* color question
@ 2020-08-23 23:15 jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-08-23 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a very basic question about color use that someone will be able
to answer easily. The background to the question is that (i) I am
completely new to this scene of commercially[offset] print-ready
material as distinct from what is required on screen (ii) I am using Mk
IV (iii) I need spot colors set up for cmyk, and for now I need shades
between black and white (e.g. light gray) for a simple design feature.

My question is this: is the use of color keywords sufficient? Or in
other words, have predefined color names like lighgray already been
defined in, say cmyk terms behind the scenes, or must I instead
\definecolor[lightgray][c=10,m=7,y=5,k=0],   (or perhaps
\definespotcolor with those dimensions, or do I need both)?

Julian

* Re: color question
@ 2020-08-24  7:19 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-08-24  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 24.08.2020 um 01:15 schrieb jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>:
>
> I have a very basic question about color use that someone will be able to answer easily. The background to the question is that (i) I am completely new to this scene of commercially[offset] print-ready material as distinct from what is required on screen (ii) I am using Mk IV (iii) I need spot colors set up for cmyk, and for now I need shades between black and white (e.g. light gray) for a simple design feature.
>
> My question is this: is the use of color keywords sufficient? Or in other words, have predefined color names like lighgray already been defined in, say cmyk terms behind the scenes, or must I instead \definecolor[lightgray][c=10,m=7,y=5,k=0],   (or perhaps \definespotcolor with those dimensions, or do I need both)?

First: Color parts use decimal numbers from 0 to 1.

Even if some color names are predefined, you should define your grays yourself – either as shades of black only or maybe with a bit of cyan. Grays in more (process) colors are unstable and might get a tint (color cast) you don’t want. (Of course you could use other colors than cyan for some tinting, depending on your work.)

E.g. I often \definecolor[deepblack][c=.3,k=1] for black areas; the cyan portion evens out some irregularities in print.
Because I don’t trust ConTeXt’s (or my) color setup, I also \definecolor[cmykblack][k=1] to avoid “RGB black”. (But \setupcolor[cmyk=yes,rgb=no,overprint=yes] should handle that already.)

If you want to use grays as spot colors (e.g. Pantone) you must define them as such – but usually you don’t want (to pay for) more than one spot color. Spot gray makes sense if you have big areas of that color, since 100% spot color looks better than any percent rastered black.

See also:
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Color
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Spot_Colors

Hraban (printing engineer)

* Re: color question
@ 2006-10-12 13:04   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-10-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 10, 2006, at 12:30 PM, gnwiii@gmail.com wrote:

> On 10/10/06, Alan Bowen <acbowen@princeton.edu> wrote:
>> If this is OT, my apologies to all.
>>
>> I am currently using ConTEXt to produce PDFs with a colored
>> background which I specify using R G B settings. Unfortunately, this
>> background does not look the same when others open the files on their
>> computers. Is there anything I can do at my end to correct this?
>
> There are well-known differences between various computer brands, and
> individual PC's generally vary widely. If you need really good
> agreement, then all the systems need to be viewed under similar light
> conditions and calibrated (e.g., using a colorimeter, or at least the
> GretagMacbeth ColorChecker, a printed chart) and you want to generate
> PDF's with a specific colorspace (not just deviceRGB).  For most
> purposes, it seems to work to use a rough "sRGB" setting where you
> adjust the monitor (brightness, contrast) to approximate gamma=2.2.
> Check this with:
> <http://www.normankoren.com/
> makingfineprints1A.html#Monitor_test_pattern>.
>
> Many LCD's and worn-out CRT's like the ancient NCD on my desk will
> fail even this simple test.
>
> --
> George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
> Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Henning and George—

Thanks for the replies. I had suspected that I was at the start of a
search for yet another Holy Grail. Still, I will look into this sRGB
(which is new to me), but first I had better see if I can calibrate
my own monitor properly. (It failed the Monitor test.)

Alan

* Re: color question
@ 2006-10-10 16:44 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-10-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-10-10 um 13:52 schrieb Alan Bowen:

> I am currently using ConTEXt to produce PDFs with a colored
> background which I specify using R G B settings. Unfortunately, this
> background does not look the same when others open the files on their
> computers. Is there anything I can do at my end to correct this?

Color almost never looks the same on some other screen - you can't
force everyone to calibrate theirs and use proper color management
settings...

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: color question
@ 2006-10-10 16:30 ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-10-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-10-10 11:52 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-10-10 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-05-27 21:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-27 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:03 AM 5/23/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>When I try
>
>\startcolor[blue]
>\rightaligned{\framed[background=screen]{historic background}}
>\stopcolor

the problem seems to be related to screens,

background=color,backgroundcolor=red

works ok, (screens are normally only used in (page) backgrounds and there
they don't nest, and since they don't form a color stack (just raw gray
scale switches) this goes wrong inside color, maybe i should implement a
stack)

Hans

================ can go into cont-new.tex ================

\def\setrastercolor#1%
   {\edef\@@cl@@s{#1}%
    \ifx\@@cl@@s\empty
      \let\@@rsraster
    \fi
    \setevalue{\??cr\??rs}{\colorSpattern}}

\def\localstartraster[#1]%
   {\bgroup\setrastercolor{#1}\localstartcolor[\??rs]}

\def\localstopraster
   {\localstopcolor\egroup}

\def\startraster[#1]%
   {\bgroup\setrastercolor{#1}\startcolor[\??rs]}

\def\stopraster
   {\stopcolor\egroup}

This alternative is slower, but run on top of the color mechanism

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: color question
@ 2002-05-27 20:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, roegel

At 06:03 AM 5/23/2002 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

>When I try
>
>\startcolor[blue]
>\rightaligned{\framed[background=screen]{historic background}}
>\stopcolor
>
>I get no blue at all, even though I have
>
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>
>Is this what is supposed to happen?

no, this smells like a bug (actually an interference between catching a
global doc color problem (we need to make sure that no lone color marks end
up on empty pages, as well as forgroundcolors in framed texts),

i will look into it

Hans

@ 2002-05-23  4:03 Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2002-05-23  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: roegel

When I try

\startcolor[blue]
\rightaligned{\framed[background=screen]{historic background}}
\stopcolor

I get no blue at all, even though I have

\setupcolors[state=start]

Is this what is supposed to happen?

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: Color question
@ 1999-06-02  7:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-06-02  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> Suppose I want all text set with \starttyping...\stoptyping, as in
>
>  \starttyping
> >> [x,y]=meshgrid(-2:.1:2);
> >> z=-3*y./(x.^2+y.^2+1);
> >> contour(x,y,z)
>  \stoptyping
>
> to be red. What's the best way to go about it?

Wait till the next release. In the texexec/texutil manuals I posted a
few days ago, you can see this feature at work.

Before I post it, I muts be sure that the color directives don't
interfere with spacing. Actually it's only 4 lines of code and a color
key in the setup macros.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Color question