* right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-02-21 12:26 Bou Salim
From: Bou Salim @ 2016-02-21 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have posted  a question in tex stack exchangeCustomize right to left list
in context
<http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/294627/customize-right-to-left-list-in-context/294631?noredirect=1#comment713701_294631>
My aim is to obtain right to left  items arranged  in  multi-column, if I
use
\startitemize [s,columns,three] [margin=1em]
the result is three column where first column start from left side of page,
but I want it to start from right side of page.

I can use \startcolumns[direction=left]\startitemize \item First \item
Second \item Third \stopitemize \stopcolumns
but I think it look better if there is a key direction=left for the
\startitemize environment such as used in columns environment.

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-02-22  9:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-02-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Bou Salim <mailto:salimcollo7@gmail.com>
> 21. Februar 2016 um 13:26
> I have posted  a question in tex stack exchange
>

>   Customize right to left list in context
>   <http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/294627/customize-right-to-left-list-in-context/294631?noredirect=1#comment713701_294631>
>
> My aim is to obtain right to left  items arranged  in  multi-column,
> if I use
> \startitemize[s,columns,three][margin=1em]
> the result is three column where first column start from left side of
> page, but I want it to start from right side of page.
>
> I can use \startcolumns[direction=left]\startitemize \item First \item
> Second \item Third \stopitemize \stopcolumns
> but I think it look better if there is a key direction=left for
> the\startitemize environment such as used in columns environment.
The underlying columns mechanism has a reverse option for the direction
key. I sent a patch to the dev list which allows a direst setting of the
direction value with the \startitemize command.

\starttext

\startitemize[columns,three]
\dorecurse{9}{\item Entry \recurselevel}
\stopitemize

\blank[3*line]

\setupmixedcolumns[itemgroupcolumns][direction=reverse]

\startitemize[columns,three]
\dorecurse{9}{\item Entry \recurselevel}
\stopitemize

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-04-27 14:06   ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-04-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,

Did you imply in the email below that a new key or something was added to
\startitemize setups?  I mean, using \setupmixedcolumns works fine but is
it possible to do this in each \startitemize individually?

Thanks,
Hossein

@ 2016-04-27 21:22     ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-04-27 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I actually figured out that one can use the following:

\startitemize[columns,two][direction=reverse]
\item first
\item second
\item third
\stopitemize

@ 2016-04-28  4:41       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2016-04-28  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mohammad Reza,

I tried your example, but it seems to me that the way the columns are presented when writing Right-to-Left is still incorrect. In the following example one should have the column containing the lines « First » and « Second » to the right of the column containing « Third » and « Fourth ».

I don’t know if there is already a way to tell ConTeXt to do it in the right way, or Hans has to look into the righttoleft mechanism.
The same issue appears in the table mechanism.

By the way, the option
	[direction=reverse]
seems to have no effect at all in Right-to-Left environment.

%%% begin example-RtoL-reverse.tex
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[ALM Fixed][features=arabic,range=arabic]

\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two]
\setupalign[righttoleft]

\starttext
آزمایش نوشتن از راست به چپ

\startitemize[columns,two][direction=reverse]
\item First
\item Second
\item Third
\item Fourth
\stopitemize

آزمایش نوشتن از راست به چپ
\startitemize[columns,two][direction=reverse]

\startitem
یک
\stopitem

\startitem
دو
\stopitem

\startitem
سه
\stopitem

\startitem
چهار
\stopitem
\stopitemize
\stoptext
%%% end example-RtoL-reverse.tex

Best regards: OK

@ 2016-04-28  7:55         ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-04-28  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared,

Your example works perfectly fine for me using version: 2016.04.13 16:46.
Perhaps, you're using an older version of CONTEXT.  There was a patch in
February enabling this.  See the output of my run attached.

