* Negative width vrule ignored in LuaMETATeX
@ 2020-04-24 14:42 SAO Ocean
From: SAO Ocean @ 2020-04-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

As I'm beginning to use ConTeXt LMTX, I experimented with it a little and
noticed some of my old documents different. After some examination I found the
following example:

\starttext
a\vrule width -5pt height 0pt depth 0pt b
\stoptext

In LMTX, the result looks as if there is no `\vrule' between `a' and `b'. And if
I run with `context --engine=luatex', the expected result is back. I have
checked the luametatex manual but it doesn't seem to mention the difference. My
luametatex version is

mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luametatex version: 2.0502,
functionality level: 20200413, format id: 493, compiler: clang.

Is the behaviour expected? Or shall I use other method to get non-discardable
negative space?

Ao Shen

* Re: Negative width vrule ignored in LuaMETATeX
@ 2020-04-24 14:48 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-04-24 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

SAO Ocean schrieb am 24.04.2020 um 16:42:
> Hi,
>
> As I'm beginning to use ConTeXt LMTX, I experimented with it a little and
> noticed some of my old documents different. After some examination I found the
> following example:
>
> \starttext
> a\vrule width -5pt height 0pt depth 0pt b
> \stoptext
>
> In LMTX, the result looks as if there is no `\vrule' between `a' and `b'. And if
> I run with `context --engine=luatex', the expected result is back. I have
> checked the luametatex manual but it doesn't seem to mention the difference. My
> luametatex version is
>
> mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luametatex version: 2.0502,
> functionality level: 20200413, format id: 493, compiler: clang.
>
> Is the behaviour expected? Or shall I use other method to get non-discardable
> negative space?

\starttext
a\kern-5pt\relax b
\stoptext

or

\starttext
a\nobreak\hskip-5pt\relax b
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Negative width vrule ignored in LuaMETATeX
@ 2020-04-24 15:37 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <CAOyvy4=YxV-1Nh4Ot78Kym8EY8dQYio71qRu2h3=Xyj3jTMcBg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-04-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/24/2020 4:42 PM, SAO Ocean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I'm beginning to use ConTeXt LMTX, I experimented with it a little and
> noticed some of my old documents different. After some examination I found the
> following example:
>
> \starttext
> a\vrule width -5pt height 0pt depth 0pt b
> \stoptext
>
> In LMTX, the result looks as if there is no `\vrule' between `a' and `b'. And if
> I run with `context --engine=luatex', the expected result is back. I have
> checked the luametatex manual but it doesn't seem to mention the difference. My
> luametatex version is
>
> mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luametatex version: 2.0502,
> functionality level: 20200413, format id: 493, compiler: clang.
>
> Is the behaviour expected? Or shall I use other method to get non-discardable
> negative space?

no, but i must admit that it's kind of a border case ... i'll fix it but
also wonder if *no* visual rule showing up is intended (i would then
also expect an engine to show a rule .. could be an interesting new
(luametatex) option as it saves kerns in some cases)

see Wolfgangs mail for a better solution using kerns

Hans

@ 2020-04-24 18:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-04-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/24/2020 7:44 PM, Ao Shen wrote:
> Thanks for your timely reply!
>
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> 于2020年4月24日周五 下午11:38写道:
>>
>> no, but i must admit that it's kind of a border case ... i'll fix it but
>> also wonder if *no* visual rule showing up is intended (i would then
>> also expect an engine to show a rule .. could be an interesting new
>> (luametatex) option as it saves kerns in some cases)
>
> My use cases of negative vrule is a little tricky. I'm trying to comply with
> W3C's [Requirements for Japanese Text Layout](https://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/).
> It states that
>
>    In principle, closing brackets (cl-02), commas (cl-07) or full stops (cl-06)
>    at the line end have a half em space after them (see Fig. 3.20). This half em
>    space can be deleted for line adjustment. However, the possibilities are only
>    half em space or solid. Other spaces, such as a quarter em space should not be
>    used.
>
> The tricky part is that I also want the opening fullwidth bracket at the
> beginning of the line to be solid, i.e., without half em sidebearing on the left
> to make the left margin visually more aligned (this is one but not the only way
> of line begining handling shown in jlreq).
>
> To achieve this, in the scripts handler I use the following injector between
> 'full_width_close' and 'full_width_open':
>
> \hskip -0.5em \penalty 100 \hskip 0.5em minus 0.5em \vrule width
> -0.5em height 0pt
> ^^^(a)        ^^^(b)
>
> If line is broken here, the only broken points are (a) before the glue or (b) at
> the penalty point. With the vrule the sidebearing of the opening bracket at
> beginning of next line is eliminated.
>
> In this particular case, a kern is not applicable because it won't survive the
> line break. And here a vrule showing nothing is intended.
How about something ...

\startluacode

local classes = fonts.protrusions.classes
local vectors = fonts.protrusions.vectors

classes.myown = {
     vector = 'myown',
     factor = 1,
}

vectors.myown = table.merged (vectors.quality, {

     [0x0028] = { 1, 0 }, -- (
     [0x0029] = { 0, 1 }, -- )

})

\stopluacode

\starttext

\showframe

\definefontfeature[whatever][default][protrusion=myown]

\definedfont[Serif*whatever] \setupalign[hanging]

\dorecurse{100}{(#1) }

\stoptext

of course you need to define the cjk fences etc.

Hans