* synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-17 13:19 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2017-11-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the latest betas, I see that with the TeXShop Engine

#!/bin/tcsh

# Before using this engine, you must run the following command once in
Terminal: luatools --generate

set path= ($path /usr/texbin
/Users/bowen1/Dropbox/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin)
mtxrun --script context --autogenerate --file-line-error "$1”

and
\setupsynctex[state=start, method=max]
in the source file, the requisite *filename*.synctex auxiliary file is
produced on processing.

But I am still not getting any linkage between the source file and the
preview file, that is, clicking on one does not have any effect on the
other. Is there something else that I need?

I am running ConTeXt  ver: 2017.11.15 with macOS 10.13.1.

Alan

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-17 13:27 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-11-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

A few weeks ago Steffen Wolfrum and myself reported the issue to Richard Koch who did some research and discovered the origin of the problem. He has written again the part of the code related to synctex and ConTeXt and will issue a new version where the problem is fixed.

In the meanwhile you can use a previous version of TeXShop (I use version 77 and I can send you a Dropbox link to download it, of you wish) where the syncing between the PDF result and the ConTeXt source works fine.

Best regards: OK

> On 17 Nov 2017, at 14:19, Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With the latest betas, I see that with the TeXShop Engine
>
> #!/bin/tcsh
>
> # Before using this engine, you must run the following command once in Terminal: luatools --generate
>
> set path= ($path /usr/texbin /Users/bowen1/Dropbox/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin)
> mtxrun --script context --autogenerate --file-line-error "$1”
>
> and
> \setupsynctex[state=start, method=max]
> in the source file, the requisite filename.synctex auxiliary file is produced on processing.
>
> But I am still not getting any linkage between the source file and the preview file, that is, clicking on one does not have any effect on the other. Is there something else that I need?
>
> I am running ConTeXt  ver: 2017.11.15 with macOS 10.13.1.
>
> Alan

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-17 13:31   ` luigi scarso
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: luigi scarso @ 2017-11-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html

--
luigi

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-17 13:50     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2017-11-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared, Luigi—many thanks for your help. I read the changes file—I
neglected to do this when I downloaded TeXShop 3.89— and have added the
line
% !TEX useOldSyncParser
into my source file.  Synctex is now working as it should (with the latest
ConTeXt and TeXShop).

All best, Alan

@ 2017-11-17 14:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-11-17 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/17/2017 2:31 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> A few weeks ago Steffen Wolfrum and myself reported the issue to Richard
>> Koch who did some research and discovered the origin of the problem. He has
>> written again the part of the code related to synctex and ConTeXt and will
>> issue a new version where the problem is fixed.
>>
>> In the meanwhile you can use a previous version of TeXShop (I use version 77
>> and I can send you a Dropbox link to download it, of you wish) where the
>> syncing between the PDF result and the ConTeXt source works fine.
>>
>> Best regards: OK
>>

> http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html
it's not clear to me why a newer parser lib would fail on an older
synctex format (whatever the change is) .. sumatra pdf works (last
updates ayear ago) works ok

Hans

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-17 20:59     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-11-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Luigi for the link, but unfortunately the version 3.89 of TeXShop does not work for me (even with the magic line
	%!TEX useOldSyncParser
put at the begining of the source file), while version 3.77 does the sync stuff as expected, even by opening an \input source file.

I have put here

	https://www.dropbox.com/sh/68gfmzci1g67y5d/AABxdQ9sZsCiR9k6se_4zX0ga?dl=0

example files which can be tested with various versions of TeXShop. I don’t have versions between 3.78 and 3.87, but my experience shows that the syncing works between the resulting PDF file of a source file typeset with ConTeXt version 2017.11.15 22:08 and TeXShop version 3.77, while the syncing does not work with versions 3.88 and 3.89.

Best regards: OK

@ 2017-11-21 12:18       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-11-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:13:56 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> it's not clear to me why a newer parser lib would fail on an older
> synctex format (whatever the change is) .. sumatra pdf works (last
> updates ayear ago) works ok

synctex fails with lualatex on windows too. And it fails with with
the luatex version 1.06 (which is now in miktex) but not with 1.04
(texlive).

I compared the synctex files of both and the problem is that the
link to the main tex file is missing at the start.

The synctex files refers to a lot positions in input 0 but the file
list starts with

Input:1:D:/MiKTeX2.9/tex/latex/base/article.cls

I added before this line

Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex

and then synchronization worked again. Imho this is a luatex bug.

