* Ambitious project (Font Folio)
       [not found] <mailman.1.1236596402.14952.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-03-09 12:30 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-03-09 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello everybody,

I have an ambitious project in mind. I'm in position to make typescripts
for the whole Adobe Font Folio 11. By now, I'm only concerned with
Western/Cyrrilic Fonts (490+ fonts), and MKIV engine.

The benefit is that users will be able to use most popular fonts
out-of-the-box, thus giving the ConTeXt strong advantage in professional
typesetting world.

I think my effort will require some support from NTG ;o), but before
applying I'd like to hear your response.

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: Ambitious project (Font Folio)
@ 2009-03-09 12:59   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-03-09 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are also LinoType, MonoType and ITC pack installed on my machine.
So there are thousands and thousands fonts there.
Without an automatic font selecting mechanism / script, it will be
very difficulty to do that.

ConTeXt's font naming mechanism is very different with commercial
fonts. digital fonts themselves have their own distinct naming
conventions. For example, Frutiger's fonts use numbers to define the
weight/style of the font family.

Moreover, when company X release a font pack version N+1 and break/fix
old font presentation/file names, then you will be very busy fixing
those stuffs.

@ 2009-03-09 13:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-09 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I have an ambitious project in mind. I'm in position to make typescripts for
>> the whole Adobe Font Folio 11. By now, I'm only concerned with
>> Western/Cyrrilic Fonts (490+ fonts), and MKIV engine.
>>
>> The benefit is that users will be able to use most popular fonts
>> out-of-the-box, thus giving the ConTeXt strong advantage in professional
>> typesetting world.
>>
>> I think my effort will require some support from NTG ;o), but before
>> applying I'd like to hear your response.

why not apply for a tug soc project then

http://www.tug.org/gsoc/

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-03-09 13:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-09 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> There are also LinoType, MonoType and ITC pack installed on my machine.
> So there are thousands and thousands fonts there.
> Without an automatic font selecting mechanism / script, it will be
> very difficulty to do that.
>
> ConTeXt's font naming mechanism is very different with commercial
> fonts. digital fonts themselves have their own distinct naming
> conventions. For example, Frutiger's fonts use numbers to define the
> weight/style of the font family.

not only names of files, but also internal names are often inconsistent
which is why in mkiv every lookup is kind of normalized; another problem
is that there can be several weights (sets)

but some kind of structured approach (database, preview, etc) can b ehandy

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-03-09 14:01       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-03-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)