* Footnote rules for bidi document
@ 2016-01-03 18:22 Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-01-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

This has been previously discussed on the list but I didn't find a
resolution to the issue.  It might as well be my fault since I didn't go
through the entire archive and I am needless to say new to CONTEXT.

In a bidi text (Persian/English in my case), I would like the footnote rule
to be placed on the right-hand side if and only if the first line of the
footnote text is RTL.  Is there a way this information can be obtained
within a user-defined rulecommand.  Ideally I'd like a rule=autodir
attribute for notes in addition to the current left & right.

Speaking of which, the left & right rules do not seem to work, or I
misunderstand their point.  When used (either left or right), the footnote
rule disappears.

\starttext

\definenote[afootnote][paragraph=no,rule=right]

\startalignment[r2l]
righttoleft text\afootnote{\input ward }
\input tufte
\stopalignment

\startalignment[l2r]
lefttoright text\afootnote{\input ward}
\input tufte
\stopalignment

\stoptext

I see these defined in strc-not.mkvi
<http://repo.or.cz/w/context.git/blob/HEAD:/tex/context/base/strc-not.mkvi> and
still don't work with "% macros=mkvi" in the first line of the input file
and when the file has extension mkvi.  Is this some issue of mkiv vs mkvi?
For what it's worth, I don't notice a reference to MKVI in the compilation
output.

Back to the main question, I can define my own rule as follows:

\unprotect
\def\myfootrule{%
 \ifvmode
      \dontleavehmode \hskip.8\hsize\blackrule
        [\c!color=\noteparameter\c!rulecolor,
         \c!width=.2\hsize,
         \c!height=\noteparameter\c!rulethickness,
         \c!depth=\zeropoint]%
      \endgraf
      \kern\strutdepth
    \fi}
\protect

Then I can use

\definenote[afootnote][paragraph=no,rule=command,rulecommand=\myfootrule]

to get a footnote rule on the right-hand side.  If I can figure out whether
the first line of the footnote text is RTL or LTR, an if-statement can do
the trick I want.
Somewhat related to this, I was wondering whether it's possible to define
two note commands, say \footnote and \afootnote, that use the same counter
but are otherwise completely different.

I use TeXLive 2015 on Mac OS X,
         CONTEXT 2015.05.18 12:26, and
         LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238).

Thanks a lot!
—MHB

* Re: Footnote rules for bidi document
@ 2016-01-03 19:58 ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-01-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I just found out that
  \definenote[afootnote][rule={on,right}]
instead of
  \definenote[afootnote][rule=right]
works and places the footnote rule on the right-hand side.

Still wondering about how to get automatic right/left rules.

@ 2016-01-03 22:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/3/2016 8:58 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
> I just found out that
>    \definenote[afootnote][rule={on,right}]
> instead of
>    \definenote[afootnote][rule=right]
> works and places the footnote rule on the right-hand side.
>
> Still wondering about how to get automatic right/left rules.

what do you mean with automatic ... the problem with mixed direction
documents is that these things are part of the document design: dominant
direction vs local direction and right now we don't have a clear model
for that (if only because till now demands were always conflicting so
what works as default for someone doesn't for someone else)

(i can imagine some modules that set up things)

> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni
> <bateni@gmail.com <mailto:bateni@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     This has been previously discussed on the list but I didn't find a
>     resolution to the issue.  It might as well be my fault since I
>     didn't go through the entire archive and I am needless to say new to
>     CONTEXT.
>
>     In a bidi text (Persian/English in my case), I would like the
>     footnote rule to be placed on the right-hand side if and only if the
>     first line of the footnote text is RTL.  Is there a way this
>     information can be obtained within a user-defined rulecommand.
>     Ideally I'd like a rule=autodir attribute for notes in addition to
>     the current left & right.
>
>     Speaking of which, the left & right rules do not seem to work, or I
>     misunderstand their point.  When used (either left or right), the
>     footnote rule disappears.
>
>     \starttext
>
>     \definenote[afootnote][paragraph=no,rule=right]
>
>     \startalignment[r2l]
>     righttoleft text\afootnote{\input ward }
>     \input tufte
>     \stopalignment
>
>     \startalignment[l2r]
>     lefttoright text\afootnote{\input ward}
>     \input tufte
>     \stopalignment
>
>     \stoptext
>
>     I see these defined in strc-not.mkvi
>     <http://repo.or.cz/w/context.git/blob/HEAD:/tex/context/base/strc-not.mkvi> and
>     still don't work with "% macros=mkvi" in the first line of the input
>     file and when the file has extension mkvi.  Is this some issue of
>     mkiv vs mkvi?  For what it's worth, I don't notice a reference to
>     MKVI in the compilation output.
>
>     Back to the main question, I can define my own rule as follows:
>
>     \unprotect
>     \def\myfootrule{%
>       \ifvmode
>            \dontleavehmode \hskip.8\hsize\blackrule
>              [\c!color=\noteparameter\c!rulecolor,
>               \c!width=.2\hsize,
>               \c!height=\noteparameter\c!rulethickness,
>               \c!depth=\zeropoint]%
>            \endgraf
>            \kern\strutdepth
>          \fi}
>     \protect
>
>     Then I can use
>
>     \definenote[afootnote][paragraph=no,rule=command,rulecommand=\myfootrule]
>
>     to get a footnote rule on the right-hand side.  If I can figure out
>     whether the first line of the footnote text is RTL or LTR, an
>     if-statement can do the trick I want.
>
>     Somewhat related to this, I was wondering whether it's possible to
>     define two note commands, say \footnote and \afootnote, that use the
>     same counter but are otherwise completely different.
>
>     I use TeXLive 2015 on Mac OS X,
>               CONTEXT 2015.05.18 12:26, and
>               LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238).
>
>     Thanks a lot!
>     —MHB