(the texlive synctex starts with number 1 and not 0
 Input:1:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-21 13:15         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-11-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2017 1:18 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:13:56 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> it's not clear to me why a newer parser lib would fail on an older
>> synctex format (whatever the change is) .. sumatra pdf works (last
>> updates ayear ago) works ok
>
> synctex fails with lualatex on windows too. And it fails with with
> the luatex version 1.06 (which is now in miktex) but not with 1.04
> (texlive).
>
> I compared the synctex files of both and the problem is that the
> link to the main tex file is missing at the start.
>
> The synctex files refers to a lot positions in input 0 but the file
> list starts with
>
> Input:1:D:/MiKTeX2.9/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>

> I added before this line
>
> Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex
>
> and then synchronization worked again. Imho this is a luatex bug.
>
> (the texlive synctex starts with number 1 and not 0
>   Input:1:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex)
i noticed this 0 /1 iusue too but it was ok in old viewers so mayeb that
changed .. fwiw, nothing changed in luatex where we just take the syntex
code as-is ... actually in sumatra starting at 1 is the only thing that
works

what i did notice (quick test on linux) is that the error that pops up
reports a missing source file and shows only the path part which looks
like a biug in the parser to me

there is not much documentation about the synctex file; actually, if an
editor would call out to an external program to resolve the location in
the file that would be more robust and easier to maintain, given the
one-call-per-document there is not that much gain in using a library in
the viewer; it would be easier to update and keep in sync with tex too
as now one depends on updating a viewer

Hans

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-21 13:21           ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-11-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 21 Nov 2017 14:15:02 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> synctex fails with lualatex on windows too. And it fails with with
>> the luatex version 1.06 (which is now in miktex) but not with 1.04
>> (texlive).
>>
>> I compared the synctex files of both and the problem is that the
>> link to the main tex file is missing at the start.
>>
>> The synctex files refers to a lot positions in input 0 but the file
>> list starts with
>>
>> Input:1:D:/MiKTeX2.9/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>>

>> I added before this line
>>
>> Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex
>>
>> and then synchronization worked again. Imho this is a luatex bug.
>>
>> (the texlive synctex starts with number 1 and not 0
>>   Input:1:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex)

> i noticed this 0 /1 iusue too but it was ok in old viewers so mayeb that
> changed .. fwiw, nothing changed in luatex where we just take the syntex
> code as-is ... actually in sumatra starting at 1 is the only thing that
> works

I don't think that the 0/1 issue is a problem in itself -- but I
think that the change of the numbering system introduced the real
bug: That the line

    Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex

is missing in the synctex file.

--

@ 2017-11-21 15:43             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-11-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2017 2:21 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 21 Nov 2017 14:15:02 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>

>>> synctex fails with lualatex on windows too. And it fails with with
>>> the luatex version 1.06 (which is now in miktex) but not with 1.04
>>> (texlive).
>>>
>>> I compared the synctex files of both and the problem is that the
>>> link to the main tex file is missing at the start.
>>>
>>> The synctex files refers to a lot positions in input 0 but the file
>>> list starts with
>>>
>>> Input:1:D:/MiKTeX2.9/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>>>

>>> I added before this line
>>>
>>> Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex
>>>
>>> and then synchronization worked again. Imho this is a luatex bug.
>>>
>>> (the texlive synctex starts with number 1 and not 0
>>>    Input:1:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex)
>
>> i noticed this 0 /1 iusue too but it was ok in old viewers so mayeb that
>> changed .. fwiw, nothing changed in luatex where we just take the syntex
>> code as-is ... actually in sumatra starting at 1 is the only thing that
>> works
>
> I don't think that the 0/1 issue is a problem in itself -- but I
> think that the change of the numbering system introduced the real
> bug: That the line
>
>      Input:0:G:/Z-Test/./test-utf8.tex
>
> is missing in the synctex file.
ok, we have a fix for that (but it doesn't explain why context generated
files make texshop unhappy)

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-22  8:25               ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-11-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:43:53 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> ok, we have a fix for that (but it doesn't explain why context generated
> files make texshop unhappy)

Well I don't have a mac and texshop. And I don't have a viewer with
the newest synctex parser (sumatra is from 2016).

But the synctex output of context is wrong in certain places. E.g.
when I compile this:

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

then the synctex file contains no reference to knuth.tex:

SyncTeX Version:1
Input:1:G:/Z-Test/test-utf8.tex
Output:pdf

and synchronization fails in sumatra for me too. \ReadFile doesn't
work either.

