* ConTeXt Meeting 2018 – registration
@ 2018-05-03 13:08 Jano Kula
From: Jano Kula @ 2018-05-03 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list members,

registration for 12th ConTeXt Meeting 2018
<http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2018/>, September 2–8 is now open. Early
bird payments are available till the end of June. New participants are
always welcome: for those who never visited the meeting and students
discounts are available.

The main theme for this meeting is *Unusual usage of ConTeXt*. Check
preliminary
abstracts <http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2018/abstracts.shtml>, fees
<http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2018/fee.shtml> and don't forget to
register <http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2018/register.shtml> before July
1, 2018.

Join the the friendly informal meeting of people who use and misuse ConTeXt
with passion!

Jano
on behalf of the ConTeXt Group board

* Re:  "unusual usage" (was: ConTeXt Meeting 2018 – registration)
@ 2018-05-03 13:34 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-05-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-05-03 um 15:08 schrieb Jano Kula <jano.kula@gmail.com>:

> The main theme for this meeting is Unusual usage of ConTeXt.

What’s *your* unusual use?

I create books, songbooklets, forms, a magazine, my invoices and business letters with ConTeXt and don’t think that’s unusual...

But all the time I run into things that I can’t accomplish on my own, so maybe my use of ConTeXt *is* unusual?

Recently I got solutions for margin notes as I need for "my" German literature/linguistics magazine "Kritische Ausgabe". (There are some edge cases where the mechanism doesn’t work, but I found workarounds.)

At the last meeting some of you helped me a lot with image placement (bleeding floats etc.), so I have now a good foundation for the books I publish, e.g. our series of architectural guide booklets. But there are still some options open to desire (e.g. I never got a reliable placement on the text baseline).

While I like to show off my works, I don’t think my code is good enough for a presentation...

BTW I would love to publish a book about (the making of) historical-critical editions, as far as I found there’s (in German) only one very old one. I enjoyed some interesting presentations about such projects with LaTeX and ConTeXt, but lack the expertise myself. In case you would be interested – our publishing house Dreiviertelhaus would be interested...

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net