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2016-01-04  0:00     ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-01-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see your point, Hans. For what it's worth, that's the default for mixed
Persian/English documents unless one uses a system that cannot do it. For
instance, FarsiTeX and XePersian provide that as default behavior.

That said, I'm not asking for this to be the default. I only want to know
how it can be achieved. The code will be put in my style file or module.

Is it possible to determine the direction of the first line of footnote
block while typesetting the footnote rule? I imagine it should not be
difficult in Lua. Note that this may be the leftover from a long footnote
that started on some previous page.

--MHB

@ 2016-01-04 14:36       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-04 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/4/2016 1:00 AM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
> I see your point, Hans. For what it's worth, that's the default for
> mixed Persian/English documents unless one uses a system that cannot do
> it. For instance, FarsiTeX and XePersian provide that as default behavior.
>
> That said, I'm not asking for this to be the default. I only want to
> know how it can be achieved. The code will be put in my style file or
> module.

i'll add rule=paragraph (i.e. listen to the first following paragraph if
possible) ... you need to document it as for sure i forget about it

> [...]
>
>              to get a footnote rule on the right-hand side.  If I can
>         figure out
>              whether the first line of the footnote text is RTL or LTR, an
>              if-statement can do the trick I want.
>
>              Somewhat related to this, I was wondering whether it's
>         possible to
>              define two note commands, say \footnote and \afootnote,
>         that use the
>              same counter but are otherwise completely different.
>
>              I use TeXLive 2015 on Mac OS X,
>                        CONTEXT 2015.05.18 12 <tel:2015.05.18%2012>:26, and
>                        LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev
>         5238).
>
>              Thanks a lot!
>              —MHB

>     --
>
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>                                                Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>                    Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2016-01-04 16:21         ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-01-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That said, I'm not asking for this to be the default. I only want to
>> know how it can be achieved. The code will be put in my style file or
>> module.
>>

> i'll add rule=paragraph (i.e. listen to the first following paragraph if
> possible) ... you need to document it as for sure i forget about it

Awesome!  Thanks, Hans!  Once this becomes available and I test it, I'll
update the documentation for Footnotes on Context Garden.

@ 2016-01-09  2:15           ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-01-09  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated the documentation on context garden.  Hans, I hadn't noticed that
you updated the macros on the same day as your last message!

I had another question regarding the definition of notes/footnotes.  It is
not that important but I am curious: is it possible to define two notes
that are essentially the same except for some of their stylistic
definitions?  Let me give an example.

some text \Afootnote{A}
more text \Bfootnote{B}
some more text \Afootnote{C}

And I want the result at the bottom of the page to read:

1 A
2 B
3 C

However, I'd like to have the power to control how the numbers are typeset
in the text and at the bottom, as well as determine the fonts, etc. of
\Afootnote and \Bfootnote separately.

@ 2016-01-09 13:07             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-09 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/9/2016 3:15 AM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
> I updated the documentation on context garden.  Hans, I hadn't noticed
> that you updated the macros on the same day as your last message!
>
> I had another question regarding the definition of notes/footnotes.  It
> is not that important but I am curious: is it possible to define two
> notes that are essentially the same except for some of their stylistic
> definitions?  Let me give an example.
>
> some text \Afootnote{A}
> more text \Bfootnote{B}
> some more text \Afootnote{C}
>
> And I want the result at the bottom of the page to read:
>
> 1 A
> 2 B
> 3 C
>
> However, I'd like to have the power to control how the numbers are
> typeset in the text and at the bottom, as well as determine the fonts,
> etc. of \Afootnote and \Bfootnote separately.

\definenote[handnote][footnote] \setupnotation[handnote][style=bold]
\definenote[earnote] [footnote] \setupnotation[earnote]
[style=bolditalic,color=green]
\definenote[nosenote][earnote]  \setupnotation[nosenote][color=red]

\starttext

a foot note \footnote{A}
a hand note \handnote{B}
an ear note \earnote{C}