—Hossein

P.S.  My name is Mohammad *Hossein*, not Mohammad Reza :)

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> page, but I want it to start from right side of page.
>>>
>>> I can use \startcolumns[direction=left]\startitemize \item First \item
>>> Second \item Third \stopitemize \stopcolumns
>>> but I think it look better if there is a key direction=left for the
>>> \startitemize environment such as used in columns environment.
>>>
>>> The underlying columns mechanism has a reverse option for the direction
>>> key. I sent a patch to the dev list which allows a direst setting of the
>>> direction value with the \startitemize command.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startitemize[columns,three]
>>> \dorecurse{9}{\item Entry \recurselevel}
>>> \stopitemize
>>>
>>> \blank[3*line]
>>>
>>> \setupmixedcolumns[itemgroupcolumns][direction=reverse]
>>>
>>> \startitemize[columns,three]
>>> \dorecurse{9}{\item Entry \recurselevel}

[-- Attachment #2: test-col.pdf --]

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-04-28 14:10           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2016-04-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mohammad-Hossein,

After updating my installation of ConTeXt indeed I see that the order of the columns is correct. (The version I have now is
	2016.04.27 10:18 MKIV beta  fmt: 2016.4.28
and the previous one was version2016.04.22 09:10).

Somehow I did not notice the February change you mention in your message, and in any case my installation was probably not really up to date.

Best regards: OK
PS: I am sorry for having changed your first name, and I apologize for that…

@ 2016-04-28 14:33             ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-04-28 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have resumed working on the RTL issues and have updated this page
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/RTL> on the context garden.  All
improvements and comments are welcome.

In addition, I am putting together a set of useful macros and settings for
Persian typesetting and releasing it on github
<https://github.com/bateni/dabeer>.  Perhaps, once I am happy with certain
things, I can ask Hans to consider including some parts as patches in
ConTeXt itself.

@ 2016-02-23 14:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-23 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/23/2016 3:01 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
> Hans, will this work right-to-left as well?

afaiks yes

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-02-23 14:01   ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-02-23 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.1.1456225201.14598.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-02-23 11:49 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2016-02-23 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2016-02-23  9:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/23/2016 12:48 AM, Jeong Dal wrote:
> Dear Hans,
>
>>> Is there any simpler way to achieve this?
>>
>> how is that supposed to work with multi-line items ?
>>

> I am sorry, I should explain more carefully.
>
> This type of itemization usually needed to list the short answers of the
> multiple-choice questions.
> Some problems are not well-composed, but you can see an example at the
> end of the following page.
>
> http://dugod1.tistory.com/archive/20120826
> http://blog.daum.net/_blog/BlogTypeView.do?blogid=0dl2J&articleno=153

the next beta will support this (but only for simple items that fit in
the available space)

       [not found] <mailman.583.1456159027.2231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-02-22 23:48 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2016-02-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Hans,

>> Is there any simpler way to achieve this?
>
> how is that supposed to work with multi-line items ?

I am sorry, I should explain more carefully.

This type of itemization usually needed to list the short answers of the multiple-choice questions.
Some problems are not well-composed, but you can see an example at the end of the following page.

http://dugod1.tistory.com/archive/20120826 <http://dugod1.tistory.com/archive/20120826>
http://blog.daum.net/_blog/BlogTypeView.do?blogid=0dl2J&articleno=153 <http://blog.daum.net/_blog/BlogTypeView.do?blogid=0dl2J&articleno=153>

Thank you.
Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
@ 2016-02-22 15:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/22/2016 3:42 PM, Jeong Dal wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang,
>
>   I’d like to ask one thing related with the itemize columns.
>
> In my country, the items are listed from left to right first and then go down to the next line.
> For example, to get the following output,
>
> 1. first		2. second		3. third
> 4. fourth	5. fifth			6. sixth
>
> I use the code as below.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startitemize[n, columns,three, ]
> \item first
> \item second
> \item third
> \stopitemize
>
> \startitemize[continue]
> \item fourth
> \item fifth
> \item sixth
> \stopitemize
>
> \stoptext
>
> Is there any simpler way to achieve this?

how is that supposed to work with multi-line items ?

Hans

* Re: right to left direction for itemize columns
       [not found] <mailman.575.1456134209.2231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-02-22 14:42 ` Jeong Dal