From: Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: die if a module is missing
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:38:42 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 12.03.2009 um 16:20 schrieb John Devereux:

> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> While we are on the subject, is it possible to make it "die" when
>>> incorrect (non-existent) options are passed to a context command? Is
>>> there any way at all of knowing if the option did anything (even by
>>> examining the log?)
>>
>> No, this is not possible and even such a feature would increase
>> the compile time a lot, e.g. I used list with valid names in a
>> earlier
>> version of my letter module and it was 30% slower than the current
>> version and now imagine what happens if you check each key in a
>> assignment list.
>
> OK. It seems strange (coming from a programming background).
>
> If it is only the compile time, then a command line switch might be an
> option. (But it sounds like it is inherently hard to do, now).

Yes, something like \traceassignments is possible but you need table
with all valid values (makes only sense in MkIV) and even then a lot
of thing had to be checked. Take as example \localframed (the internal
command for \framed etc.), you could store all of it valid keys in
a table and check against them but what should happen with high level
commands like \externalfigure which use \localframed but use itself
only a subset of the keys, do you want to generate a error message for
the ignored keys (which are valid \localframed keys) or make a
exception.

Another thing are values for the keys, \setuplayerframed is a
combination
of \setlayer and \framed and you can set the same values for both with

   \setlayerframed[...][offset=...]

or different values for each part with

   \setlayerframed[...][offset=...][offset=...]

but in the first case not all values are accepted, e.g. 'offset=none'
causes a error message for \setlayer but is a legal setting for \framed.

Wolfgang