* inter-word spacing
@ 2020-10-20 14:12 Jano Kula
From: Jano Kula @ 2020-10-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

trying to reproduce the hand-printed original as close as possible I'm
using \setupcharacterkerning. I can match character kerning, but inter-word
spaces are different. What is the right option, command or feature to
change it for current font and/or in the font definition? I haven't found
any.

MWE
% macros=mkiv
\setupcharacterkerning[large][factor=0.1]
\setcharacterkerning[large]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Thank you,
Jano

* Re: inter-word spacing
@ 2020-10-22  9:48 ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-10-22  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jano,

Seems to me that there are a few options and you might need more than
one of them, depending on the font/typefaces you are using (which
obviously influences things):

1. One factor will be whether you are using \definefontfeature
[default][default]  [expansion=quality,protrusion=quality], which you
obviously then need to call in with \setupalign.
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupalign

2. Another factor will be \setupspacing
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupspacing

3. A third factor might be the need to tweak things a bit once you take
a look at what is produced, and where you might need to use a couple of
other options, be it \, \nospace, \thinspace....

For example, I have found that for a particular project I am working on
at the moment, my best setup does not include protrusion, but I use

\setupalign
[hz,nothyphenated,verytolerant,stretched], and

\setuplanguage[en][spacing=packed].

This latter especially because I want to avoid some rather ugly spaces
after a period. Then once I see how things look, I apply
{\kerncharacters[-0.025] my text} in particular instances where things
need to be tidied up. I have found that -0.025 works well in my situation.

Not at all sure if all the above is what the purists would do, but from
a practical point of view it works for me. Hope it helps.

Julian

On 21/10/20 1:12 am, Jano Kula wrote:

> Hello,
>
> trying to reproduce the hand-printed original as close as possible I'm
> using \setupcharacterkerning. I can match character kerning, but
> inter-word spaces are different. What is the right option, command or
> feature to change it for current font and/or in the font definition? I
> haven't found any.
>
> MWE
> % macros=mkiv
> \setupcharacterkerning[large][factor=0.1]
> \setcharacterkerning[large]
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext