* Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-28 11:44 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

since I switched from LaTeX to ConTeXt I am wondering why ConTeXt (actually pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5) \write18 enabled) gets so extremely slow when I use my own PostScript font.

Here is my little statistics (ConTeXT with default/my font - the same in LaTeX):

1)  \starttext
    W619Q
    \stoptext

(5 seconds)

2)  \usetypescriptfile[type-agaramond]
    \usetypescript[AGaramond]
    \setupencoding[default=ec]
    \setupbodyfont[AGaramond,10.5pt]%

    \starttext
    W619Q
    \stoptext

(12 seconds)

3)  \documentclass{book}
    \begin{document}
    W619Q
    \end{document}

(less then 1 second)

4)  \documentclass[pdftex]{book}
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage{textcomp}
    \usepackage[scaled,osf]{xagaramon}
    \begin{document}
    W619Q
    \end{document}

(1 second)

So it's 12 seconds compared to 5 seconds (or just 1 with LaTeX).
Is this normal?

Do I have a good chance that my typescript (see below) could be speeded up,
or is this -unfortunately- the regular way ConTeXt deals with PostScript fonts?

I'd be very happy for any help,

Steffen

"type-agaramond.tex" (for AGaramond Type1):

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
%
\starttypescript [serif] [agaramond] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Regular]        [padr9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Italic]         [padri9e] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Bold]           [padb9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-BoldItalic]     [padbi9e] [encoding=ec]
%
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Regular-OSF]        [padr9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Italic-OSF]         [padri9d] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Bold-OSF]           [padb9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-BoldItalic-OSF]     [padbi9d] [encoding=ec]
%
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Semibold]       [pads9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-SemiboldItalic] [padsi9e] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Semibold-OSF]       [pads9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-SemiboldItalic-OSF] [padsi9d] [encoding=ec]
%
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-RegularSC]         [padrc9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-SemiboldSC]        [padsc9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-RegularSC-OSF]         [padrc9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-SemiboldSC-OSF]        [padsc9d]  [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript
%
\starttypescript [serif] [agaramond] [name]
  \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]             [AGaramond-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]         [AGaramond-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]       [AGaramond-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]   [AGaramond-BoldItalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SemiBold]          [AGaramond-Semibold]
  \definefontsynonym [SemiBoldItalic]    [AGaramond-SemiboldItalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]         [AGaramond-RegularSC]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSemiCaps]     [AGaramond-SemiboldSC]
  \definefontsynonym [OldStyle]          [AGaramond-RegularSC-OSF]% the regular old-style figures are in the small-caps file
\stoptypescript
%
\starttypescript [AGaramond]
  \definetypeface [AGaramond] [rm] [serif] [agaramond] [default] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

* Re: Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-28 12:18 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum <st.wolfrum@estfiles.de> writes:

Hi,

> So it's 12 seconds compared to 5 seconds (or just 1 with LaTeX).
> Is this normal?

I have to say that this is normal. I haven't found any magic switch
yet to make ConTeXt faster.

> Do I have a good chance that my typescript (see below) could be speeded up,
> or is this -unfortunately- the regular way ConTeXt deals with
> PostScript fonts?

It is related to the \usetypescript command: it reloads all the
typescript files that have been declared with \usetypescriptfile.
Don't know why. There is probably a good reason, since Hans is
normally in mso-mode (maximum speed optimize).

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-28 13:36 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-09-28 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about speed, but perhaps some other
useful hints...

Am Sonntag, 28.09.03, um 13:44 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Steffen
Wolfrum:
> \usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

why?

> %
> \starttypescript [serif] [agaramond] [ec]
>   \definefontsynonym [AGaramond-Regular]        [padr9e]  [encoding=ec]

You should perhaps use "\defaultencoding" instead of "ec", that's more
flexible.
Or are your font files in ec? (I wouldn't use berry names at all, but
that's
a matter of taste.)

>   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]

I don't think that's necessary.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Re: Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-29  8:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-29  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:18 28/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>It is related to the \usetypescript command: it reloads all the
>typescript files that have been declared with \usetypescriptfile.
>Don't know why. There is probably a good reason, since Hans is
>normally in mso-mode (maximum speed optimize).

i admit that typescripts are not fast, but the advantages of the current
method is that i can change them easily as well as use different criteria
when loading them; i did some experiments with (memory hungry) preloading,
but on my system it made no real difference; normally the filesystem caches
the files quite well; file searching may take a while when the file table
(mktexlsr) is not up to date

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-29 11:37 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-29 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 12:39 29/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > i admit that typescripts are not fast, but the advantages of the current
> > > method is that i can change them easily as well as use different criteria
> > > when loading them; i did some experiments with (memory hungry) preloading,
> > > but on my system it made no real difference; normally the filesystem caches
> > > the files quite well; file searching may take a while when the file table
> > > (mktexlsr) is not up to date
> >
> >OK, but how can I at least switch off loading parts (typescripts, map
> >files... see below) that I don't need?
> >
> >I didn't dare to go to the source and comment in/out lines myself.
>
> you can of course make a minimal typescript file and then load only that
> one by setting:
>
> \def\typescriptfiles{yourfile.tex}
>
> Hans

Thank you. Much better now!

Steffen

* Re: Do typescripts slow down ConTeXt?
@ 2003-09-29 10:39 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> i admit that typescripts are not fast, but the advantages of the current
> method is that i can change them easily as well as use different criteria
> when loading them; i did some experiments with (memory hungry) preloading,
> but on my system it made no real difference; normally the filesystem caches
> the files quite well; file searching may take a while when the file table
> (mktexlsr) is not up to date

OK, but how can I at least switch off loading parts (typescripts, map files... see below) that I don't need?

I didn't dare to go to the source and comment in/out lines myself.

Steffen

Or does ConTeXt needs those map file internally?

pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
fonts          : [AGaramondOldStyle] [] []
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/user/type-agaramondminimini.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: texnansi-adobe-agaramond.map
fonts          : [AGaramondOldStyle] [rm] [serif] [agaramond-oldstyle]
fonts          : [map] [ec] []
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-map.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-adobe-utopia.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bit-charter.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antp.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antt.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-bookman.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-courier.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-helvetica.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-palatino.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-times.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-zapfchan.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-px.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-tx.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bh-lucida.map
pdftex         : needs map file: fourier.map
pdftex         : needs map file: fourier-utopia-expert.map