From: "Hans Åberg via ntg-context" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Cc: "Hans Åberg" <haberg-1@telia.com>,
Subject: Re: Error: attempt to index a nil value
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:13:19 +0200	[thread overview]

> On 13 Oct 2021, at 22:28, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 10/13/2021 7:02 PM, Hans Åberg wrote:

>>> I have no clue ..
>> I made this as experiment to make a texinfo file along with a manual generating a PDF to display math properly, which the Info format cannot do.
>
> I'm not familiar with texinfo but in the context distribution are some luatex-* files that show how to load the generic context font loader (in plain tex). One can make a format with:
>
>  mtxrun --script plain --make
>
> an dprocess a plain file with:
>
>  mtxrun --script plain foo.tex
>
> I suppose that texinfo is close to plain so doable too.
>
>> However, it has been decided that the Info format should be extended with HTML, probably HTML5 then. So one might generate that directly with ConTeXt. —This was the reason for the other post.
> ok

I first made a texinfo file, and then translated it into a context file, and it turns out that the latter much simpler to create indexes and such: in the texinfo format, one has to keep track of them in various parts because of TeX's limited ability to do such things. In addition, GNU has policy of enforcing original TeX with limited Unicode support, making it suitable for simpler types of manuals only. There is no requirement to use this format or produce 'info' documentation, but it would be nice to produce an HTML. Personally, I prefer the PDF format.