* luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-12 10:47 Akira Kakuto
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2019-04-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> The event manager says, that it is a stack exhaustion (0xc00000fd,
> STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW).

Many thanks. I'll increase size of stack.

Best,
Akira

* Re: luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-12  9:04 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2019-04-12  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 12.04.2019 um 07:36 schrieb Akira Kakuto:
>> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>
> I suspect that may be a limitation in 32bit binary.
> Try to install 64bit ConTeXt if you are using 32bit one
> and your OS is 64bit.

I'm already on 64bit, so that won't help here.

The event manager says, that it is a stack exhaustion (0xc00000fd,
STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW).
The PDF is data driven and I need to call a lot of functions per page to
collect all components and values for a complete 'Mech. This seems to
sum up and I just run out of stack memory after around 1000 pages.

Screenshots from the event manager (application error), Process Explorer
(peak memory values) and an outdated version of the PDF can be found here

https://spideroak.com/browse/share/indiego/public/RogueTech/

Peter

* Re: luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-12  7:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-12  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/12/2019 7:36 AM, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>
> I suspect that may be a limitation in 32bit binary.
> Try to install 64bit ConTeXt if you are using 32bit one
> and your OS is 64bit.
Indeed. Most memory or stack related overflows in the engine itself are
reported.

Maybe running with the task manager open will reveal an increase of memory.

Hans

* Re: luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-12  6:06 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2019-04-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM Akira Kakuto <kakuto@w32tex.org> wrote:

> > mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>
> I suspect that may be a limitation in 32bit binary.
> Try to install 64bit ConTeXt if you are using 32bit one
> and your OS is 64bit.

The other chance is the inclusion of a  pdf with an unusual image.

--
luigi

* luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-12  5:36 Akira Kakuto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2019-04-12  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2019-04-11 15:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-11 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/11/2019 12:28 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> I have a compilation problem with a data driven document.
> This is what I get after around 12min (first run)...

I'm still puzzled by this 12 min ... so less than one page per second
... do you need to process all that data each run? It's over a decade
ago that I could start a run and come back after an enforced break to
check. Is there some memory build up (swapping)? Is the speed linear?

\enabletrackers[pages.timing]

Will show the time spend per page.

> [..]
> pages           > flushing realpage 991, userpage 970, subpage 991
> pages           > flushing realpage 992, userpage 971, subpage 992
> pages           > flushing realpage 993, userpage 972, subpage 993
> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>

> It compiles fine if I just use the first or second "half" of the data.
> But as soon as I reach a certain amount of pages, it crashes.
> An older version compiled fine with 958 users pages (977 total). Seems
> that the data has reached a dimension that causes a resource problem.
>
> Any advice? I looked into "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" for possible
> bottlenecks, but I lack the knowledge what to change. And it simply
> takes too much (run)time to just play around with some values.
I'll add a \showusage commands that reports some stats per page so that
you can see what grows out of control.

Hans

* Re: luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-11 11:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-04-11 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/11/2019 12:28 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a compilation problem with a data driven document.
> This is what I get after around 12min (first run)...

that pretty slow ...

> [..]
> pages           > flushing realpage 991, userpage 970, subpage 991
> pages           > flushing realpage 992, userpage 971, subpage 992
> pages           > flushing realpage 993, userpage 972, subpage 993
> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>

> It compiles fine if I just use the first or second "half" of the data.
> But as soon as I reach a certain amount of pages, it crashes.
> An older version compiled fine with 958 users pages (977 total). Seems
> that the data has reached a dimension that causes a resource problem.
>
> Any advice? I looked into "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" for possible
> bottlenecks, but I lack the knowledge what to change. And it simply
> takes too much (run)time to just play around with some values.
you can try to bump values (trial and error) but for some you need to
remake the format

does lmtx also has that problem?

Hans

* luatex crash around page 1000
@ 2019-04-11 10:28 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2019-04-11 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a compilation problem with a data driven document.
This is what I get after around 12min (first run)...

[..]
pages           > flushing realpage 991, userpage 970, subpage 991
pages           > flushing realpage 992, userpage 971, subpage 992
pages           > flushing realpage 993, userpage 972, subpage 993
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571

It compiles fine if I just use the first or second "half" of the data.
But as soon as I reach a certain amount of pages, it crashes.
An older version compiled fine with 958 users pages (977 total). Seems
that the data has reached a dimension that causes a resource problem.

Any advice? I looked into "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" for possible
bottlenecks, but I lack the knowledge what to change. And it simply
takes too much (run)time to just play around with some values.

Peter

>context --version
mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 1.02
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file:
r:/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2019.04.04 13:31

>luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019/W32TeX)