* Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11  1:02 Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-11  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

is the following possible?

List of figures
1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2

<page break>
*imagine figure here
Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of figures.

I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I produce using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no ellipsis or the like).
I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to apply only to chapter, section etc. titles.

Cheers
Christian

* Re: Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11  1:22 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-11-11  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri 11 Nov 2011, Christian wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> is the following possible?
>
> List of figures
> 1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2
>
> <page break>
> *imagine figure here
> Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of figures.
>
> I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I
> produce using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no
> ellipsis or the like). I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to
> apply only to chapter, section etc. titles.

This is indeed possible, using \select; see
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060501.171706.24b88466.en.html .

Example usage:

\defineselector[caption][max=2,n=2]
\starttext
\setupselector[caption][n=1]
\completelistoffigures
\setupselector[caption][n=2]
\placefigure[][]
 {\select{caption}
  {A short caption}
  {A rather longer caption which will appear below the figure itself}}
  {This is the content of the actual figure}
\stoptext

Pont

* Re: Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11  1:32   ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-11  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Dear all,
> >
> > is the following possible?
> >
> > List of figures
> > 1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2
> >
> > <page break>
> > *imagine figure here
> > Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of figures.
> >
> > I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I produce
> > using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no ellipsis or the
> > like). I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to apply only to
> > chapter, section etc. titles.
>
> This is indeed possible, using \select; see
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060501.171706.24b88466.en.h
> tml .
>
> Example usage:
>
> \defineselector[caption][max=2,n=2]
> \starttext
> \setupselector[caption][n=1]
> \completelistoffigures
> \setupselector[caption][n=2]
> \placefigure[][]
>  {\select{caption}
>   {A short caption}
>   {A rather longer caption which will appear below the figure itself}}
>   {This is the content of the actual figure} \stoptext
>
> Pont

The possibilities of Context continue to amaze me...

Thank you very much, Pont!

* Re: Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11  5:18   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-11  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.11.2011 um 02:22 schrieb Pontus Lurcock:

> On Fri 11 Nov 2011, Christian wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> is the following possible?
>>
>> List of figures
>> 1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2
>>
>> <page break>
>> *imagine figure here
>> Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of figures.
>>
>> I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I
>> produce using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no
>> ellipsis or the like). I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to
>> apply only to chapter, section etc. titles.
>
> This is indeed possible, using \select; see
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060501.171706.24b88466.en.html .
>
> Example usage:
>
> \defineselector[caption][max=2,n=2]
> \starttext
> \setupselector[caption][n=1]
> \completelistoffigures
> \setupselector[caption][n=2]
> \placefigure[][]
> {\select{caption}
>  {A short caption}
>  {A rather longer caption which will appear below the figure itself}}
>  {This is the content of the actual figure}
> \stoptext

WIth the current beta you can write:

\startplacefigure[title={A rather long caption …},list={A short caption}]
\externalfigure[…]
\stopplacefigure

Wolfgang

* Re: Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11 13:35     ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> is the following possible?
> >>
> >> List of figures
> >> 1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2
> >>
> >> <page break>
> >> *imagine figure here
> >> Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of
> figures.
> >>
> >> I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I
> >> produce using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no
> >> ellipsis or the like). I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to
> >> apply only to chapter, section etc. titles.
> >
> > This is indeed possible, using \select; see
> >
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060501.171706.24b88466.en.h
> tml .
> >
> > Example usage:
> >
> > \defineselector[caption][max=2,n=2]
> > \starttext
> > \setupselector[caption][n=1]
> > \completelistoffigures
> > \setupselector[caption][n=2]
> > \placefigure[][]
> > {\select{caption}
> >  {A short caption}
> >  {A rather longer caption which will appear below the figure itself}}
> > {This is the content of the actual figure} \stoptext
>
> WIth the current beta you can write:
>
> \startplacefigure[title={A rather long caption …},list={A short caption}]
> \externalfigure[…] \stopplacefigure

Wow, that is even better! I updated to latest beta because of this and it works like a charm:)

P.S: Now I'also getting the 1.7MB pdf when including the png-file, like mentioned in the thread "terrible png placement". (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.11.09 20:58 MKIV, LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011110321 (rev 4277), Win32)
But I don't have png's in my work file, so that's no biggie.

* Re: Omit part of a caption in a list
@ 2011-11-11 21:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-11 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-11-2011 14:35, Christian wrote:

> P.S: Now I'also getting the 1.7MB pdf when including the png-file, like mentioned in the thread "terrible png placement". (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.11.09 20:58 MKIV, LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011110321 (rev 4277), Win32)
> But I don't have png's in my work file, so that's no biggie.

strange, there's a \nopdfcompression in context.mkiv ... probably a left
over from a test .. just remove that line and remake the format

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE