On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 22:30, Henri Menke wrote: > > Your formatting obscures the problem because compiling this example > works fine. I think you are starting a new paragraph before {\bf ...}. > That is a well-known problem and there are posts about it on the mailing > list every once in a while. The sidefigure mechanism uses \parshape to > make the paragraph flow around the figure. > Very many thanks Henri for your patient explanation, and my apologies for inadvertently asking a FAQ. I had thought the effect hasn't happened with the same content in mkii but it must have been a happenstance of different formatting. Thanks again for the clear solution. Duncan