* problems with bib
@ 2011-02-28 14:37 Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-02-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

until now I used the bib module for my bibliography in a rather large
document in MkIV by calling \usemodule[bib].

Today I updated to version 2011.02.25 22:03 and the document does no
longer compile. I removed the above line from my document and it ran
again, but the "References" section was empty and I got "[[error 1]]"
everywhere I used \cite. So I changed \completepublications to
\completepublications[criterium=all]. Now I have the complete list of
references (I know, I asked for it) but instead I only want to have
those references in the list that I cited in the document.

Some questions:
(1) Is the bib module obsolete? If so, can someone provide me with a
small example how to properly make bibliographies now, preferably from a
.bib-file?

(2) If this is not already answered by the first question: How do I get
the references list to display only the cited entries from my
bibliography, "[criterium=?]"?

(3) What do I have to do to let context find the sample.bib database? I
get "I couldn't open database file sample.bib.bib" or "I couldn't open
database file sample.bib" in the output depending on whether I added
".bib" or not.

My current setup is this:
%\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex[database={mybibdatabase.bib}]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]
\setupcite[num][lastpubsep={, }]
\setupcite[author][left=, right=]
\completepublications[criterium=all]

Any help appreciated,
Stefan

* Re: problems with bib
@ 2011-02-28 16:41 ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-28 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had the same problem a few months back (the bibliography includes
all references not only the ones I have cited in my document)

I still have this problem. I think Thomas Schmitz is going to fix
this. Any ideas on when this is going to be fixed? Can I request that
this be fixed soon as it is important for writing papers that need to
be circulated to others.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bharat

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Stefan Müller <warrence.stm@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> until now I used the bib module for my bibliography in a rather large
> document in MkIV by calling \usemodule[bib].
>
> Today I updated to version 2011.02.25 22:03 and the document does no longer
> compile. I removed the above line from my document and it ran again, but the
> "References" section was empty and I got "[[error 1]]" everywhere I used
> \cite. So I changed \completepublications to
> \completepublications[criterium=all]. Now I have the complete list of
> references (I know, I asked for it) but instead I only want to have those
> references in the list that I cited in the document.
>
> Some questions:
> (1) Is the bib module obsolete? If so, can someone provide me with a small
> example how to properly make bibliographies now, preferably from a
> .bib-file?
>
> (2) If this is not already answered by the first question: How do I get the
> references list to display only the cited entries from my bibliography,
> "[criterium=?]"?
>
> (3) What do I have to do to let context find the sample.bib database? I get
> "I couldn't open database file sample.bib.bib" or "I couldn't open database
> file sample.bib" in the output depending on whether I added ".bib" or not.
>
> My current setup is this:
> %\usemodule[bib]
> \setupbibtex[database={mybibdatabase.bib}]
> \setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]
> \setupcite[num][lastpubsep={, }]
> \setupcite[author][left=, right=]
> \completepublications[criterium=all]
>
> Any help appreciated,
> Stefan

* Re: problems with bib
@ 2011-02-28 17:00   ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-02-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:41:02 -0500
  Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same problem a few months back (the
>bibliography includes
> all references not only the ones I have cited in my
>document)
>
> I still have this problem. I think Thomas Schmitz is
>going to fix
> this. Any ideas on when this is going to be fixed? Can I
>request that
> this be fixed soon as it is important for writing papers
>that need to
> be circulated to others.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Bharat

Hi Bharat and all,

1. No, that's not right. I simply collected outstanding
issues, I can't fix them.

2. Hans is working on bib issues as we speak, but he has
only so much time, so no ETA.

3. For the problem described above, try

\usepublications[criterium=text]

Bib support is an extremely complex area, so be aware that
we're still experimenting and things are moving. Having as
many testers as possible with many different requirements
helps a lot finding and identifying errors.

HTH

Thomas

* Re: problems with bib
@ 2011-02-28 18:00     ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2011-02-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Thomas. Using

     \usepublications[criterium=text]

fixed the problem of all citations. However, the names in bibliography
do not appear in alphabetical order. I will look through the thread to
see any solutions to that.

Thanks again. Appreciate your help.

Bharat

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Thomas Schmitz <tschmit1@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:41:02 -0500
>  Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I had the same problem a few months back (the bibliography includes
>> all references not only the ones I have cited in my document)
>>
>> I still have this problem. I think Thomas Schmitz is going to fix
>> this. Any ideas on when this is going to be fixed? Can I request that
>> this be fixed soon as it is important for writing papers that need to
>> be circulated to others.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bharat
>
> Hi Bharat and all,
>
> 1. No, that's not right. I simply collected outstanding issues, I can't fix
> them.
>
> 2. Hans is working on bib issues as we speak, but he has only so much time,
> so no ETA.
>
> 3. For the problem described above, try
>
> \usepublications[criterium=text]
>
> Bib support is an extremely complex area, so be aware that we're still
> experimenting and things are moving. Having as many testers as possible with
> many different requirements helps a lot finding and identifying errors.
>
> HTH
>
> Thomas

* Re: problems with bib
@ 2011-02-28 21:31     ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-02-28 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the fast replies! I really appreciate it.

On 28.02.2011 18:00, Thomas Schmitz wrote:
> 2. Hans is working on bib issues as we speak, but he has only so much
> time, so no ETA.

I'm fine with that. What else could I ask for? ;)

> 3. For the problem described above, try
>
> \usepublications[criterium=text]

I'm not sure where to put this command and how to adapt other commands.
But \completepublications[criterium=text] works for me. So that's okay
with me.

> Bib support is an extremely complex area, so be aware that we're still
> experimenting and things are moving. Having as many testers as possible
> with many different requirements helps a lot finding and identifying
> errors.
>
> HTH

It did, thank you.

Stefan

> Thomas

* Re: problems with bib
@ 2011-03-01 10:04       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-03-01 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Stefan Müller wrote:

>> \usepublications[criterium=text]
>
> I'm not sure where to put this command and how to adapt other commands. But \completepublications[criterium=text] works for me. So that's okay with me.

Yes, sorry, I was typing too fast.

Thomas