* LMTX: some alignment issues
@ 2021-07-23 12:59 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2021-07-23 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

[still working to somewhat reproduce my old mkii setup in LMTX]

The following is a minimal example that shows the following:
context test2.tex results in
The first line after the initials not as much indented as it should be
Character protrusion in a footnote does not work (see “refer-“ at the end of the 5th line of the footnote) (I understand the trouble on the first line
context --mode=OPTIMA test2.tex results in
The first line after the initials not as much indented as it should be
"because” is not hyphenated. Note, I see this is a smaller font setup where there is clearly an option to hyphenate, the minimum example shows the same effect, but potentially not from the same cause)
Character protrusion in a footnote does not work
context --mode=OPTIMANOVA test2.tex results in
The first line after the initials not as much indented as it should be
Multiple instances of extending beyond the right
Character protrusion in a footnote does not work
Adding \setupalign[hanging,hz] to the Optima Nova example results in ‘because’ on the first line to be hyphenated as ‘be-cause’ and pigeonhole in a later line as 'pi-geonhole'.

I am adding a screen shot of part of the Optima Nova result as most will not have that font available:

- All show no protrusion in the footnotes
- All show a problem with the first line after the initial
- When using Optima Nova, hyphenation isn’t used while the situation in Optima looks nearly identical.

MVP source:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\definepapersize[smallpaperback][width=5in,height=8in]
\setuppapersize[smallpaperback][smallpaperback]
\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
\setupsectionblock[frontpart][page=no]
\setupsectionblock[bodypart][page=no]
\setupsectionblock[appendix][page=no]
\setupsectionblock[backpart][page=no]

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  [protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[default,11pt]
\startmode[OPTIMANOVA]
	\definefontfamily
		[bookfont]
		[ss]
		[Optima nova LT Pro]
		[tf=style:Regular,
		bf=style:Medium,
		it=style:Italic,
		bi=style:Medium Italic]
	\setupbodyfont[bookfont,11pt]
\stopmode
\startmode[OPTIMA]
	\definefontfamily
		[bookfont]
		[ss]
		[Optima]
		[tf=style:Regular,
		bf=style:Bold,
		it=style:Italic,
		bi=style:Bold Italic]
	\setupbodyfont[bookfont,11pt]
\stopmode
\setupalign[hanging] % only protrusion

\showframe

\starttext
\setupindenting[next]
\placeinitial \input tufte

Test footnote\footnote{If you are not technical and terms like
`application server',
`caught exceptions', or `web proxy' in the fragment that follows, do not
immediately get you started, do not worry: there is no need to know what
I am
talking about here in a technical sense. You can read this without
understanding any of the technical references. Just skip over them, their
specifics are not important to the story. They are real enough, though.  You
can trust me on that, or ask your engineers.}
\stoptext

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>