* ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19  8:47 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I another thread I talked about my problems with converting my ConTeXt file
to an editable format. In principal going the xhtml way seemed best.

But yesterday I got talking with someone in the train. He told me that it
was possible to convert ConTeXt to LaTeXt and LaTeXt to an ODT file. This
could solve my problem. Was this person correct? If yes, how would I do
this?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19  8:51 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2011-07-19  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>:
> was possible to convert ConTeXt to LaTeXt and LaTeXt to an ODT file. This

LaTeX -> ODT: tex4ht

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19  9:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2011 10:47, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I another thread I talked about my problems with converting my ConTeXt file
> to an editable format. In principal going the xhtml way seemed best.
>
> But yesterday I got talking with someone in the train. He told me that it
> was possible to convert ConTeXt to LaTeXt and LaTeXt to an ODT file. This
> could solve my problem. Was this person correct? If yes, how would I do
> this?

"context -> latex" sounds like a no-go to me

At some point if could be interesting to see if we could go from the
context xml export (structure makeup) to odt (office makeup) but it's
not something that I'll do for fun (I have no need for it anyway).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19  9:41   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 19-7-2011 10:47, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> I another thread I talked about my problems with converting my ConTeXt
>> file
>> to an editable format. In principal going the xhtml way seemed best.
>>
>> But yesterday I got talking with someone in the train. He told me that it
>> was possible to convert ConTeXt to LaTeXt and LaTeXt to an ODT file. This
>> could solve my problem. Was this person correct? If yes, how would I do
>> this?
>>

> "context -> latex" sounds like a no-go to me

Okay, I'll discard this option then. (Or someone else must have a way to do
the ConTeXt -> LaTeXt part.)

At some point if could be interesting to see if we could go from the context
> xml export (structure makeup) to odt (office makeup) but it's not something
> that I'll do for fun (I have no need for it anyway).

If I could help in a way …

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:15     ` Mojca Miklavec
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-07-19 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Okay, I'll discard this option then. (Or someone else must have a way to do
> the ConTeXt -> LaTeXt part.)

Keep in mind that ConTeXt -> ODT should in theory be doable as well,
but the author of tex4ht died and it is very unlikely that the
conversion would work without any problems and even more unlikely that
anyone would know how to fix it.

If you can throw away any formatting you did and if you didn't use too
many ConTeXt specific tricks, you can "simply rewrite" your code to
LaTeX with a few regular expressions etc. But in the same spirit it
might be way easier to just "convert" the document straight to ODT
using copy-paste and applying some formatting there.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:24       ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2011-07-19 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> If you can throw away any formatting you did and if you didn't use too
> many ConTeXt specific tricks, you can "simply rewrite" your code to
> LaTeX with a few regular expressions etc. But in the same spirit it
> might be way easier to just "convert" the document straight to ODT
> using copy-paste and applying some formatting there.

Or, if you know up front that you need multiple output formats,
you could use Markdown/Pandoc etc. and let it generate ConTeXt
as needed.

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:35         ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de>

> 2011/7/19 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> > If you can throw away any formatting you did and if you didn't use too
> > many ConTeXt specific tricks, you can "simply rewrite" your code to
> > LaTeX with a few regular expressions etc. But in the same spirit it
> > might be way easier to just "convert" the document straight to ODT
> > using copy-paste and applying some formatting there.
>
> Or, if you know up front that you need multiple output formats,
> you could use Markdown/Pandoc etc. and let it generate ConTeXt
> as needed.

I did not know. They where happy with PDF's all the time, but when the
project was almost finished, they changed the requirements. But maybe good
to keep in mind for the next project.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2011 12:15, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I'll discard this option then. (Or someone else must have a way to do
>> the ConTeXt ->  LaTeXt part.)
>
> Keep in mind that ConTeXt ->  ODT should in theory be doable as well,
> but the author of tex4ht died and it is very unlikely that the
> conversion would work without any problems and even more unlikely that
> anyone would know how to fix it.
>
> If you can throw away any formatting you did and if you didn't use too
> many ConTeXt specific tricks, you can "simply rewrite" your code to
> LaTeX with a few regular expressions etc. But in the same spirit it
> might be way easier to just "convert" the document straight to ODT
> using copy-paste and applying some formatting there.

It also depends on the requirement.

Of a document only has some sectioning, itemize, and tables (and the
majority of the document have) then some simple convertable input format
can do. For more complex documents you end up with either coding in tex
or when multiple output is needed xml is a good choice. When coding in
tex, the xml/xhtml can be of help (and it will evolve) as it provides a
pretty complete structure of the document.

Concerning OTD: if you need to be roundtrip, then you also need to be
able to convert back, which might be non trivial.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:50         ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> Concerning OTD: if you need to be roundtrip, then you also need to be able
> to convert back, which might be non trivial.

Roundtrip is not necessary I think (in this case). As I understand it: after
delivery we do not have to change the document anymore. And if we have, well
we just use Open Office. (Or Libre.)

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 10:58           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-07-19 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:50, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> As I understand it: after
> delivery we do not have to change the document anymore. And if we have, well
> we just use Open Office. (Or Libre.)

I wonder why someone would want to hire third-party to create them a
document in OpenOffice if they:
- know how to use OpenOffice
- don't need proffessional typography
- have to provide input/text in some form anyway

What was their input? Was it a database at least?

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 11:14             ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-19 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/19 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>

> > As I understand it: after
> > delivery we do not have to change the document anymore. And if we have,
> well
> > we just use Open Office. (Or Libre.)
>
> I wonder why someone would want to hire third-party to create them a
> document in OpenOffice if they:
> - know how to use OpenOffice
> - don't need proffessional typography
> - have to provide input/text in some form anyway
>
> What was their input? Was it a database at least?

They use a program that is been made by the company I am working for. It was
used for ten years, but never documented. First it was they wanted
documentation because they did not want to be lost if our company stops
working on the application. Now they want to further develop the application
themselves.(They have the rights on the sources.) And then it is handy that
you can change the documentation. ;-}

It was quite a learning experience altogether.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 12:58       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-07-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:15:46PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I'll discard this option then. (Or someone else must have a way to do
> > the ConTeXt -> LaTeXt part.)
>
> Keep in mind that ConTeXt -> ODT should in theory be doable as well,
> but the author of tex4ht died and it is very unlikely that the
> conversion would work without any problems and even more unlikely that
> anyone would know how to fix it.

ODT is just another XML format, so it shouldn't be hard to do with the
current export code (and IIRC they have even a "flat xml" ODT that gets
the whole document in one xml file instead of the common multi-file in a
zip archive format).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: ConTeXt -> LaTeXt -> ODT?
@ 2011-07-19 13:06         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2011 2:58, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:15:46PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, I'll discard this option then. (Or someone else must have a way to do
>>> the ConTeXt ->  LaTeXt part.)
>>
>> Keep in mind that ConTeXt ->  ODT should in theory be doable as well,
>> but the author of tex4ht died and it is very unlikely that the
>> conversion would work without any problems and even more unlikely that
>> anyone would know how to fix it.
>
> ODT is just another XML format, so it shouldn't be hard to do with the
> current export code (and IIRC they have even a "flat xml" ODT that gets
> the whole document in one xml file instead of the common multi-file in a
> zip archive format).

So then it's mostly a matter of someone writing an xslt script.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE