I reported this some days ago, but it was a rather short report, which might explain why nobody has reacted upon it yet. So this time I'll go into greater detail: The grid system in columnsets works very well until the moment you include a multiline equation somewhere. This causes the entire rest of the page to be out of alignment with the grid. Try running this code with MkIV: \setuplayout [grid=yes] \setupindenting[yes,medium] \definecolumnset[example][n=2] \setupformulas[indentnext=auto] \starttext \showgrid \startcolumnset[example] \input knuth \input knuth \input knuth \startformula \startmathalignment \NC x^2 + y^2 \NC = z^2\NR[+] \NC u^2 + v^2 \NC = w^2\NR[+] \stopmathalignment \stopformula \input knuth \input knuth \input knuth \stopcolumnset \stoptext A picture of the result can be found in this question on TeX.SE .