* MnSymbol vectors and goodie file
@ 2017-08-22  2:48 Никола Милинковић
From: Никола Милинковић @ 2017-08-22  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello, world! :)

I'm a recent LaTeX->ConTeXt convert, and I've started working on .lfg files
for
MnSymbol (and related MdSymbol and FdSymbol) fonts. The code written so far
is
on GitHub: https://github.com/nikmilpv/ConTeXt-MnSymbol

Here's a bit of info first, and then a couple of questions.

MnSymbol font consists of following files in several design sizes:
- MnSymbolA*.tfm - arrows
- MnSymbolB*.tfm - negated (stroked) arrows
- MnSymbolC*.tfm - binary operators
- MnSymbolD*.tfm - relations
- MnSymbolE*.tfm - brackets, braces, parens, sqrt, overbrace, widehat,...
- MnSymbolF*.tfm - big operators

Getting MnSymbolA-D to work is a matter of writing the right unicode->tfm
slot
vectors ("symb-a", ..., "symb-d") and is a WIP.

1. I couldn't get MnSymbolE to work with "extension=true", so I have patched
math-vfu.lua in a way that allows me to set bigger sizes for brackets, etc.
manually in mnsymbol.lfg. Is there a better/smarter way to do this?

2. MnSymbol has a lot of non-unicode glyphs. What's the right way of using
(some of) them in ConTeXt? I was thinking of mapping them to a private use
area
(eg. [0x0F000] = 18) and then defining \def\somename{\Umathchar"0"0"F000}
on TeX
end. What is the syntax of \Umathchar? I skimmed the LuaTeX manual, but
couldn't
find it.

3. Overbrace and underbrace don't work at all, but they do give correct
output
with \showmathfontcharacters. I can't figure out why. Widetilde and widehat
work
OK.

4. MnSymbol has both / (slash, solidus) and \ (backslash, reverse solidus)
in
several sizes. Slash works with \left, \middle, \right, but backslash
doesn't.
How can this be fixed?

5. There are glyphs for \cdots, \vdots, \udots, etc. in MnSymbolC, but even
after setting them in "symb-c" vector, I'm under the impression that faked
dots
from math-vfu.lua are used. Am I wrong?

6. How can I set rule thickness for \sqrt?

Thanks in advance!

-- Nikola Milinković