* mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-03 19:41 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-11-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I would like to be able to use ConTeXt at work for mail merging. The
issue here is that I don’t have any clue on how to do it with MKIV. I
don’t even know whehter this is possible at all.

BTW, searching for "merge" at the wiki, I found
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/An_Update_On_Essential_Elements_In_how_can_i_merge_google_plus_and_facebook,
which seems spam to me.

Is there any way to do mail merge with mkiv?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-03 21:52 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2014-11-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW, searching for "merge" at the wiki, I found
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/An_Update_On_Essential_Elements_In_how_can_i_merge_google_plus_and_facebook,
> which seems spam to me.

Thanks. Deleted.

There have been quite a few such pages created recently. Perhaps, our spam
detection algorithm when registering for a new account needs an update.

Aditya

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-05 15:42 ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2014-11-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Pablo.
I do very often mailmerge using ConTeXt. I do it with my lua library and
data in my external CSV file. Unfortunately I do not have a manual to
the my lua library. If you send me a minimal example of how you imagine
it, I'll send you back solving and my lualibrary too...

Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 3.11.2014 20:41, Pablo Rodriguez napsal(a):
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to be able to use ConTeXt at work for mail merging. The
> issue here is that I don’t have any clue on how to do it with MKIV. I
> don’t even know whehter this is possible at all.
>
> BTW, searching for "merge" at the wiki, I found
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/An_Update_On_Essential_Elements_In_how_can_i_merge_google_plus_and_facebook,
> which seems spam to me.
>
> Is there any way to do mail merge with mkiv?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>

> Pablo

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-06 17:57   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-11-06 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/05/2014 04:42 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello Pablo.
> I do very often mailmerge using ConTeXt. I do it with my lua library and
> data in my external CSV file. Unfortunately I do not have a manual to
> the my lua library. If you send me a minimal example of how you imagine
> it, I'll send you back solving and my lualibrary too...

Hi Jaroslav,

many thanks for your reply.

Is your library scancsv.lua and is it described at
http://public.hajtmar.com/files/TeX/TeXperience2011/knihovna_ScanCSVlua.pdf?
(I read a previous English version ;-)).

Do you have any plans to release it as a module? Or to publish it at GitHub?

The minimal sample would be envelopes such as:
\setuppapersize[C6, landscape]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\starttext
Name\\
Address\\
Postcode--City\\
\stoptext

csv file would be:

Name;Address;Postcode;City;
Me;Street;0000;Here;
You;Square;9999;There;

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-07 11:44     ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2014-11-07 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Pablo.

Here is the solution of your minimal example:
http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8XVkIkIhAVHyYsFgsZEzYXAw

Examples of more complex and comprehensive application of my
t-scancsv.lua mudule are available at:
http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8X

I zip the entire folder and you can download it at:
http://public.hajtmar.com/files/TeX/context/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module.zip

Perhaps those that serve well.

Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 6.11.2014 18:57, Pablo Rodriguez napsal(a):
> On 11/05/2014 04:42 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
>> Hello Pablo.
>> I do very often mailmerge using ConTeXt. I do it with my lua library and
>> data in my external CSV file. Unfortunately I do not have a manual to
>> the my lua library. If you send me a minimal example of how you imagine
>> it, I'll send you back solving and my lualibrary too...
> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> many thanks for your reply.
>
> Is your library scancsv.lua and is it described at
> http://public.hajtmar.com/files/TeX/TeXperience2011/knihovna_ScanCSVlua.pdf?
> (I read a previous English version ;-)).
>
> Do you have any plans to release it as a module? Or to publish it at GitHub?
>
> The minimal sample would be envelopes such as:
> \setuppapersize[C6, landscape]
> \setuppagenumbering[location=]
> \starttext
> Name\\
> Address\\
> Postcode--City\\
> \stoptext
>
> csv file would be:
>
> Name;Address;Postcode;City;
> Me;Street;0000;Here;
> You;Square;9999;There;
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>

> Pablo

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-08 10:09       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-11-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/07/2014 12:44 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello Pablo.
>
> Here is the solution of your minimal example:
> http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8XVkIkIhAVHyYsFgsZEzYXAw
>
> Examples of more complex and comprehensive application of my
> t-scancsv.lua mudule are available at:
> http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8X
>
> I zip the entire folder and you can download it at:
> http://public.hajtmar.com/files/TeX/context/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module.zip
>
> Perhaps those that serve well.

Many thanks for your reply, Jaroslav.

Since this feature may be useful to other users, how about including it
as a third-party module in the ConTeXt Suite?

