* Fwd:  columnsets messed up
       [not found] <233FE0DA-C7E2-4629-A764-3B23B5A9D859@fiee.net>
@ 2021-07-02 12:49 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2021-07-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 02.07.2021 um 11:03 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net <mailto:texml@fiee.net>>:
>

>> Am 02.07.2021 um 08:51 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl <mailto:j.hagen@xs4all.nl>>:
>>
>> On 7/1/2021 8:04 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I’m working at the current CG journal whose layout uses columnsets. They aren’t usable any more. Same in current LMTX and MkIV.
>>> - the first line can start one or more lines lower
>>> - then the same number of lines is printed over each other at the bottom
>>> - it gets worse with footnotes (looks like their space isn’t considered at all)
>>> - if the column set doesn’t start at the top of the page, the second column does
>>> Hraban
>>> \definecolumnset[cgjcolset][n=2]
>>> \starttext
>>> \chapter{This is a chapter about column sets}
>>> \startcolumnset[cgjcolset]
>>> \dorecurse{20}{
>>> \samplefile{sapolsky}\par
>>> }
>>> \stopcolumnset
>>> \stoptext
>> Personally I'd never use columnsets for anything else than very controlled situations because that's what they were made for. Not to be mixed with the normal pagebuilder. So, first of all you need to operate on the grid (i can probably get rid of some side effects and maigt even force that but not now). Then, \chapter itself flushes pages so that should be disabled.
>
> Thank you, I got it mostly working now.

In several articles I get a problem, and I can’t (yet) reproduce it in a MWE:

The text in a two-column columnset suddenly breaks at the end of a left column, the end is missing.

Here’s an example PDF:
https://sedna.fiee.net/f/24d54a952b0243a98775/?dl=1

What could case that?

Hraban

* Re: columnsets messed up
@ 2021-07-04  8:40   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2021-07-04  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 02.07.2021 um 14:49 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
> In several articles I get a problem, and I can’t (yet) reproduce it in a MWE:
>
> The text in a two-column columnset suddenly breaks at the end of a left column, the end is missing.
>
> Here’s an example PDF:
> https://sedna.fiee.net/f/24d54a952b0243a98775/?dl=1
>
> What could case that?

Even curioser:

If there isn’t a \page after \stopcolumnset, the second-to-last section (subject) disappears and the last one is typeset completely.

(Later:)
Ok, found it:

\def\stopArticle{%
  \par\signArticle
  \doif{\getvariable{CG-Journal}{NOFColumns}}{>1}
  {\stopcolumnset}
  \page
}

--> \stopcolumnset is never executed, since \doif can’t handle ">1". – Did it ever or is this a regression?

Hraban