* \typescriptthree within the optional argument of \definefontsynonym
@ 2016-08-04 13:24 Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-08-04 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Suppose you have a typescript as follows.

\starttypescript [first] [MyFont] [GoodieOne,GoodieTwo]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [\typescripttwo] [goodies=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

Using macros \typescriptX (for X=one, two, and three) works in the first
and second arguments in \definefontsynonym but not in the optional
argument.  This seems to be because the optional argument is not expanded.
Is this a bug or a feature?

What I want to do was have a set of "fixes" (correcting kern issues, etc.)
for a collection of fonts.  I can either put these in separate goodie files
or feature sets (the latter being what I was trying but not in the sample
above), and write generic typescripts that would load any of the fonts with
its associated fixes.

While I can use sans/serif/mono in the first argument, and name of the font
in the second argument (to be mapped appropriately using \typescriptprefix
to nmemonic name and real font name), the third (optional) argument of
\definefontsynonym does not expand immediately, hence I'll end up with
"undefined" \typescriptthree when it will be used.

Best,
Hossein

* Re: \typescriptthree within the optional argument of \definefontsynonym
@ 2016-08-04 13:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-08-04 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mohammad Hossein Bateni <mailto:bateni@gmail.com>
> 4. August 2016 um 15:24
> Hello Hans,
>
> Suppose you have a typescript as follows.
>
> \starttypescript [first] [MyFont] [GoodieOne,GoodieTwo]
>   \definefontsynonym [Serif] [\typescripttwo] [goodies=\typescriptthree]
> \stoptypescript
>
> Using macros \typescriptX (for X=one, two, and three) works in the
> first and second arguments in \definefontsynonym but not in the
> optional argument.  This seems to be because the optional argument is
> not expanded.  Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> What I want to do was have a set of "fixes" (correcting kern issues,
> etc.) for a collection of fonts.  I can either put these in separate
> goodie files or feature sets (the latter being what I was trying but
> not in the sample above), and write generic typescripts that would
> load any of the fonts with its associated fixes.
>
> While I can use sans/serif/mono in the first argument, and name of the
> font in the second argument (to be mapped appropriately using
> \typescriptprefix to nmemonic name and real font name), the third
> (optional) argument of \definefontsynonym does not expand immediately,
> hence I'll end up with "undefined" \typescriptthree when it will be used.
You can try to expand the value of \typescripthree with

\starttypescript[...][...][...]
     \expanded{\definefontsynonym[...][...][goodies=\typescriptthree]}
     \expanded{\definefontsynonym[...][...][goodies=\typescriptthree]}
\stoptypescript

or

\starttypescript[...][...][...]
     \startexpanded
         \definefontsynonym[...][...][goodies=\typescriptthree]
         \definefontsynonym[...][...][goodies=\typescriptthree]
     \stopexpanded
\stoptypescript

Wolfgang

* Re: \typescriptthree within the optional argument of \definefontsynonym
@ 2016-08-04 14:00   ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-08-04 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)