports/105182
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>
> Yes, I forced a recompile locally (I am running 9.0, Mojca must have compiled on 9.1)

True.
    FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE

> and then modified first-setup.sh NOT to re-sync luatex from the standalone server
> and the update then succeeded.
>
> Strangely, the binary on the server worked yesterday. However, since then,
> an update of the ports updated pcre, notably, and this requires a recompile
> of many binaries. I suspect that this is the problem.

Interesting.

> On TeXlive, many precautions are taken to produce "universal" binaries
> (i.e. freebsd 7.2)

But on the other hand, TeX Live has a much wider audience than ConTeXt
does. I should check the logs, but I don't recall seeing that many
users on (k)freebsd, and the ones who have it, use a recent version.

I happily leave compilation of FreeBSD to you if my binaries don't work ;)

Mojca