* Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-05-31 13:31 Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2013-05-31 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I would like to put the \chapter and \section names, including their
respected numbers, in the header of my document, in small script and
separated from the main text by a horizontal line, the width of
\textwidth. On uneven pages the chapter-names, on even pages the
section names. Reading the manual (4.16 Headers and Footers), I
thought this should work:

\setuppagenumbering[start=start,alternative=doublesided,location=]
\setupheader[][style=small,after=\hrule]
\setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]

Problems: 1) the mark "chapter" does not work. The section title
appears but not the chapter title.
2) The chapter-number and the section-number don't appear in the header.
3) \hrule draws a line from the very left to the very right of the page.

My Questions: i) What is the "mark-mechanism" that is mentioned in the
manual (couldn't find any information about that).
ii) Why does chapter not work?
iii) \hrule is probably not the best command here?

I found the following somewhere in the web:

\setupheadertexts[{\tfx\fetchmark[section][first]}][][][{\tfx\fetchmark[chapter][current]}]

which gives me indeed the chapter-name.  Why "current" instead of
"first"? What do I have to add to get the numbers?

Thank you for your help!

Thomas

PS. I am using mkii, I belive, (texexec ...)

* Re: Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-05-31 15:35 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-05-31 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.05.2013 um 15:31 schrieb Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to put the \chapter and \section names, including their
> respected numbers, in the header of my document, in small script and
> separated from the main text by a horizontal line, the width of
> \textwidth. On uneven pages the chapter-names, on even pages the
> section names. Reading the manual (4.16 Headers and Footers), I
> thought this should work:
>
> \setuppagenumbering[start=start,alternative=doublesided,location=]
> \setupheader[][style=small,after=\hrule]
> \setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]
>
> Problems: 1) the mark "chapter" does not work. The section title
> appears but not the chapter title.
> 2) The chapter-number and the section-number don't appear in the header.
> 3) \hrule draws a line from the very left to the very right of the page.
>
> My Questions: i) What is the "mark-mechanism" that is mentioned in the
> manual (couldn't find any information about that).
> ii) Why does chapter not work?
> iii) \hrule is probably not the best command here?
>
> I found the following somewhere in the web:
>
> \setupheadertexts[{\tfx\fetchmark[section][first]}][][][{\tfx\fetchmark[chapter][current]}]
>
> which gives me indeed the chapter-name.  Why "current" instead of
> "first"? What do I have to add to get the numbers?

It does help when you can show us a minimal example for your document.

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-07-15 10:17   ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2013-07-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody,

learning my lesson for asking questions only with a minimal example
attached, please have a look at the following code

~~~ snip ~~~
\setuphead[chapter][page=yes,header=empty]
\setuppagenumbering[start=start,alternative=doublesided,location=]
\setupheader[][style=small]
\setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]

\starttext
\chapter{Anfang}
\section{Eins}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Zwei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Drei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\chapter{Mitte}
\section{Eins}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Zwei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Drei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Vier}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\chapter{Ende}
\section{Eins}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Zwei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\section{Drei}
\input knuth \input knuth \input knuth
\stoptext
~~~ snip ~~~

How can I get the chapter number and section number to also appear in
the header in front of the respected chapter title and chapter number?
I couldn't find the answer in the online documentation.

Thank you for your help.

Thomas

@ 2013-07-15 13:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-15 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.07.2013 um 12:17 schrieb Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> Hello everybody,
>
> learning my lesson for asking questions only with a minimal example
> attached, please have a look at the following code
>
> ~~~ snip ~~~
> \setuphead[chapter][page=yes,header=empty]
> \setuppagenumbering[start=start,alternative=doublesided,location=]
> \setupheader[][style=small]
> \setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]

\setupheadertexts
  [{\getmarking[sectionnumber]~\getmarking[section]}]
  [pagenumber]
  [pagenumber]
  [{\getmarking[chapternumber]~\getmarking[chapter]}]

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-07-15 14:23       ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2013-07-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does the job. I also realised that \setupheader[][style=small] doesn't
have an effect, too. So, I am using

\setupheadertexts
  [{\tfx{\getmarking[sectionnumber].~\getmarking[section]}}]
  [{\tfx\pagenumber}]
  [{\tfx\pagenumber}]
  [{\tfx{\getmarking[chapternumber].~\getmarking[chapter]}}]

now. Thank you, Wolfgang.

Thomas

2013/7/15 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

> Am 15.07.2013 um 12:17 schrieb Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> learning my lesson for asking questions only with a minimal example
>> attached, please have a look at the following code
>>
>> ~~~ snip ~~~
>> \setuphead[chapter][page=yes,header=empty]
>> \setuppagenumbering[start=start,alternative=doublesided,location=]
>> \setupheader[][style=small]
>> \setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]
>
> \setupheadertexts
>   [{\getmarking[sectionnumber]~\getmarking[section]}]
>   [pagenumber]
>   [pagenumber]
>   [{\getmarking[chapternumber]~\getmarking[chapter]}]
>
> Wolfgang

Thomas Friedrich
Fakultät Statistik
Technische Universität Dortmund
44221 Dortmund
Telefon: 0231 755 - 3116
FAX: 0231 755 - 5304
E-Mail: friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de

* Re: Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-07-15 14:33         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-15 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.07.2013 um 16:23 schrieb Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> Does the job. I also realised that \setupheader[][style=small] doesn't
> have an effect, too. So, I am using

Use \setupheader[style=small]. Empty arguments can be problematic because
some commands do different things depending on the number of arguments.

Wolfgang

* Re: Chapter-Names and Section-Names in Header don't work as expected
@ 2013-07-15 14:33         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-07-15 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 15, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Does the job. I also realised that \setupheader[][style=small] doesn't
> have an effect, too. So, I am using

\setupheader[style=small]

Aditya

@ 2013-07-15 15:02           ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2013-07-15 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah, cool, thanks, I really had no idea, this would be the problem.

I had a look at

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupheader

and, thus, thought that I would need to put the 'style=small'
statement in a second pair of squared brackets.

Cheers,