* mathcolor attribute in MathML (mkiv)
@ 2021-05-27 15:47 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2021-05-27 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list.

I'm trying to use colour in some MathML formulae using the mathcolor
attribute. It seems to have no effect on the output. I can
see \applymmlmathcolor in the x-mathml.mkiv source but I can't see how to
make it work. Does anyone have any pointers?

(Does lmtx support this?)

Thanks.

Duncan

* Re: mathcolor attribute in MathML (mkiv)
@ 2021-05-27 16:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-05-27 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/27/2021 5:47 PM, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I'm trying to use colour in some MathML formulae using the mathcolor
> attribute. It seems to have no effect on the output. I can
> see \applymmlmathcolor in the x-mathml.mkiv source but I can't see how
> to make it work. Does anyone have any pointers?
>
> (Does lmtx support this?)
MWE needed

* Re: mathcolor attribute in MathML (mkiv)
@ 2021-05-27 16:30   ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2021-05-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies Hans.

MWE:

\usemodule[newmml]
\starttext
\xmlprocessdata{}{<formula>
 <math xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML'>
  <mi>E</mi>
  <mfenced>
    <mo mathcolor="red">π</mo>
  </mfenced>
 </math>
</formula>}{}
\stoptext

The π symbol does not show in red.

Duncan

@ 2021-05-27 17:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-05-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/27/2021 6:30 PM, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Apologies Hans.
>
> MWE:
>
> \usemodule[newmml]
> \starttext
> \xmlprocessdata{}{<formula>
>   <math xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML
> <http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML>'>
>    <mi>E</mi>
>    <mfenced>
>      <mo mathcolor="red">π</mo>
>    </mfenced>
>   </math>
> </formula>}{}
> \stoptext
>
> The π symbol does not show in red.
Kind of trivial ... i'll send you a patched module.

If you want you can check with the standard and see where we need to add
it. I'll then adapt the mkiv file before taking a look at upgrading the
lmtx one.

For decades this mathml stuff has been a bit of a pain, because when one
uses it for a mixed web / text project one always needs to satisfy the
latest greatest either or not bugged web rendering, it disappearing from
browsers, coming back, rendered remote or in the browser, mixed
(in/with) asciimath which has its own tweaks. A pitty that content
mathml never took off, probbably also due to the failure of openmath
which took away attention from it and that we actually sort of
support(ed). So when it comes to (reasonable quality) rendering in print
one always runs a bit behind.

I'm also always a bit hesitant to touch the code because it's actually
used by a collegue in some (zero budget, so me looking at the mml is
just hobbying) projects concerning math school books where often the web
part controls the limitations and enforces weird coding (tens of
thousands of files with plenty mathml). Btw, especially symbols are a
mess and interfere with assumed structure, so that's always tricky to
touch. Especially when you want to have it specific for (mid/high)
school math.

But anyway things like a bit of color and so are not that hard to
support (more a matter of making sure performance is not hit).

Hans

* Re: mathcolor attribute in MathML (mkiv)
@ 2021-05-27 17:07       ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2021-05-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)