* fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-05  9:44 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-05  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

what happened with the option to set font features with more
memorizable names
you mentioned in http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028330.html

It would be nice to write \definefontfeature[mine][smallcaps=yes]
instead
of \definefontfeature[mine][smcp=yes] where you have to know the four
letter
code for the feature.

Wolfgang

* Re: fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-06 21:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> what happened with the option to set font features with more memorizable
> names
> you mentioned in http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028330.html
>
> It would be nice to write \definefontfeature[mine][smallcaps=yes] instead
> of \definefontfeature[mine][smcp=yes] where you have to know the four
> letter
> code for the feature.

as mapping is already kin dof present, if you add

for k, v in pairs(to_features) do
     to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
     k = lower(k)
     to_features[k] = v
     to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
end

to font-ott.lua then you can say:

\starttext

% \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smcp=yes,script=latn]
% \definefontfeature[smallcaps][SmallCapitals=yes,script=latn]
% \definefontfeature[smallcaps][Small Capitals=yes,script=latn]
% \definefontfeature[smallcaps][small capitals=yes,script=latn]
\definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcapitals=yes,script=latn]

\definedfont[cambria*smallcaps] test

\stoptext

of course you need to memorize the huge feature name table

if needed we can add some extra common entries, like smallcaps and
oldstyle but someone needs to collect them

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-07  8:43   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-07  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.08.2009 um 23:17 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>

>> what happened with the option to set font features with more
>> memorizable names
>> you mentioned in http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028330.html
>> It would be nice to write \definefontfeature[mine][smallcaps=yes]
>> instead
>> of \definefontfeature[mine][smcp=yes] where you have to know the
>> four letter
>> code for the feature.
>
> as mapping is already kin dof present, if you add
>
> for k, v in pairs(to_features) do
>    to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
>    k = lower(k)
>    to_features[k] = v
>    to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
> end
>
> to font-ott.lua then you can say:
>
> \starttext

We should restrict this to one alternative (besides smcp=yes) and
the last variant seems to me like the context way (lowercase keys
without spaces in it).

> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smcp=yes,script=latn]
> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][SmallCapitals=yes,script=latn]
> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][Small Capitals=yes,script=latn]
> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][small capitals=yes,script=latn]
> \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcapitals=yes,script=latn]
>
> \definedfont[cambria*smallcaps] test
>
> \stoptext
>
> of course you need to memorize the huge feature name table

Why, you can make a table where there normal feature name (Uppercase
with spaces)
is listed together with the normalized form (lowercase, no spaces) and
the four
letter form.

> if needed we can add some extra common entries, like smallcaps and
> oldstyle but someone needs to collect them

Sure, the wiki is a good place for this.

Wolfgang

* Re: fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-07  9:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 06.08.2009 um 23:17 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>>

>>> what happened with the option to set font features with more
>>> memorizable names
>>> you mentioned in
>>> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/028330.html
>>> It would be nice to write \definefontfeature[mine][smallcaps=yes]
>>> instead
>>> of \definefontfeature[mine][smcp=yes] where you have to know the four
>>> letter
>>> code for the feature.
>>
>> as mapping is already kin dof present, if you add
>>
>> for k, v in pairs(to_features) do
>>    to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
>>    k = lower(k)
>>    to_features[k] = v
>>    to_features[gsub(k," ","")] = v
>> end
>>
>> to font-ott.lua then you can say:
>>
>> \starttext
>
> We should restrict this to one alternative (besides smcp=yes) and
> the last variant seems to me like the context way (lowercase keys
> without spaces in it).
>
>> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smcp=yes,script=latn]
>> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][SmallCapitals=yes,script=latn]
>> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][Small Capitals=yes,script=latn]
>> % \definefontfeature[smallcaps][small capitals=yes,script=latn]
>> \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcapitals=yes,script=latn]
>>
>> \definedfont[cambria*smallcaps] test
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> of course you need to memorize the huge feature name table
>
> Why, you can make a table where there normal feature name (Uppercase
> with spaces)
> is listed together with the normalized form (lowercase, no spaces) and
> the four
> letter form.

well, your asked for smallcaps and got smallcapitals and remembering the
  (sometimes long verbose names is no fun either)

we might even want to strip everything except a-z0-9

Terminal Forms #2
Above-Base Substitutions

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-07  9:28       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.08.2009 um 11:10 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> Why, you can make a table where there normal feature name
>> (Uppercase with spaces)
>> is listed together with the normalized form (lowercase, no spaces)
>> and the four
>> letter form.
>
> well, your asked for smallcaps and got smallcapitals and remembering
> the (sometimes long verbose names is no fun either)
>
> we might even want to strip everything except a-z0-9
>
> Terminal Forms #2
> Above-Base Substitutions

I know, I did this already in the last version of my simplefonts
module where I played
with this to enable certain features which are not part of the
standard fontfeatures.

Example: \setmainfont[Delicious][oldstylefigures=yes]

What have to be removed are: spaces, number sign, hyphen, slash

Wolfgang

* Re: fontfeatures
@ 2009-08-07 10:05         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 07.08.2009 um 11:10 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> Why, you can make a table where there normal feature name (Uppercase
>>> with spaces)
>>> is listed together with the normalized form (lowercase, no spaces)
>>> and the four
>>> letter form.
>>
>> well, your asked for smallcaps and got smallcapitals and remembering
>> the (sometimes long verbose names is no fun either)
>>
>> we might even want to strip everything except a-z0-9
>>
>> Terminal Forms #2
>> Above-Base Substitutions
>

> I know, I did this already in the last version of my simplefonts module
> where I played
> with this to enable certain features which are not part of the standard
> fontfeatures.
>
> Example: \setmainfont[Delicious][oldstylefigures=yes]
>
> What have to be removed are: spaces, number sign, hyphen, slash

better is to keep, as in:

for k, v in pairs(to_features) do
     local stripped = gsub(k,"%-"," ")
     to_features[stripped] = v
     local stripped = gsub(k,"[^a-zA-Z0-9]","")
     to_features[stripped] = v
end
for k, v in pairs(to_features) do
     to_features[lower(k)] = v
end

(btw, i uploaded a beta with some of last weeks fixes)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE