* Re: option for printing range
@ 2018-02-27 18:47 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2018-02-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:15:37 +0100 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> is ok here (looking in the pdf file)
>>
>> I have tested the file in Acrobat XI and since I got the same wrong page
>> ranges, I asked to an Adobe engineer.
>>
>> He confirmed that the spec is wrong. Page counting for /PrintPageRange
>> should be zero-based and it shouldn’t start from one.

This is only one of many cases for which ISO-32000 is the spec and the
Adobe Reader is the de-facto spec. Others affect annotations and
rendering.

>> Sorry for this. Could you correct the implementation?
> the usual pdf spec rubish ... no one uses it (although tex is often
> first), they it gets a bugged implementation and then the specs change
> ... one of the reasons why i don't bother too much in implementing the
> latest pdf gadgets ... i wasted too much time adapting to changed
> (interpretation of the) specs
>
> Hans
>
> (I don't officially have the latest spec as i refuse to pay for a pdf
> specification that could be distributed in pdf format.)

A small detail: The ISO specification for PDF 2.0 also defines the
first page in /PrintPageRange to be page number 1 (not 0). :(

Cheers,
Christoph

* Re: option for printing range
@ 2018-02-28  5:57 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2018-02-28  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 2/27/2018 7:47 PM, Christoph Reller wrote:
>
> anyway, i normally test pdf with an old acrobat X pro (i don't want to lock
> into some subscription and i don't really need a more modern version) and i
> preview / print pdf using sumatra pdf
>
> (printing houses often use pretty old versions anyway)

You may actually be better off with Acrobat X then with Acrobat DC
when it comes to testing, because Acrobat DC has an even stronger
tendency to ignore errors silently. :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

* option for printing range
@ 2018-02-24 10:31 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-02-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

would it be possible to add an key to \setupinteractionscreen that
implements the /PrintPageRange key in the /ViewerPreferences dictionary
(https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf#page=373)?

For example, "\setupinteractionscreen[range={2, 4-7, 10}]" should add
the "/PrintPageRange [1 1 3 6 9 9]" in /ViewerPreferences. (BTW, the key
name is the first one that came to my mind.)

This is extremely useful to help the user to print only the required
pages and not the whole document (which may be required only for viewing
purposes).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--