Many thanks for your help again,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-09 14:59         ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2014-11-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Pablo.
The module I created about before 4 years ago, when I wanted to learn to
program in Lua. Therefore, I think that my module is too rudimentary and
not quite optimized. Unfortunately, since I do not now use much Lua, so
I dare not reasonably somehow finish. Before inclusion in third party
modules that would probably have to take some experienced Lua expert and
redo the whole module. For my needs it is enough. I use this module very
often for my practise (I am teacher). Perhaps it helped a little.
Greetings Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 8.11.2014 11:09, Pablo Rodriguez napsal(a):
> On 11/07/2014 12:44 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
>> Hello Pablo.
>>
>> Here is the solution of your minimal example:
>> http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8XVkIkIhAVHyYsFgsZEzYXAw
>>
>> Examples of more complex and comprehensive application of my
>> t-scancsv.lua mudule are available at:
>> http://public.hajtmar.com/?cesta=JRsVFQdsJhwoWyAdFwQROwZWBFkwERgeFzAEJjMbLSYcKAAcHxYUAS8X
>>
>> I zip the entire folder and you can download it at:
>> http://public.hajtmar.com/files/TeX/context/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module/t-scancsv_ConTeXt_module.zip
>>
>> Perhaps those that serve well.
> Many thanks for your reply, Jaroslav.
>
> Since this feature may be useful to other users, how about including it
> as a third-party module in the ConTeXt Suite?
>
> Many thanks for your help again,
>

> Pablo

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-09 21:49           ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-11-09 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/09/2014 03:59 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello Pablo.
> The module I created about before 4 years ago, when I wanted to learn to
> program in Lua. Therefore, I think that my module is too rudimentary and
> not quite optimized. Unfortunately, since I do not now use much Lua, so
> I dare not reasonably somehow finish. Before inclusion in third party
> modules that would probably have to take some experienced Lua expert and
> redo the whole module. For my needs it is enough. I use this module very
> often for my practise (I am teacher). Perhaps it helped a little.
> Greetings Jaroslav Hajtmar

Many thanks for the module, Jaroslav.

BTW, wouldn’t you know how can I set a \date using Lua that adds x
working days to the current date?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-09 23:17             ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2014-11-09 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Pablo.
Here is example of add days in Lua:

\startluacode
x=5 -- add five days
tex.print ('Actual date is :'..os.date('%d.%m.%Y')..'\\crlf')
tex.print ( 'And x days added date is :'.. os.date('%d.%m.%Y',os.time()+
x * 24 * 3600))
\stopluacode

Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 9.11.2014 22:49, Pablo Rodriguez napsal(a):
> On 11/09/2014 03:59 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
>> Hello Pablo.
>> The module I created about before 4 years ago, when I wanted to learn to
>> program in Lua. Therefore, I think that my module is too rudimentary and
>> not quite optimized. Unfortunately, since I do not now use much Lua, so
>> I dare not reasonably somehow finish. Before inclusion in third party
>> modules that would probably have to take some experienced Lua expert and
>> redo the whole module. For my needs it is enough. I use this module very
>> often for my practise (I am teacher). Perhaps it helped a little.
>> Greetings Jaroslav Hajtmar
> Many thanks for the module, Jaroslav.
>
> BTW, wouldn’t you know how can I set a \date using Lua that adds x
> working days to the current date?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>

> Pablo

* Re: mail merge in mkiv?
@ 2014-11-10  7:38           ` Keith Schultz
From: Keith Schultz @ 2014-11-10  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Jaraslav,

You might be willing to wikify it. I would be helpful for others.

regards
	Keith

@ 2014-11-10 16:46               ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-11-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/10/2014 12:17 AM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hello Pablo.
> Here is example of add days in Lua:
>
> \startluacode
> x=5 -- add five days
> tex.print ('Actual date is :'..os.date('%d.%m.%Y')..'\\crlf')
> tex.print ( 'And x days added date is :'.. os.date('%d.%m.%Y',os.time()+
> x * 24 * 3600))
> \stopluacode

Many thanks for the reply, Jaroslav.

I wanted to avoid Saturdays and Sundays, so I wrote:

\startluacode
x = 1
final_date = os.date('%a',os.time()+ x * 24 * 3600)
if final_date == "Sat" then
  x = x + 2
elseif final_date == "Sun" then
  x = x + 1
end
tex.print ( os.date('%d/%m/%Y',os.time()+ x * 24 * 3600))
\stopluacode

This is all Greek to me, but it seems to work.