(I made this test with a context updated today).

--

@ 2017-11-22  8:30                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2017-11-22  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:43:53 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> ok, we have a fix for that (but it doesn't explain why context generated
>> files make texshop unhappy)
>
> Well I don't have a mac and texshop. And I don't have a viewer with
> the newest synctex parser (sumatra is from 2016).
>
> But the synctex output of context is wrong in certain places. E.g.
> when I compile this:
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> then the synctex file contains no reference to knuth.tex:
>
> SyncTeX Version:1
> Input:1:G:/Z-Test/test-utf8.tex
> Output:pdf
>
> and synchronization fails in sumatra for me too. \ReadFile doesn't
> work either.
>
> (I made this test with a context updated today).
the fix is already applied to the experimental-lua53 branch,
it will be soon in trunk .

--
luigi

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-22  8:39                   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-11-22  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:30:47 +0100 schrieb luigi scarso:

> the fix is already applied to the experimental-lua53 branch,
> it will be soon in trunk .

Oh. Is the context problem due to the luatex bug I reported?

It looked different to me ;-) In the luatex bug the main file was
missing but here inputs are ignored.

--

@ 2017-11-22  9:27                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2017-11-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:30:47 +0100 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> the fix is already applied to the experimental-lua53 branch,
>> it will be soon in trunk .
>
> Oh. Is the context problem due to the luatex bug I reported?
>
> It looked different to me ;-) In the luatex bug the main file was
> missing but here inputs are ignored.
for sure there was bug in luatex  that  skipped the very first entry
(the main file);
the patch fixed it, so that luatex works with evince & gedit under Ubuntu 16.04.

--
luigi

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-22  9:34                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-11-22  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/22/2017 9:39 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:30:47 +0100 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> the fix is already applied to the experimental-lua53 branch,
>> it will be soon in trunk .
>
> Oh. Is the context problem due to the luatex bug I reported?

no, we don't use any of the built-in synctex code so this is not
related; i have no clue what the issue with texshop and context synctex
files is

> It looked different to me ;-) In the luatex bug the main file was
> missing but here inputs are ignored.
indeed, the context variant outputs all relevant file references

Hans

* Re: synctex and TeXShop problem
@ 2017-11-22  9:48                       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-11-22  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:34:53 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> indeed, the context variant outputs all relevant file references

Well not for me.

As I wrote:

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

doesn't add a reference to knuth.tex on my system. The full synctex
file looks like this:

SyncTeX Version:1
Input:1:G:/Z-Test/test-utf8.tex
Output:pdf
Magnification:1000
Unit:1
X Offset:0
Y Offset:0
Content:
!118
{1
[0,0:0,0:0,0,0
v0,0:0,55380990:39158276,55380990,0
)
]
!63
}1
!7
Postamble:
Count:2
!22
Post scriptum:

and the log-file says:

system          > synctex functionality is enabled, expect 5-10 pct
runtime overhead!
open source     > level 2, order 3, name 'G:/Z-Test/test-utf8.tex'
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
open source     > level 3, order 4, name
'D:/context-minimals/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/common/knuth.tex'

--

@ 2017-11-22  9:57                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-11-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/22/2017 9:25 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:43:53 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> ok, we have a fix for that (but it doesn't explain why context generated
>> files make texshop unhappy)
>
> Well I don't have a mac and texshop. And I don't have a viewer with
> the newest synctex parser (sumatra is from 2016).
>
> But the synctex output of context is wrong in certain places. E.g.
> when I compile this:
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> then the synctex file contains no reference to knuth.tex:
>
> SyncTeX Version:1
> Input:1:G:/Z-Test/test-utf8.tex
> Output:pdf
>
> and synchronization fails in sumatra for me too. \ReadFile doesn't
> work either.
actually that is correct: in context we protect files that are in the
official tex tree as it's generally a bad idea if someone patches these
(there is no distinction here between a style and a sample file); also,
content that originates from styles and/or is generated on the fly makes
no sense for editing anyway so page ornaments are also not synced

\enabletrackers[system.synctex.visualize]

will show you what is synced

on the other hand, we do support (for as far as possible) xml nodes
which can be flushed in arbitrary order (it's why i added support:
editing xml files that are runtime assembled from upto thousands of
smaller xml files organized in 5 level deep directory structures so
there locating and editing a file is easier with synctex clicks)

Hans