* Undefined control sequence. <argument> \c!gebied
@ 2004-10-11 12:25 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-10-11 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I tried several things to fix the error "Undefined control
sequence. <argument> \c!gebied," but it persists. I wiped out my entire
texmf.local tree and started from scratch because I thought the
c!gebied was residing in some older file that ha dnot been overwritten.
But even starting from scratch wouldn't amend the situation; after
regenerating the format, I get the same error. However, grepping for
"c!gebied" in the newly created tree gives only this result:

grep -r 'c!gebied' ./*
./tex/context/base/cont-sys.ori:% \setupexternalfigures
[\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]
./tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme:% \setupexternalfigures
[\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]

So this shouldn't be the problem since these two lines in cont-sys.rme
are commented out. Does anybody have an idea where the error is coming
from? There must be some old config file re-introducing it into the
format file, but I can't seem to find it.

Baffled

Thomas

* Re: Undefined control sequence. <argument> \c!gebied
@ 2004-10-11 12:55 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2004-10-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz schrieb:
> OK, I tried several things to fix the error "Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \c!gebied," but it persists. I wiped out my entire
> texmf.local tree and started from scratch because I thought the c!gebied
> was residing in some older file that ha dnot been overwritten. But even
> starting from scratch wouldn't amend the situation; after regenerating
> the format, I get the same error. However, grepping for "c!gebied" in
> the newly created tree gives only this result:
>
> grep -r 'c!gebied' ./*
> ./tex/context/base/cont-sys.ori:% \setupexternalfigures
> [\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]
> ./tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme:% \setupexternalfigures
> [\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]

I had the same problem.
There where two texexec.pl, one in perltk (the old place)
and one in scripts/context/perl
In the new texexec.pl the command is \c!directory.
The Solution was to delete the perlscripts in the directory
perltk.

Hope this helps.

Lutz

@ 2004-10-11 13:55   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-10-11 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that's not the problem here:
since I deleted the entire tree, there is no second texexec.pl in
web2c/context/perltk (which is where the scripts used to reside). In
your case, the problem went away after deleting the old scripts?
Interesting, and mysterious.

Best

Thomas

@ 2004-10-11 15:28 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <AB700476-1BA7-11D9-94BC-000A95B9ADE2@uni-bonn.de>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-10-11 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> OK, I tried several things to fix the error "Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \c!gebied," but it persists. I wiped out my entire
> texmf.local tree and started from scratch because I thought the c!gebied
> was residing in some older file that ha dnot been overwritten. But even
> starting from scratch wouldn't amend the situation; after regenerating
> the format, I get the same error. However, grepping for "c!gebied" in
> the newly created tree gives only this result:
>
> grep -r 'c!gebied' ./*
> ./tex/context/base/cont-sys.ori:% \setupexternalfigures
> [\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]
> ./tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme:% \setupexternalfigures
> [\c!gebied={e:/fig/eps,t:/mine/figs}]
>
> So this shouldn't be the problem since these two lines in cont-sys.rme
> are commented out. Does anybody have an idea where the error is coming
> from? There must be some old config file re-introducing it into the
> format file, but I can't seem to find it.

strange, can you send me the log file?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-10-11 15:33   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-10-11 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> I had the same problem.
> There where two texexec.pl, one in perltk (the old place)
> and one in scripts/context/perl
> In the new texexec.pl the command is \c!directory.
> The Solution was to delete the perlscripts in the directory
> perltk.

ah .. indeed, you need the texexec that matches the format!

this is one of the changes in the new tds: scripts are now under
tex/texmf.../scripts;

one way to deal with such changes from now on, is to use texmfstart, i.e.:

texexec.bat ==

@echo off
texmfstart texexec.pl %*

texmfstart will always be adapted to the latest changes in tds etc and
tries to be downward compatible

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found]         ` <416AE717.3010704@wxs.nl>
@ 2004-10-13  9:32           ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-10-13  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans and all,

again, thanks for your help! Everything is working as it should now.
After asking on the TeX on OSX mailing-list, I found out that there was
an experimental installation that already contains pdftex 1.20a, so I
upgraded. I changed texmf.cnf as you suggested to Christopher Creutzig
yesterday, regenerated mapfiles, and everything's bright again. But I
was sweating and cursing... If it hadn't been for a complete backup of
my old TeX installation on my second hard drive and your wonderful
help, I would have had a lot of serious troubles. I guess that's a
general problem with TeX installations: originally, they were made for
UNIX mainframes maintained by knowledgeable sys admins who would likely
know how to cope with such a situation. Nowadays, I assume that the
majority of TeX users sit in front of their own box, and even though I
can do some things on the command line and have by now acquired a
reasonabel amount of TeXpertise, I would have been absolutely helpless
without you and Gerben's great installer. So you're absolutely right:
downward compatibility is broken; it is difficult to make local changes
without wiping the entire installation. That's what you get from being
impatient...

All best, and thanks

Thomas